RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks near Wash DC?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> RV Parks near Wash DC?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
noe-place

Somerset, Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been to DC a number of times and Cherry Hill is the only place we will stay since it has everything we want and a free bus to the metro. Save a ton of time.

happynow

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 05:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

footslogger wrote:

We have stayed at Brunswick City Campground owned/operated by the town of Brunswick MD. It a little ways from DC (50 mi?) but is within walking distance to a major Amtrak commuter station where you can catch a ride to Union Station in DC. From there you can walk to many of the downtown DC attractions, or you can connect to the Metro. I can't recall the camping rates, but I seem to remember they were very reasonable. It is on the Potomac River and also adjacent to the C&O canal towpath park, which is great for bike riding. There is also lots of Civil War history nearby including Harper's Ferry and Antietam battlefield. We love the area.

Great recommendation,Footslogger. Reasonably priced, friendly CG if you have time. 75 min drive to DC. Amtrak is pleasant commute to DC attractions especially M-F. Brunswick is our favorite CG (just under an hour drive for us) on weekends to kayak, fish and camp on the Potomac River...away from DC hustle bustle : )
A caution I hesitate to mention: Flooding in the area.Rarely happens and would have to be at or near historic levels for it to affect Brunswick CG but the very reason it is such a lovely spot also means it is more vulnerable to very high water after a storm.

happynow

lat471

Lebanon, PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cherry Hill seems to be the spot. We just booked for the week before Easter. Hoping the Cherry Blossoms are open. The Cherry Blossom Festival runs from the middle of March to the middle of April. The plan is to take the DC trip from the CG then a day at Manassas Battle field and maybe to Mt Vernon.

07 Cameo F35FD3
The Black Cloud

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are looking for a commercial campground within a reasonable travel distance and access to the metro to D.C. there really is nothing else other than Cherry Hill.

The rest are regional parks in Maryland and Virginia and many of those are fine, but they are not offering the amenities (if that is important to you) that Cherry Hill offers. As said, there is a public bus that stops at the gate of Cherry Hill and takes you to the Metro Station. The bus trip is 20 to 30 minutes as it does its route - stopping at other stops - and then the Metro ride is about 30 minutes into D.C. to the Mall which is central to where most attractions are located.

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

ependydad

Columbia, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bull Run Regional Park in Centreville, VA. You'll have to drive to a metro stop, but then it's a quick jaunt into the city. Beautiful park.

2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion hitch
Nights Camped: 2013: 47, 2012: 52, 2011: 28
Learning to RV, mishaps and adventures - Towing Planner - Calculators + Estimators

happynow

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Capitol KOA Campground in Millersville, MD if you are searching for a commercial campground with ammenities. I have not stayed there, well rated.

GoneCamping

Chesapeake, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/13 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe Pohick Bay Regional Park is about 15 minutes away from transit area...

*Cliff*
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration!"

2000 Ford F-150
2005 Coachmen Spirit of America 300 TBS
Chesapeake, Virginia

D & M

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This blog page lists a lot of the DC area campgrounds and gives the writer's perspective on them.

SInce this is your first visit to DC, you're best bet is Cherry Hill. Well kept campground, close to restaurants and food stores, the staff is very familiar with DC and can help you with your visit. The WMATA bus stops right at the camp store and takes you right to the Metro stop in College Park. And as I remember, the CG has a shuttle to the Metro. Or if you have a toad, you can drive over to the Green Belt Metro station (just a few minutes away). Don't plan on driving downtown. Its just a big hassle for first time visitors. I don't like to drive downtown and I live here. The Metro is user friendly and will take you to all of the tourist spots downtown.

Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (the Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

WARNING: Do not grow up. It's a trap!

JQgolf

Sacramento area, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/13 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great info, just what I needed. Probablly would like hookups, but could go a few days without. Last time we were in DC (not camping), we had a monsoon and all federal employees were sent home. What a mess and us tourist in an open sided trolley!!!

resmas

temporarily displaced Alaskan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/13 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a Maryland DNR State Park that is just south of DC. Drivetime from the campground to Bolling AFB (using it as a landmark) in rush hour is about 30 minutes, and even less time to get to the major roadways surrounding DC.

The campground has 30amp service and water at each site. Dump station is easy to get to in the campground. All sites are back-in, but all are wide and about 5 of them are big enough to be accessed by large rigs (our TH is 43' and we fit...). The campground is a ghost-town during the week, but is full of families on the weekends. Cost is ~$28/night.

Clicky to the campground website

Also, there is bus service nearby to get you to a metro station. You could easily leave your vehicle parked in Indian Head or Bryan's Rd without worry - very quiet communities. Probably be okay in Accokeek, too, but there is more crime there...

This should be a clicky to the bus schedule/route.

I have been thru downtown DC a few times in a school bus and in our dually. It's not exactly fun... Lots of traffic and pedestrians. Haven't yet ridden any public transportation, but we might soon... But anything in the Mall/White House area we will access in our own vehicle, since DH's job entitles him to a reserved parking spot down there that we can use anytime.

2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> RV Parks near Wash DC?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS