|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Miles per day/hours on the road

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Olddud

Lost in Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will more than likely run into lots of high winds out west, which can really tire you out. And they always seem to be blowing at right angles to your direction, or head on --- never from the rear!

Mick9064

Albany New York

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wife and I have made the trip cross country 4 times, We average 800 miles day one. 700 miles day two and 600 day three. Always stay at a Flying J or rest area. We average 50 miles per hour with stops. Talking books really help pass the time.
Have fun!
Mick

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My calculator is 50 mph x the amount of road hours. That compensates for all the stops. Any more than 50 mph and we are pushing it, driving hard. When we were younger with kids, we used to drive 24/7 until we got to our destinations, and our return trips. But we now do that only on our final day home with a long nap planned on the road. There will be a time when we won't do it at all. As we get older, it gets harder. We are 55 this year.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

TyroneandGladys

Chandler AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fla-gypsy wrote:

300 miles or about 5 hours is my limit. When I go on vacation it is to relax and enjoy it. Driving 12 hours per day does not fit into that equation.

Tyrone & Gladys
26' 1986 Coachmen

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fla-gypsy wrote:

300 miles or about 5 hours is my limit. When I go on vacation it is to relax and enjoy it. Driving 12 hours per day does not fit into that equation.

Folks are just different.

To take three days to cross MO, KS and NE would tense me up.

It still took us 32 hours counting sleeping 6 hours at a WM to get to Badlands to our first cross country stop.

With teenagers they pushed me to keep going hour after hour because they could sleep and wake up where they wanted to be the next morning. Teenagers like to stay on the move from my experience and get bored just hanging out in a CG.

When they woke up at the rest stop over looking Bear Lake in UT they were impressed that we were at the same level of the cloud over the lake then it was off horse back riding for them while I rested.

squires5

Winthrop, ME

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're planning a trip from central Maine to Orlando in April-
Our road trip is planned as follows:
Leave Thursday 4PM- drive overnight to get past the NY, NJ, traffic before morning rush hour. We're planning on driving until mid afternoon and staying overnight VA/NC border. I'll hook up electric but probably not water (i'll fill use on board tank).
Day 2 500 miles to the Florida border.
Day 3 250 miles to Orlando

I'll let you know the results----
we're traveling with 3 (9,10,16) but I figure they will sleep on the couch and table overnight and during the day they have tv, dvd's games, and ipods.

I remember doing the same trip with my parents when I was around 13 with a van and TT so I know it can be done

1998 Coachmen Lepracaun 30MB
DH'70&DW'69
DS'96,DS'03,DD'04

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It can be done but I would not enjoy it. We have gone from Atlanta to N.of Detroit in 1 day when a SIL got killed in a motorcycle accident. We also went from Philadelphia to the same in 1 day when our daughter said she had a car accident, broke her elbow and a tornado had taken all of the siding off the house. Fortunately we didn't have to drive a second day. You are also bypassing one of the great sights in the Black Hills. There is so much to see and do there and it is 1 1/2 days closer. Now days we use the 10-3 travel time. My MH is now 10 years old and I have not needed the headlights yet, except in rain.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

sjn7708

illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to do some long distance motorcycling and the general rule for planning a normal motorcycle trip was plan your first day to be the longest, but usually by day 3 or 4 cut that mileage in half. Obviously its a little different in a car or rv, but your mileage will drop as the trip goes on. Having said that, I have done 600 miles in a day with 2 young kids. they do travel better in a motorhome than a car, esp if there is another adult along to help out. But I agree I wouldnt want to do more than 2 days like that without a rest break. We are going to Disney in March, 1200 miles each way and are planning 2 days out and 3 back.

revump

Deer Park, WA or Las Vegas, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

too many hours and too many days = Sciatic Nerve problems

Bob

nelson

Clio,Mi USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 04:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First day out is always the best day, We get an early start about 4am and run day getting off the road about 4pm only making quick stops for gas eat a stretch our legs. How far you get depends on how often and how long you stop. We are in a MH so we only stop when I need to get out of the seat and lunch is ready when we stop for lunch so it's quick.

2002 Damon Challenger 348 Ford V10
Blue Ox Auto Stop and Aventa II Tow Bar
2001 Ford Sport Trac with Remco Driveshaft Disconnect

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Miles per day/hours on the road
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts