RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Picking up batteries. What do I look for before accepting?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Picking up batteries. What do I look for before accepting?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With $1100 worth of batteries, going to the store every so often for replacements is not an option plus I'm just a nerd and like this stuff.

2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got to the point in charging that the 2 amp setting for a few hours (with a very small draw) the voltage fell down to 13.55v, but the 8 amp setting creeps up to 14.65v at 3 amps (my max charge spec is 14.6v). The 2 amp setting on the smart charger is running at 14.08v -14.21v (runing up and back a few time a minutes, toing the smart charger sulfation reduction dance), so I will let it go for a few hours then take a resting voltage.

Jim

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 04:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Robsouth,

Ah, if it were only one battery--but you see it is NOT for me. So if I am not careful I end up ruining potentially 8 batteries. The better they match each other--the less likely I am to have a problem.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 2500 MSW watt inverter.

Supercharged

Az.

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNtundraRet wrote:

Sorry! Missed that.

I have not had the second cup of coffee yet. Rest of post would hold true.
I haven't had any coffee in 40 years, can I drink hot tea.

2005 Chev 5.3 Supercharged 395HP 425 T hp. Two wheels on front, 2 on back. one seat, tint windows. front and rear bumpers, headlights, windows. Door on each side. Heater, floor mats, 6 Reese candy bars, junk behind seats, some dirt. Pulls so hard.

full_mosey

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 05:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HiTech wrote:

They have really come down quite a bit.

Jim

I am in LRGV and the Sam's club in Mcallen, TX has 100AH grp 31 AGMs for $168. The label says Johnson Controls.

So Yes, there seems to be some movement towards lower AGM prices.

HTH;
John

MNtundraRet

Bloomington, MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Supercharged wrote:

MNtundraRet wrote:

Sorry! Missed that.

I have not had the second cup of coffee yet. Rest of post would hold true.
I haven't had any coffee in 40 years, can I drink hot tea.

Yes! Tea would work. About 25 years ago we had a procedure for assaying amount of Caffiene found in our products. Had been used for years, but one day one of the chemists wanted to see who was getting the most Caffeine each day from drinking: coffee, tea, or pop.

After testing the pop one out "hands down", tea came in second, and coffee third. With tea you will wake up faster and get the brain in gear faster than coffee. The pop users are good after the first can.

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

full_mosey

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

IF they are for a boat, Read above responses

IF they are for house batereis on an RV, you should look for DEEP CYCLE without the word MARINE in front of it. Marine/Deep cycle are starting batteries, not much different from what gets you to the store. DEEP CYCLE are what you want for house work. This applies to AGM as well as other types.

Nope!

AGMs are hybrids. The only AGM that I have found that specifies starting only is the Optima Red-Top.

If you look at wets on a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is DC and 10 is SLI, then AGM will be in a 3 to 8 range except as noted above.

Deka tends towards DC(3) and Sears Platinum-4 AGM tends toward SLI(8) when measured in AH or CCA per lb against wets.

I have not yet found an AGM spec that can approach a pure DC(1) wet spec like an L-16.

The only difference between DC and SLI with Marine/Automotive AGM, within mfgrs, appears to be with the terminals, and not the plates or case. E.g., the Sears has Marine/Auto versions of the P-4 and they have identical AH and CCA specs.

HTH;
John
P.S. I meant to say an L-16 would be in category 1, or the pure DC end of the scale.

* This post was last edited 01/26/13 10:29am by full_mosey *   View edit history

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great info John, thanks.

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

full_mosey wrote:

HiTech wrote:

They have really come down quite a bit.

Jim

I am in LRGV and the Sam's club in Mcallen, TX has 100AH grp 31 AGMs for $168. The label says Johnson Controls.

So Yes, there seems to be some movement towards lower AGM prices.

HTH;
John

The AGMs seemed like a good deal but the word is lead prices are headed up which could drive all batteries to be more expensive. I wanted to get mine before any price increases hit.

That PSW inverter seems like a bargain though!

Jim

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 09:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HiTech wrote:

That PSW inverter seems like a bargain though!

Jim
It does! I think I linked to a test someone did on that inverter in my thread. There seems to be a fair amount off-grid homes that use that one.

EDIT: http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/showthre........php?16575-Xantrex-Prowatt-SW2000-testing

* This post was edited 01/25/13 10:01pm by mena661 *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Picking up batteries. What do I look for before accepting?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS