|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Near Miss Propane Freak Accident

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jjotmo

St Johns Mi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 10:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year either my wife or I bumped into our stove and turned on a burner on our stove in the middle of the night. We woke up at 4:30 in the morning and it was bad. Fortunately I left the fan running all night to drown out noise. I'm pretty sure that's what saved us that night. Also the 5er was a little nose high due to the site so in the rear where my children sleep there was no smell. Needless to say I evacuated the camper and shut off glass while opening all the windows. I still check the knobs every time I walk by. We were very fortunate that night and I will always remember that

2oldman

Nashville TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 10:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jjotmo wrote:

We woke up at 4:30 in the morning and it was bad.
Yah.. that's what alarms are for.

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 12:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Checking the stove knobs is one of the main things on my checklist before leaving my rig. Maybe adding a valve between the stove and the rest of the propane system might be a good idea, just for added peace of mind, provided the valve is in a location where it can't be bumped open, either by someone walking by, or another errant wine bottle.

Of course, one could use boxed wine... but lets just not go there.

Simplygib

Grants Pass, OR USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh darn. After reading the title to this thread I was expecting a racier subject, hopefully including a photo of "Miss Propane."

Gary and Zahra
RV Solar 101

rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your LP leak detector did not sound I think you need to check it to make sure it is operating properly.

Rich and Joyce
2010 HiLo 2310H
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU

Irover

Where ever the Good Lord Wills

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a couple friends who took their motor home on a weekend vacation; a dump truck ran a stop light hit the motor home right where the propane tank was mounted midway of the vehicle. The fire-rescue team said they may have survived if the gas valve at the tank was shut off. The line broke to the tank and the RV exploded. The dump truck driver survived because he was able to exit his vehicle.
That paint stick that was made to prevent the gas stove knobs form being pushed in is also a great idea.
I always shut the propane off when traveling that way I don't forget when fueling up. Arriving safely to my destination is my top priority! JMHO

RoadXYZ

OR-WA-ID-CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bka0721 wrote:

I installed a ball valve shut off under the grill top. Anytime I am not using the burners, I lift the metal top and turn off the ball valve. --snipped -- I just feel much better having the gas shut off and it is easy to turn it back on. A bumped knob is never a problem.b

We had an "incident" where DH smelled the gas and we discovered one knob had accidentally been turned on ... so would be interested in this as we only use our stove when there is no electricity available (we have a stove top convection oven) .. as we normally use a grill, electric fry skillet, or crock pot for cooking.

Not sure how this is installed, so would like a picture or more information on this .. BTW have turned off private messages, so would have to be posted to this thread.

Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma, Grandpa, & Petunia, 9 yr old Chi
2008 Suburban / Alpenlite Travel Trailer

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jjotmo wrote:

Last year either my wife or I bumped into our stove and turned on a burner on our stove in the middle of the night. We woke up at 4:30 in the morning and it was bad. Fortunately I left the fan running all night to drown out noise. I'm pretty sure that's what saved us that night. Also the 5er was a little nose high due to the site so in the rear where my children sleep there was no smell. Needless to say I evacuated the camper and shut off glass while opening all the windows. I still check the knobs every time I walk by. We were very fortunate that night and I will always remember that

the gas should have in fact been worse in the rear, it should have found the lowest point in the trailer, as Propane is heavier than air and generally hugs the floor. That is the main reason propane dectors are mounted so low.

Natural gas on the other hand, is lighter than air, and rises. Neither have a smell. the odor is put in by the gas companies as a safety precaution. So you can smell a leak. You were indeed blessed.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

Canadian Rainbirds

Vancouver Island (Winter: Mainland Mexico)

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 09:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rrupert wrote:

That is one good reason why you should have your gas tanks shut off while traveling.

X2

At an FMCA rally a few years ago we attended a Fire Safety seminar presented by Mack The Fire Guy.

At one point he asked how many of us traveled with the propane valve on. A good number of hands went up. He then asked if there were any firefighters present. A few hands went up. None of the same hands.

He then told us that he had not yet met a professional Fire Fighter who traveled with the propane valve open.

At one lunch stop I went out to turn the propane valve on to run the fridge while we were stopped and was met by blast of propane past my face. The Extend a stay fitting had fractured. We could well have been traveling up the highway spewing propane gas.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Canadian Rainbirds wrote:

rrupert wrote:

That is one good reason why you should have your gas tanks shut off while traveling.

X2

At an FMCA rally a few years ago we attended a Fire Safety seminar presented by Mack The Fire Guy.

At one point he asked how many of us traveled with the propane valve on. A good number of hands went up. He then asked if there were any firefighters present. A few hands went up. None of the same hands.

He then told us that he had not yet met a professional Fire Fighter who traveled with the propane valve open.

At one lunch stop I went out to turn the propane valve on to run the fridge while we were stopped and was met by blast of propane past my face. The Extend a stay fitting had fractured. We could well have been traveling up the highway spewing propane gas.

And you could be driving up the highway spewing gasoline, diesel, natural gas, or what ever makes you vehicle go. . No system is fool proof. If you live your life worrying about things that "could" go wrong on the road. You would stay home.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Near Miss Propane Freak Accident
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS