|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Miles per day/hours on the road

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wolvereeny

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to take into consideration, that you don't break camp and get ready to leave as you would in a motel, It takes time and even if you don't hook up, we still find we don't leave as early as we might from a hotel.We spent a week in Yellowstone there is a lot to see and do.

Jnccpf

Southbury CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The kids will have their electronics, iTouch/pod and some games to play.

Jim
1998 Gulfstream Conquest
Class C, 24Ft

Jnccpf

Southbury CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I willingly acknowledge the newbie factor, how long does it take to depart from an overnight stay. I am thinking we would hook to water/electric and then a stop at the dumping station.

mwebber78

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I said, done it twice and it's doable. Our kids are younger and they had the iPad, puzzle books, craft kits, and of course the LCD/DVD system. They would also do some snoozing in the afternoon in their seats. Just be prepared to have a day or two when everyone's had enough being trapped in the MH.

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

hmknightnc

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are talking about 4 12hour days driving one way. With 18 days I would suggest you drive 2 days, stop a day somewhere and then drive 2 days again. Do the samething coming back on a different route. Leaves you 8 days in yellowstone.

My family spends a lot of time on the road showing horses during the year. Most drives are 300 or so miles but about 4 trips are 600 miles. We do the 600 in 1 day but I can tell you nobody is happy at the end of the one of those days. Now keep in mind we are pulling big heavy trailers (2 18k# horse trailers, a FW and an equipment trailer pluse other families occassional with TTs and FWs) I imagine a Class C is probably easier on the attitude than those monsters with live animals aboard.

Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get 2250 miles, all on expressways or toll roads (across northern Ohio) as the shortest. With rest/gas stops I average 50 MPH, driving 60. So, 45 hours behind the wheel.

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our trip run 300 to 400 miles a day. Weather has a lot to do with it.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe you are younger but we never come close to 600 miles nor do we want to. Our goal is no more than 300something, arrive at the campground in plenty of time to get a site and set up for a 6 PM dinner. Of course occassional exceptions are necessary but 450 would be tops. RVing and hurry up quick trips are incompatible in our opinion. I understand your shortness of time but I would reconsider.

Jayco-noslide

phillyg

Front Royal, VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it all comes down to your ability to drive long hours. I know I can't drive as long as I did when in my 20s. I get really get tired after 350 miles and six hours seems to be my max before I start to get sloppy.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

dahkota

Fulltiming

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In June 2011, we left DC at 4PM, bound for Glacier National Park. The first night we made it to just past Indianapolis by about 3AM, a little over 600 miles. The next morning, we started around 10AM and made it to just outside Mitchell SD around midnight, a little over 800 miles. The next day we made it to the badlands by noon where we over-nighted, then to Custer State Park where we spent three nights. We had the advantage of no children in the car. We also don't mind driving if we need to, to get where we are going. We also spent 3 nights in Yellowstone, 4 nights in Glacier, 2 nights in Teddy Roosevelt, a night near the Dells in Wisconsin, and two other nights at various spots on the road in Montana. We arrived back in DC on what would have been our 19th night.

It can be done, it really just depends on your tolerance levels. DH and I have very high tolerances and have been traveling like this for years. If we know that we will have a few days down time we can easily crunch out 700 miles. We did it again in September 2012, going 700 miles on day one and 850 miles on day 2. Day 3 we were in Mesa Verde.

Just a heads up though - we can drive these times because we stop at rest stops, not campgrounds. Hooking, unhooking, packing, unpacking - entirely too much time and trouble. But, we don't have kids, don't have to open our slides, and can carry enough water for a shower and coffee. Staying at a campground, you need to arrive by 7PM (courtesy) and be ready to leave again by 6AM just to get enough hours to cover 600-700 miles.

2008 Ford F250 diesel
2013 Keystone Sprinter 277RLS
States camped, 2014: 15

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Miles per day/hours on the road
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts