|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> must have been a china bomb

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CKNSLS

Northern Utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yet, another thread where someone has an issue or accident and everybody pontificates as to what happen....

geez...............................

majorloser

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tanman32225 wrote:

i agree on the roadside assistance. but in reality how many carry a jack and lug wrench big enough to crack the bolts on the wheel. I dont, I carry 1-800-help

I carry a Dewalt 18 volt 1/2" impact wrench with sockets just for that reason. Along with a bottle jack and the cribbing for leveling the 5vr, should be enough.

Granted, with my luck I'll have both tires on the same side blow.

2010 Ram 2500 Megacab Laramie w/Cummins
Firestone R4Tech rear suspension
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K w/ Bedsaver
2012 KZ Durango 1500 D295CS

Cougarnewbie

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have read several times here that at low speed it is safe to run on one tire to the next exit. Safety first

May All Your On Ramps be Downhill

2oldman

Vegas baby

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 12:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hard to say what happened. Just glad it wasn't me.

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tanman32225 wrote:

i agree on the roadside assistance. but in reality how many carry a jack and lug wrench big enough to crack the bolts on the wheel. I dont, I carry 1-800-help

I carry a bottle jack, torque wrench and small compressor. And I have used the whole kit.
No prepaid roadside assistance but do carry cash. If I had a big MH or was full time I would probably have a contract.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

thomasmnile

Deltona, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smkettner wrote:

Need a wide area for me to pull off and change a left side tire.
I would sooner wreck both wheels and drag it on the frame before I risked my life to change a flat.

Ain't that the truth! Not even safe for cops to pull someone over anymore...............

LostinAZ

At Home

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 05:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a China Bomb blow halfway between Indio and Blythe, CA on I10. Do not know when it blew but noticed sparks out the rear at around 9:00PM at night. Left rear. Never felt or heard anything. First thought was to call our Emergency Road Service but realized we could get the bad one off and the spare on before any ERS could or would get to us. I had pulled off the right lane by about 10'. Was about 70 degrees. Had the big breaker bar with me and a torque wrench. We changed it without an incident. Seemed like hundrds of cars and trucks went by and apparently not a single CA Highway Patrol Car. I even put out the reflective warning triangle back about a 100 yards or so. Didn't seem to get any of the truck drivers attention as they roared by in the right lane under full power doing their 65-70 mph. A lot of wind buffeting but we got everything wrapped up. Had to add more air to the spare tire from my 10 gallon air tank I carry. Was able to get to Phoenix that night and morning before the heat set in again. Was really concerned about the remaining good tire on the left side. Didn't really know how long we had run with only one tire on the left side. Did no damage to the rim that the tire had blown on. We were also surprised that no one had motioned to us that we had blown a tire. Vely Weird.

Greentreena

British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 05:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe the spare was flat or the destination was at the next exit

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Mega Cab 4x4 SRW Laramie - Big & Black
Full delete, Torque Technolgies programmer, Sinister EGR delete
Hijacker Auto Slide/ P3
2006 Triple E Topaz 310RBXL
Wife, 2 kids and Murphy the dog

Supercharged

Az.

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tanman32225 wrote:

I watched a Greyhound driver do it on the Alcan, but that was 1962.

2005 Chev 5.3 Supercharged 395HP 425 T hp. Two wheels on front, 2 on back. one seat, tint windows. front and rear bumpers, headlights, windows. Door on each side. Heater, floor mats, 6 Reese candy bars, junk behind seats, some dirt. Pulls so hard.

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A question for those that say they don't carry a wrench big enough to remove the lug nuts, Then how in the world do you ever check the torque on the lug nuts?????? Now, I'm not anal about it so I don't check at every stop or even every morning if traveling, but I do check them on occasion to verify everything is still tight. Plus you might want to think about a bottle jack, we blew a wheel bearing and there was no Road Service to be had. So we had to remove the wheel to prevent further damage to the spindle and limp down the shoulder at approx 15 to 20 MPH on three wheels until we could get to a Truck Stop and get help. Just something to think about.

2011 Chevy 3500HD Ext Cab DRW, Duramax/Allison, 2012 Redwood 36RL, Dual ACs, Fireplace, Sleep # Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Combo Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, Mor/ryde IS, Tri-Glide Pin Box, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> must have been a china bomb
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS