RV.Net Open Roads Forum: My trip to see the new Ram 3500HD DRW at Detroit Auto Show

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> My trip to see the new Ram 3500HD DRW at Detroit Auto Show

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
ricatic

Home

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and I went to the Detroit Auto Show this afternoon. Looked at the new Ford's and GM's...for 5 minutes each ...After talking to the GMC Truck rep, I was disappointed to hear that there is no big changes coming for the 2014 GM twin Crew Cab's...new interiors and accoutrements but no larger cab as far as he knows...BOO...

We spent an hour at the Ram 3500HD DRW display. What a gorgeous truck...The Ram rep was annoying...and wrong about a couple of things. I pressed for goose neck hitch information because the actual socket was buried under that stupid box sitting in the bed. He adamantly claimed that the new setup was compatible with the B&W Turnover Ball Hitch/Companion Hitch...however, he could not tell me the shape of the socket. I used the new factory step to climb up in the box...works ok and takes up less space than Ford's man step/mini-stripper pole. The Ford step is easier to use though...I could not move the box enough,30,000 pounds is heavy, to uncover the socket. So, your intrepid reporter went the extra mile...He slid under the truck and took a picture. Round hole with no release pin...This will not work with the Turnover Ball setup in it's stock configuration. I guess mine will not be getting the Ram factory hitch...

I was pleasantly surprised to see a real DEF Gauge in the dash. Somebody has been listening over at Ram. Not so pleased with the DEF fill location. Although it is very similar to the Ford, there is no fuel cap. I worry about inadvertent spillage of DEF ending up in the fuel tank...not too smart. Maybe they will put a cap on the production version...

As a current man step/mini stripper pole Ford owner, I tested the new rear step. The step works OK, takes up no room on the tailgate but the Ford setup is a bit easier to climb up and down...JMO...not a deal breaker...

Here are some pic's:

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af128/ricatic/2013%20Auto%20Show/2013autohow034.jpg

Nice truck for sure. The interior was a Long Horn. Plenty of room and comfortable. Easily as nice as any Ford...Maybe even nicer... Much nicer than the 2500 Denali.

Hope you enjoy the pictures...now I need to dig up some work so I can order one of these bad boy's

Regards

* This post was edited 01/23/13 06:43pm by ricatic *

Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmm. Also looks like any spills (diesel or DEF) will just run down the side. Might be a good idea to have some of that 3M invisi-shield put below the fuel door.

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon, V10 - 385,000 miles
2014 CreekSide 31KQBS (QuadSlide bunkhouse)

ricatic

Home

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One more comment...I am quite familiar with the Bosch CP4.xx series injection pumps. I am not familiar with the CP3 Series. I looked quite closely at the cutaway HPFP pump on the display engine Ram has next to the truck...It in no way resembles a Bosch CP4.xx HPFP...and the pump housing appears to be cast ferrous of some type...not aluminum like the CP4.xx series...JMO...maybe someone else has a picture of a CP3 they could post...

Regards

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like they moved the rear wheels farther back. Did you notice that or is it the angle of your photo?

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

ricatic

Home

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 06:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

Hmm. Also looks like any spills (diesel or DEF) will just run down the side. Might be a good idea to have some of that 3M invisi-shield put below the fuel door.

Not really necessary. My experience with my Ford and it's very similar setup shows that DEF spillage onto the paint, watered down immediately after completing the DEF fill, causes no damage...BTDT...I just use the wind\shield washing squeegee tool at the pump to wash it off...no damage to my Ford yet...

Regards

ricatic

Home

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Looks like they moved the rear wheels farther back. Did you notice that or is it the angle of your photo?

...likely the photo...I would not know enough about thae wheel location to determine a change...

Regards

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

I've spilled def down the side of my truck at least a couple of times. In both cases I just left it (it turns into a white scaly kind of film) and it washed off just fine the next time I spayed the truck off.

Do the mirrors on that new Ram power fold? Could you tell whether they are using the same pump as Ford and GM?

2011 F350 SRW short box 4x4 CC 6.7 PS King Ranch
B&W TurnoverBall and Companion
2003 Citation Supreme 34 RLTS

ricatic

Home

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I could not get an answer on power folding mirrors but the dealer I talked with put a truck order together for me and it showed power folding mirrors...

The HPFP pump on the Cummins display engine looks nothing like the CP4.2 series pump on my Ford...

Regards

Home Skillet

Pearland Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ricatic wrote:

.I just use the wind\shield washing squeegee tool at the pump to wash it off.

So you're "that guy". Unsuspecting person goes to clean his windshield, gets a load of DEF on it.

2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,SmarTire,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

catfishmontana

montana

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not picking here, but are those still the same General brand tires? My 2010 dually had them, just curious. Wasn't real impressed with those.

Mine ~ 2012 Ram 3500 Dually, CrewCab, Longhorn, Cummins
Hers ~ 2012 Ford F150 Raptor, Blue Flame, Crew Cab, 6.2L
GONE!!! 2010 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 5.3 ~ Most worthless POS ever!
2007 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 30FKD TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> My trip to see the new Ram 3500HD DRW at Detroit Auto Show
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS