RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Opinion on Salem from Forest River please

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Opinion on Salem from Forest River please

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mikedboyd

Kansas City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 10:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are considering buying a 2013 Salem 32BHDS trailer. I am a little torn, because of the weight of the trailer (almost 8,000 lbs empty). The build quality seems to be fine (not the best, but fine) and the price is very good (low 20's with the dealer discount) even with a decent amount of options.

I'm a bit of a nut for having lots of storage from the outside of a trailer. Our current trailer has lots and most new ones do NOT. By doing a custom order and having them not build the outside kitchen, but just finish it as outside storage, my needs are met in that category. We're also planning to have the couch in the bunkhouse and make that our TV room, just putting a mirror in the TV cabinet in the main living area (to each their own).

Anyway, any experience out there with Salem trailers? Any opinions?

The weight is somewhat explained by the use of wood over aluminum in the framing and a nice walk-on roof.

thanks

Mike & Tracy Boyd
2013 LaCrosse 318BHS Travel Trailer - Forest River - Prime Time
2006 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crewcab SB DMax/Allison

Graduated from 1999 Dodge Ram Extended 2wd 5.9L &
1996 Jayco 1208KB Popup
then from a 2005 Prowler Lynx Ultralite 29BHS

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently purchased a 2013 Salem 27DBUD...just a bit shorter than what you are looking at. I too opted to NOT have an outside kitchen, as we have a camp stove and would rather have the storage. So far, no issues with storage. The U shape dinette had a nice drawer on one side, the other side nothing. Of course we could pull all the cushions to get to the storage, but what I did was cut a hole in the other side of the dinette (its just paneling), add a frame inside with 1x2, and added a kitchen cabinet door from Menards.

Something else we did was buy wire frame baskets from menards. They are stackable and fit well in a one "closet" near the kitchen, which we turned into a pantry. I used cheap c clamps for wiring and screwed each one in the wall (very small screws) for security. Works well and we have lipped basket shelves in a pantry.

Hope this helps...its our first Salem (and Forest River product) and so far we love it.

Do you have the electric level jacks and awning? We do...and its odd hitting a button vs manual crank (which is what we were used to).

2012 GMC Z71 Ext Cab w/ tow pkge & 87 Oct tune from Diablosport Intune
2013 Forest River Salem 27DBUD
MLEE is Mike, Lorie, Emily, Ella
Wife and I camped as kids....and now our kids will too!!!

C.B.

APPLETON WI USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what it's worth . My Son in law's sister just bought a Salem 36BHBS at The Green Bay Wisconsin RV & Camping show for $18,988.00
with the touch sreen remote.

C.B.

CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~
CB Family Fleet
Butch&Barb 13CedarCreek~Duane&Holli 05CedarCreek~Kris&Katy 06Cherokee~ Brian&Maia 11 Laredo

mikedboyd

Kansas City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Robert, when you ordered the outside kitchen to be just storage, did they assume they were giving you the fridge and bumper grill or did you have to ask for them specifically? Waiting to see the pricing and what they assume, any day now ..........

mikedboyd

Kansas City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we are ordering ours with a drawer under both benches and hopefully an outside door behind the back dinette bench. Ours will have all of the power jacks which will be nice, but more things to break at some point. It is supposed to also come with a remote control for the power stuff (they were real proud of that). One thing I'm gonna have to add is some outside lighting. They have the one on the front and the bug lights on the main side, but really, it needs more. I may add an electrical outlet outside as well, we'll see.

I don't suppose you have a picture of the pantry setup, do you, to post here?

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 11:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will have to take a few pics and post of the pantry.

Yes, ours has the touch screen remote...something we wanted nothing to do with (I kinda like old manual crank stuff!) but it just came with. I agree....it is something to break or "go wrong" in the future. At least mechanical type stuff I can figure out and fix.

Honestly, I've lost a few hours sleep worrying about the awning not working, the jacks not working, the slide not working. This was a big step up from our prevous "simple" TT...but God we love the floorplan and the kids do too!

rcboats1

Everett, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We love our 08 27BHSS, but pay close attention to the fit and finish when you do your inspection. It was 18 degrees out when we did ours and we hurried and missed some things that still bother us.

2008 Salem 27BHSS
2001 7.3L Excursion

mikedboyd

Kansas City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 02:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks Kelly

mikedboyd

Kansas City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Fred

Bucky Badger

Madison, WI

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have an 07 salem 27rble..we have had no issues with it so far. we too have very little outside storage, but learned to do without.

Fred & Jodie, dogs, Zoey, Mika and Emma

2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Opinion on Salem from Forest River please
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers