|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Miles per day/hours on the road

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Supercharged wrote:

I didn't know driving at high speed on a free way for day after day is part of a vacation.
Actually my wife and I really enjoy our long drives across the country in our class-C. That is one of the primary reasons for having the C. It is a great time to talk, read, listen to music, watch a movie, and simply enjoy eachother's company. It's a time to slow down inside.

The same in the day when we had kids with our more basic C. They would play games and cards in back, doing things together that they just didn't do when at home. Now our kids are 25-30 years old. They talk about the good times in the motor home much more than the destinations.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Calisdad

groveland, ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you considered flying then renting an RV when you get there?

We don't like doing extended days driving, doing 4 or 5 hours. We can add an hour or 2 if we share driving. I have driven with a friend who likes to drive and just drives until he gets to his destination, stopping only when necessary, but it takes a lot of preparation and a competent navigator.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

Supercharged wrote:

I didn't know driving at high speed on a free way for day after day is part of a vacation.
Actually my wife and I really enjoy our long drives across the country in our class-C. That is one of the primary reasons for having the C. It is a great time to talk, read, listen to music, watch a movie, and simply enjoy eachother's company. It's a time to slow down inside.

The same in the day when we had kids with our more basic C. They would play games and cards in back, doing things together that they just didn't do when at home. Now our kids are 25-30 years old. They talk about the good times in the motor home much more than the destinations.

Driving the MH hour after hour is just about as satisfying as bush hogging all day on the tractor EXCEPT it cost a lot more driving the MH.

I think some people just get bored very easy and have no sense of excitement about seeing what is around the next curve. Just seeing all the different kinds of equipment being hauled down the interstates can be so exciting especially when you are passing it slowly when it is on your side of the road. I really enjoyed US16 from Rushmore Cave to I-90 in WY. Some towns are like run down museums as you can guess about past industries and life styles and imagine the family life and the kids that played on those old school play grounds.

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/13 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gale Hawkins wrote:

ron.dittmer wrote:

Supercharged wrote:

Driving the MH hour after hour is just about as satisfying as bush hogging all day on the tractor EXCEPT it cost a lot more driving the MH.

I think some people just get bored very easy and have no sense of excitement about seeing what is around the next curve. Just seeing all the different kinds of equipment being hauled down the interstates can be so exciting especially when you are passing it slowly when it is on your side of the road. I really enjoyed US16 from Rushmore Cave to I-90 in WY. Some towns are like run down museums as you can guess about past industries and life styles and imagine the family life and the kids that played on those old school play grounds.
Oh yes, I failed to include watching our great country unfold around us. That too is primary for us.

snowdance

State of Jefferson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/13 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MY brother-in-law did not like to travel with us. He would just meet us there. His only intrest was to be there. 800 mile or more days were common and he only stopped for fuel.. We once made a side trip on the old Oregon Trail driving the original road that went thru farms between the house and the barn. So they were food or rest stops and stage coaches changed horses there. It was a great trip with eagles dropping down to the river beside us and getting fish. Some just flying along beside our rig holding the fish. A breath taking view of the Marble wilderness ect. When we got to the end and stopped for fuel I told him how much enjoyed it. He said he did not see any of that stuff. It was just a winding road that used up his time. He went ahead then and drove all night to get to where we got 3 days later.. We do not all see things the same....

Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/13 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we were in our 30's, with little kids, we'd go nuts with preparations and be nervous wrecks when starting out and on the way. I was always in a hurry to "get there" and resisted stopping. After we camped it took me a couple of days to relax and enjoy camping. Over time we all learned to enjoy the trip, take frequent rest stop breals, and enjoy the scenery passing by, especially on secondary roads through farm country and coastal areas. There are local museums and points of interest that we still talk about 40 years later. Our grown kids still talk about travelling and camping experiences. We often took along kid's friends which made it a lot better for our kids.

noe-place

Somerset, Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/13 01:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've travelled from southern Kentucky to Yellowstone a number of times. We leave at dawn and I drive until I get tired then usually pick a nice truck stop to catch some zzzz's. It's not unuaual for me to drive 600 miles before taking a long break. We've also been to Orlando and Disney a few times and I have driven from Disney back to Kentucky only stopping to refuel; a distance of about 750 miles. It just depends on how quickly you want to reach your destination but don't let your excitement overide your need for proper break stops. To give you actual numbers ideally I'd take 3 days to drive from your location to Yellowstone with the same number to drive home. This should leave about 12 days to tour Yellowstone which can be done. We choose a section to visit daily and have seen or done about everything Yellowstone offers except for hiking the back country. There's enough to do in Y'stone to spend your whole vacation there but you can also drive down to the Tetons and Jackson Hole fairly easily depending on where you stay in Yellowstone.

shawdowboss

Ames, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/13 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We only really try to do 500 miles (50MPH x 10 hours) on a given travel day. This gives time for road work, the unforseen breakdowns, etc. Have had several planned 500 mile days and ended up 14 hours due to the unforseen.

Depending on where you stay in Yellowstone, it can take a day to cover 200 miles due to the MPH in the area. Yellowstone is generally 35MPH (and about 1MPH with the animal sightseer jams).

Buffalo-Cody-Yellowstone can take about 4-5 hours alone. You only will average about 35MPH going up and down the mountains on US16 (slightly more if you go to the northern enterances and stay on I-90). US 16 is a very nice route and pretty easy to drive with good stops at Ten Sleep & Cody. There are long streches of flat land, but the moutain climbs/decends take the time.

If you stay in southern Yellowstone near the Tetons, coming up from Rock Springs WY you can miss quite a bit of the mountains and gain a bit more speed.

2006 Gulfstream Ultra 6331
33' Super C
8.1L V8 Gas

TyroneandGladys

Chandler AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/13 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the things I enjoy in planning a trip is if I can find someplace interesting to stay or see after 300 miles of travel.

Tyrone & Gladys
26' 1986 Coachmen

oldtrucker63

Harlan Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/13 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jnccpf wrote:

Total vacation time is about 2 1/2 weeks. The thought was to leave the Wednesday before July 4 and return on July 21, so 18 days. I was hoping to get to Cody on the 6th, and arrive in Yellowstone on the 7th
That should be plenty of time, You should average 50 MPH, 12 Hours and that will give you time for fuel stops, It's a long drag to the Ohio state line So after you make that then you will have the next 600 going down easy.

Without Trucks,....America Stop's

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Miles per day/hours on the road
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS