|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Near Miss Propane Freak Accident

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After traveling about 100 miles I went into the FW and noticed immediately a very strong propane smell. I closed the propane tank valve (left on for the fridge) and carefully opened a couple of windows to air it out.

I discovered a bottle of wine had fallen out of the kitchen drain board, onto the front of the stove, and knocked one stove dial slightly open enough that the gas was turned on to the burner. We must have taken a big bounce to have knocked the bottle out of the drain board. The front of the stove is tucked up against the sink front when the slide is in and the bottle was resting between them.

Needless to say, we will properly store the wine in the future. I don't know if the propane was concentrated enough to explode but I'm very happy to have discovered and mitigated the problem when I did. And yes, the wine survived the trip unscathed.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pull the knobs off, drop them in a zip lock bag and set in sink on travel day.

No more 'accidental' turning on of stove.

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd also heard of taking a paint stirring stick and notching it to fit behind the knobs, over their shafts, keeping the knobs from being pushed in.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is one good reason why you should have your gas tanks shut off while traveling.

Rich and Joyce
2010 HiLo 2310H
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU

crabbin cabin

on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rrupert wrote:

That is one good reason why you should have your gas tanks shut off while traveling.

Correct!! Your fridge will stay cold for any day travel. Ours did last summer across Nevada at 100-105 degrees and coach AC non-operable!! Never lost an ice cube!

Lots of fire fighting experts agree with us!!

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found a package of child proof plastic guards which go behind the knobs, in Lowe's for around $5.00. Since I don't use the stove anyway it was a good investment.

Learjet

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 07:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my stove is right by my door and easy to hit a knob going in and out. Bad desgin if you ask me, and I wish I had a master valve to turn the stove off when not in use. I'm not scared enough to turn the gas off while traveling, just my choice.

2013 Ford F250 XLT 2wd Crew Cab 6.2 and 3.73 rear
2006 KZ Frontier 2303P-F
Dual 6 volt GC batts
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha EF2600c Tri-Fuel Gen.
Champion Model 46595- 3000/3500

sold* 2001 Hurricane 30Q Chevy workhorse
sold* 2006 Nissan Titan CC with tow package

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LadyRVer wrote:

I found a package of child proof plastic guards which go behind the knobs, in Lowe's for around $5.00. Since I don't use the stove anyway it was a good investment.

Ohoo. Wait till the "I use evry part of my RV, that's why i bought it" , Guys get hold of you.

BTW. We don't use our indoor stove either. Nastys up the TT inside, and makes the bears want in.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

bka0721

Republic of Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 07:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed a ball valve shut off under the grill top. Anytime I am not using the burners, I lift the metal top and turn off the ball valve. A few years ago a firefighter friend brought one of those Sniffers in from his Department to show me how RV gas appliances have minor leaks. I didn't believe him until he showed me. I talked with a few other RV mechanics and they shared this minor leakage was common with RV appliances. I intalled the ball valve. There was a thread a year or so ago and I brought this up then. It just led to a series of comments of; "Why don't you just get the leaks fixed?" I just feel much better having the gas shut off and it is easy to turn it back on. A bumped knob is never a problem.

b

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's rare, as you have to push and turn at the same time. but I understand the "fear" of hitting a knob, and turning on the gas. But I would no more turn off the gas in the TT every night, as I would turn off the gas in the house every night. All my appliances in my stick house are nat gas. And in truth. It is safer than electricity. I know many, not all, but many, only use gas in their RVs. So they are leery of it. I guess I'm good with it, because I live with gas appliances every day. Electricity scares me more.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Near Miss Propane Freak Accident
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS