RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks near Wash DC?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> RV Parks near Wash DC?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
JQgolf

Sacramento area, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 06:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heading from Calif to East Coast this spring, and looking for a park near Wash DC that is not to far away or we can get to a metro or bus near by? What town, state so I can look them out?

brirene

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Possibly heading there too, and from previous threads it looks likeCherry Hill is very popular with those who have been.

Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion,Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

JQgolf

Sacramento area, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Brirene, thats what I'm looking for. Anyone else know of others they have used or liked?

dahkota

Fulltiming

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 06:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't require hook ups, Greenbelt (National) Park is nice.

2008 Ford F250 diesel
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped, 2014: 22

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cherry Hill 2X. The DC shuttle bus comes right to the park and takes you to the Metro station.

Glendale Titanium 29E34TS fifth wheel
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
PullRite OE Series Super5th 18K
Superbumper

happynow

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cherry Hill Park in College Park, Maryland is among the better choices just outside of DC and near Metro. IF CHP is booked, consider what other destinations you will visit while in the area, to help with the search for a campground in Maryland or Virginia. Popular times like the Cherry Blossom Festival you may find closest campgrounds booked in advance.
Good Luck and safe travels

happynow

Krazykid

South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are staying at Pohick bay regional park, which seems to be another recommended campground. Also I have read that bull run regional park is nice and I think there is Faifax county park. I guess it all depends on the features and distance you want to drive. Good luck.

jim1632

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Apparently Cherry Hill is the only DC park to have a bus connection to Metro. Note that this is not a free service but it will avoid any expenses (monetary or emotional) of driving in the area.

Greenbelt Nat Park is located near to Cherry Hill but offers no hook-up services. It does have a dump station. This would be cheapest possible location for access to Metro.

Other parks are Pohick Bay Regional with full hook-ups, along I-95 south of DC and requiring a drive to a Metro parking lot. Problem is that parking lots fill up with commuters. Bull Run Regional is near Manassas, VA with full hook-ups. Again, you need to drive to Metro parking lot.

Metropolitan DC area is too expensive to support many campgrounds. Look at Cherry Hill rates when you investigate them. BUT - just try to find a cheap, convenient hotel room. Your tax dollars support the free museums, zoo and such but everything else is at market price or more.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cherry Hill is well known and popular, although I've never stayed there. Pohick Bay Regional Park is also popular and I have stayed there. It is lovely, but hard to get into, generally requiring reservations.

footslogger

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have stayed at Brunswick City Campground owned/operated by the town of Brunswick MD. It a little ways from DC (50 mi?) but is within walking distance to a major Amtrak commuter station where you can catch a ride to Union Station in DC. From there you can walk to many of the downtown DC attractions, or you can connect to the Metro. I can't recall the camping rates, but I seem to remember they were very reasonable. It is on the Potomac River and also adjacent to the C&O canal towpath park, which is great for bike riding. There is also lots of Civil War history nearby including Harper's Ferry and Antietam battlefield. We love the area.

footslogger

2004 Country Coach Allure 33' Cummins 370HP ISL
400 Watt Solar Array. M&G Braking System
2003 Honda Element (and as many canoes as I can carry!)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> RV Parks near Wash DC?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS