RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A on Blue Ridge Parkway or Skyline Drive?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Class A on Blue Ridge Parkway or Skyline Drive?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 07:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JQgolf wrote:

...Is much of the Parkway drivable with a 38" motorhome and a toad? Width of road, tunnels...

Which dimension is 38 inches?

You can drive it but may need to be careful in a few tunnels. Unless you are accustomed to narrow curving roads you may not enjoy the drive. For the safety of all road users be careful to stay in your lane on curves.

Like others warned, the BRP is on the crest of the mountains most of the time. Most access roads are narrow and twisting. Make your ingress and egress on the main state route highways.

It is one of the best drives in America.

A poor man seeks riches, a rich man seeks power, but a wise man seeks contentment.

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

Tom N

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 08:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drove the complete Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway in my 39' class A. Absolutely NO problem with tunnel heights, road widths or grades!

-Tom

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"The speed limit on the parkway is nominally 45 mph, with 35 mph through some areas. Take your time and enjoy the views. You might want to avoid weekends during peek leaf season if possible."

Lots luck with the speed limit. We drove it the first time in the spring of 2010. The scenery is too good to drive by that fast and it is way too much work the hold the narrow lane at those speeds.

Enjoy the Views....

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a motorcyclist and formerly a sports car driver, please pull over if traffic builds behind you. Everyone is entitled to travel at their own pace but not to force others to comply with lower speeds. I'm sure no RV.net posters would be so discourteous!

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 11:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sky Line Dr has only one tunnel, Mary's Rock Tunnel, just south of Thorntons Gap, with a height of 12'-8" contrary to what some think, I've never seen a MH (of any size) have trouble navigating it, true, I wouldn't want to tour it in my MH, thats why I would camp on the Skyline at Big Meadow or Loft Mountain & tour in the toad. The speed limit is 35 mph for the entire 105 mi., & if someone spots a deer or bear next to the road, that can actually become 0 mph.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2005 KIA Spectra
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn breings a good point. Be forever on watch for the wildlife. Deer Bear, whatever. It's there, and it could be in front of you ina second. I once had a fawn race me to get in front of the truck. I did let him win.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

racedaymechanic

Race City USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 07:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are about 45 minutes from the BRP and go on it alot several times a year spending multiple days, You wont have any problem with your motorhome, Just make sure your brakes are good in the last 50 miles in NC there are some pretty good grades and they go for many miles at a time

2009 Sabre Palomino "Sissy"
1998 Chevrolet K3500 6.5 Diesel "Brutus"
ptwiringsolutions.com

TexasH

Katy, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did the Parkway and Skyline Drive three years ago from North to South, in our 37' coach. No problems at all with grades or tunnels. On the tunnels listed in the chart that give low clearances, be aware that all the tunnels are arch shaped, and the clearances listed are at the edges. There's plenty of clearance near the center, even on the "low" tunnels. Most are short and you can easily see oncoming traffic.

The southern part of the Parkway is beautiful, but the roads are somewhat curvy with lots of up and down grades. Not a real problem, but be sure to allow extra time because you'll be driving slower than normal. Just slow down and enjoy the views.

These two roadways (actually just one long roadway) are among the most scenic in our country. Don't let your caution cause you to miss a great trip.

2002 Southwind 37U Ford F53 - V10
2007 Jeep Liberty Toad

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just north of Asheville, heading north, we had issues with tree branches that were scraping the top of the MH. I decided to turn around use an alternative route at that point . That was 2 yrs ago, perhaps they have trimmed them back by now.

JQgolf

Sacramento area, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, great info. Didn't expect access roads into park to be an issue. Thought we might be able to camp outside park and drive toad into park for 50 miles or so and do this several times along the length.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Class A on Blue Ridge Parkway or Skyline Drive?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS