RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Silver Springs Park closing. State to take over.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Silver Springs Park closing. State to take over.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone suggesting the spring flow is not signifcant still needs to do a little reading. It is true it is only about half of the highest recorded periods from the 60's and 70's but it is still pumping a lot of water and still a viable ecosystem, it just needs to have the strain of additional removal alleviated and the quality addressed through good govt policy (oxymoron). In 2010 it was measured at near 500 Cubic Feet a Second (CFS) by the state. Each cubic foot of water is equal to 7.48 gallons of water. Do the math, 3740 gallons a second! 224,400 a gallons a minute, 322,000,000 gallons a day.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NanciL wrote:

beemerphile1 wrote:

Where did information come from? Well, here are a few sources...

I can only respond with when was the last time you paddled it from Ray Wayside up to the head springs.

Naturally it has changed in the past 25 or 50 years, but there is absolutely no sign of algae, or the degradeation that your article claim
Please go paddle the river like I have several times a year for the past fifteen years and then come back and report what you see.

jack L

Don't shoot the messenger! In my earlier post I asked if the things I read were true and you said they aren't. You asked where the info came from.

I will probably take a look for myself in March of this year. Like I said earlier, I haven't been there for about 15 years.

A poor man seeks riches, a rich man seeks power, but a wise man seeks contentment.

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

NanciL

Bakersville, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

NanciL wrote:

beemerphile1 wrote:

Where did information come from? Well, here are a few sources...

I can only respond with when was the last time you paddled it from Ray Wayside up to the head springs.

Naturally it has changed in the past 25 or 50 years, but there is absolutely no sign of algae, or the degradeation that your article claim
Please go paddle the river like I have several times a year for the past fifteen years and then come back and report what you see.

jack L

Don't shoot the messenger! In my earlier post I asked if the things I read were true and you said they aren't. You asked where the info came from.

I will probably take a look for myself in March of this year. Like I said earlier, I haven't been there for about 15 years.

In that case please accept my apology.
It always irks me when I see something in print that is completely the reverse of what is reality.
When you paddle it in March please report back.
The only difference that I have seen over the past bunch of years is they have upped the cost of the parking permit at Ray Wayside.

Here is a copy of the trip for anyone interested

KAYAK/CANOE TRIP
SILVER RIVER TO SILVER SPRINGS
(Mid Florida)

Trip Length: 10.7 miles

Short Description: Leave from a wayside park.
-Paddle upstream to the springs at their headwaters and return

Best weather conditions: Any time since it is out of the wind, but a sunny day gives the best under water viewing

Directions: Take route 40 out of Ocala to Silver Springs.
-Continue on 40 about six miles past the Silver Springs tourist
attraction.
-Bear right just before the hill to the bridge that crosses the
Oklawaha River.
-Follow the road for a few hundred yards to the put-in at Ray
Wayside park.
-There is a five dollar per vehicle cost to park.
-The canoe/kayak launch is straight ahead on the left at the end
of the parking lot.

Comments: Best to do it on a weekday, since there will be a lot of weekend paddlers and power boaters
-For the entire length of the river it is a "no wake zone" for
the power boaters
-Both sides of the river are pristine forest and swampland
-The major spring is a tourist attraction, so when you get there
be prepared to come out of "God's Land" into a miniature
Disney World and be ready to dodge the electric glass bottom
boats.
-Most of the river is about forty feet wide
-Be on the lookout for wild monkeys that live along the sides of
the river.
-Also be on the lookout for alligators, big gar fish, bass,
Bowfin (Mudfish) and many other species
of fish.
-The fresh water clarity is about as good as it gets,(excellent)
-Most of the river is about forty feet wide

Trip: After launching, turn right down a canal for two hundred yards and at the end turn right onto the Silver River.
-Paddle upstream for a little over five miles to the springs.
-There are a series of beautiful deep blue springs with the
largest being on the right side at the end of the river.
-It is in a hundred foot diameter pool and you can see clearly
to the bottom, which is forty feet below the surface.
-Return the way you came.

If you want some more good spring runs or other trips, check out our Google site at http://sites.google.com/site/flkeyskayaktrips/

Jack L

Jack & Nanci

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 10:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NanciL wrote:

jack L

And I can only respond that maybe you don't know what algae looks like.

The water plants and bottom is and has been covered in algae that doesn't belong there. I am providing a link to an article in the Jacksonville paper. In the article is a link to some pictures. Look at the picture of the bream by the canoe launch which you access from the campground. The bottom is covered in algae.

I used to snorkel the entire run as a teen in the early 70's and the bottom was pure white sand, no muck, no algae of any type. Now the plants and bottom are disgusting.

clicky link

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/13 06:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I visited Silver Springs park last week and was disappointed. It has gotten bad. There is a lot of algae and visibility is poor. The bottom can only be seen directly over the main springs.

Some sections of the park are closed for remodeling. I would doubt they ever are remodeled/reopened. We were told that some animals have already been removed.

The general condition of the park is poor and lacks maintenance. The shrubbery is trimmed for the most part but we didn't see a single flower. The flower beds are overgrown with weeds.

There seems to be little or no dress code for employees. They appear to wear whatever they want and one fellow was walking around all day with a big hole in the seat of his pants. The staff was doing a good job of keeping trash picked up. In general we found the staff members to be friendly and helpful. They all were very candid about the park closing and on occasion even broached the subject themselves.

There were no maps of the park available. Most parks hand you a map when you buy your tickets. We asked and were unable to get one. We were told they no longer have maps.

We did love seeing the Kodiak bears. Not too many places have Kodiaks. All the animals appear to be well cared for and the animal handlers were professional and friendly.

We don't regret going but it has declined. We look forward to seeing it again in a few years after it has been restored to a natural state. We can chalk this up as another casualty of the mouse that ate old Florida. Of course we can not leave out the fact that the state and fed are responsible for the water quality.

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/13 07:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

We can chalk this up as another casualty of the mouse that ate old Florida. Of course we can not leave out the fact that the state and fed are responsible for the water quality.

I agree. I'm sorry to hear it's in such bad shape. It will take years to restore water quality and the natural balance.

I'm glad the animals seem to be well cared for. Let's hope that continues.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Keep on rollin'!
Magnus

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Silver Springs Park closing. State to take over.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS