RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Picking up batteries. What do I look for before accepting?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Picking up batteries. What do I look for before accepting?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
Sponsored By:
HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 10:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HiTech wrote:

I got to the point in charging that the 2 amp setting for a few hours (with a very small draw) the voltage fell down to 13.55v, but the 8 amp setting creeps up to 14.65v at 3 amps (my max charge spec is 14.6v). The 2 amp setting on the smart charger is running at 14.08v -14.21v (runing up and back a few time a minutes, toing the smart charger sulfation reduction dance), so I will let it go for a few hours then take a resting voltage.

Jim

Resting voltage after an hour or two is 13.03v, more in line with what I was hoping to see before testing. Quick 100A draws (maybe a second) right after I stopped charging saw voltage spring back up over 13v as well. So I charged back up a touch and called it good. I will let the AGMs rest over night and see where they settle out to in the morning. I never knew there was so much involved in really getting new batteries all the way charged up!

Jim

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 10:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HiTech wrote:

Resting voltage after an hour or two is 13.03v, more in line with what I was hoping to see before testing. Quick 100A draws (maybe a second) right after I stopped charging saw voltage spring back up over 13v as well. So I charged back up a touch and called it good. I will let the AGMs rest over night and see where they settle out to in the morning. I never knew there was so much involved in really getting new batteries all the way charged up!

Jim
Took me a while too. Only one was fully charged, the rest were like 95%. Did a number of equalizes.

2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 06:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Resting voltage this morning is 12.92v.

I I have 2 250 w infrared heating bulbs. I am thinking about later using them with a dimmer switch as a load since I could adjust the watts drawn pretty easily with that to try for constant current discharge curves. I do have the theoretical discharge curves for their whole line of AGM batteries to compare to.

For now it is probably just the inverter and various sized light bulbs in a single shop light.

Jim

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Jim,

I find that constant watts output from my inverter means that as voltage drops on the battery bank, amps rise because the inverter automatically tries to keep out put voltage constant. Eventually, under large loads the output voltage does begin to sag.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 2500 MSW watt inverter.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn't work using 12v lamps either. The voltage goes down and the bulbs dim, making amps drop (instead of getting inverter creep upwards with 120v lamps) With the 12v lamps you have to keep turning on more lamps to maintain a constant amps load as voltage goes down.

2003 Chev 2500HD Gas, 2003 Komfort 26FS 5er
See Profile for Equipment List

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Picking up batteries. What do I look for before accepting?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS