RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A on Blue Ridge Parkway or Skyline Drive?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Class A on Blue Ridge Parkway or Skyline Drive?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
JQgolf

Sacramento area, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heading from Calif to East Coast this spring and would like to see as much of these great scenic drives as we can without being stupid or having to turn around and backtrack? Is much of the Parkway drivable with a 38" motorhome and a toad? Width of road, tunnels? If not where are some areas near by where we could camp and drive the car for a ways and see some of it? We will do the Great Smokies Mtn NP before heading out of our camp down there, but don't know that much about which towns or sections are must see.

phillyg

Front Royal, VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not aware of any place on either route where your RV length with toad would be limited. There are a couple of tunnels where you might be height restricted so I suggest you go to the websites for both routes to determine your max height limit. I wouldn't want to lead you wrong on that one and owe you an AC unit.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

Oaklevel

MidAlantic

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

See a little of everything on Parkway width & length should not be a problem. I would double check their website on height of tunnels. But I doubt you would have any problem on the full length of the Parkway.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 07:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live near the junction of the BRP and Skyline Drive at Afton Mountain. I've driven both between Winchester, VA and Roanoke, VA, and other than tunnels, you shouldn't have any problems. Do be aware that "commercial vehicles" are not permitted anywhere on either, but as long as there's no advertising on the outside of your rig, you are Golden.

The campgrounds along there generally have no hookups. Sherando Lake being an exception that is very popular and hard to get into, but worth it if you can manage. There are some sites there that can only be reserved, and some that are first come only. That is near the Shakespeare Theater in Staunton, VA, and if you like theater, you'll want to catch a performance there. There are also a lot of small wineries within a half-hour or so of the parkway/drive throughout Virginia. They are well worth visiting for some very tasty adult beverages.

You might also want to visit Polyface Farm, also near Staunton. Joel Salatin took a ruined family farm and is using it to pioneer some sustainable organic farming techniques.

* This post was edited 01/23/13 08:02pm by naturist *

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JQgolf wrote:

Heading from Calif to East Coast this spring and would like to see as much of these great scenic drives as we can without being stupid or having to turn around and backtrack? Is much of the Parkway drivable with a 38" motorhome and a toad? Width of road, tunnels? If not where are some areas near by where we could camp and drive the car for a ways and see some of it? We will do the Great Smokies Mtn NP before heading out of our camp down there, but don't know that much about which towns or sections are must see.

there is a camping organization that takes a Class A the whole length of the Parkway every year, To show it can be done. In truth. the BRP is the best road thru the Blue Ridge Mountains.

If you plan on doing the PKY, Give your self plenty of time, and realize VERY LITTLE of it in in the Smoky Mountains. It in fact ends in Cherokee, and the other end is in the Shenandoah National Park VA. It goes into Tennessee, not at all.

Once you are on the Blue ridge Parkway, be careful where you get off, as I say. It's the best road, and the roads leading to, and from it, are usually pretty steep, and twisty. You will have to fuel OFF the PKY, as there are only a couple places to fuel on it. there are some great CG on the PKY, but they do not have hookups.

Again give plenty of travel time. To see the PKY, and really enjoy it. A week is the minimum you will need. It is 469 mile long.

One of the must sees. Is Blowing Rock, and Boone. Some nice private CGs around that area. Linville Falls is great as well. GrandFather Mountain is considered a must see, and Mount Mitchell. Little Switzerland is a great place to stop, and look around as well. Lots of folks like Linville Caverns.

Come enjoy NC.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

footslogger

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We love the BRP. It is a true jewel. You should have no problem in a 38' rig. Be aware that there are some pullouts that are dead ends and not suitable for a big rig w/towed, but most you can pull straight through. Look ahead. Also there are a few low tunnels, all within about 10 miles from the southern terminus. There is a chart on the BRP website that lists all the tunnels, their height at center and their height at the shoulder (most are arched). These low tunnels can be negotiated if you are willing to drive down the center of the road, but that's a little hairy. Otherwise they can be bypassed using US 19.

The speed limit on the parkway is nominally 45 mph, with 35 mph through some areas. Take your time and enjoy the views. You might want to avoid weekends during peek leaf season if possible.

The park service campgrounds on the parkway are very nice, but be aware that they have no hook ups. Only one (Mt Pisgah) has hot showers, as far as I know. Sites that will accommodate a 38' rig are scarce, but there are at least a few large sites in most of the ones in NC. Travel on weekdays and camp early. There are hiking trails/attractions at most of the govt GCs so there will be plenty there to occupy your time.

* This post was edited 01/23/13 08:04pm by footslogger *

footslogger

2004 Country Coach Allure 33' Cummins 370HP ISL
400 Watt Solar Array. M&G Braking System
2003 Honda Element (and as many canoes as I can carry!)

epusher

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had minimal issues with a truck and trailer on both this past September. First, the NP campsites are small - plan ahead as the sites for big rigs are few. Second, plan your exits/entrances as some of the side roads just don't work for large vehicles. Three, be prepared to go very, very slow and have patience as there are people on bicycles. Four, some of the overlooks don't work for large vehicles and sometimes the overlooks have just enough people that you won't fit. We did the Skyline Drive to BRP and down to Cherokee. Enjoy as it is an outstanding trip. Just driving it was fun. How many roads can you say that about?

2010 Sabre 30BHDS: 10 gal elct/gas dsi, 15k a/c, 1.5 bath, high fidelity package
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4, 1 dog, 1 wife, 2 kids, 2 cats

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As someone said above, the access roads are your main concern. Some are prohibitively steep, narrow and winding. We took one near Asheville in our Toyota toad and burnt out the clutch.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX
Chevy 3500HD, V8

NanciL

Bakersville, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 04:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best part of the entire Blue Ridge Parkway, (which is my playground) is between Boone and Ashville. If it was me, I would camp at Tom Johnson's Camping center in Marion and then use my toad to explore that section. I would hate to think of you driving up to the top of Mt Mitchell in your RV.
Whatever you do please use caution since the road is narrow, and there are a lot of road bikers like myself peddling along it.

Jack L

Jack & Nanci

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lanes are pretty narrow (it's an old road), and most shoulders are soft. Your passengers will see the scenery, but all you'll probably see is the road. I'd suggest camping off the BRP and touring in your toad.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Class A on Blue Ridge Parkway or Skyline Drive?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS