|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Air Force One

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
breng

AR

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are thinking about having the Air Force one installed on our motor home and tow. Just wondering if any of you have this and how you like it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2oldman

Wilson Creek WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 12:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mostly AF posts

Kaz

Atlanta, GA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 06:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

breng wrote:

We are thinking about having the Air Force one installed on our motor home and tow. Just wondering if any of you have this and how you like it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Just had one installed and it seems to work fine, although I can't say more based on personal experience until, well, I've had some. We did quite a bit of research before buying this unit and it seems to get 100% positive evaluations. Hence the choice.

Skip

Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

tkcas01

Roaming Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 02:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed mine myself and very happy with it. One improvement I recently completed was to run a wire from the harness to the cockpit to provide an indicator light of when the toad brakes are activated. I found the LED indicator they have you mount on the tow bar is just too hard to see in the rear view camera during daylight hours.

Roaming Full Timer
2004 Monaco Diplomat DST
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

Boonedocks

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love mine. Had it installed at their headquarters near Evansville, Indiana. Would never go back to a brake buddy.

2003 Country Coach Intrigue towing 2006 Ford Focus. Follow our full timing adventures at The BooneDocks

waroland

Mt. Juliet, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Installed mine last month and it works great. The LED light provided mounts with Velcro to dash and very visible in rear view camera.

2002 Fleetwood Revolution
2006 Honda CR-V toad

Mr.Mark

California/Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just had the SMI Air Force One installed on my new Honda CR-V. I had the M & G system on the old Honda but that system would be so much more difficult to install on the new 2013 as the master cylinder is much lower and more difficult to access (but could be done).

The Air Force One works about the same as the M & G. The only obvious difference to a lay person is that the Air Force One has a cylinder that is attached to the brake pedal arm. It's attached pretty high so it can't be seen at all.

So, to answer your question, it works great. My installer was going to have my front left turn signal light up when I pressed on the brakes so I would know that the Air Force was working. Since I put a full mask on the front of the toad, I told him that it would not be necessary. So, in essence, I don't know if the brakes are activating. I probably should get something put inside the coach to let me know.

MM.

Mr.Mark
2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42.2 ft., 4 slides, 425 hp clean-air Cummins diesel
2013 Honda CR-V EXL, AWD, w/Nav, SMI Air Force One vacuum-assisted braking

Mr.Mark

California/Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 01:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

waroland wrote:

Mine came with a LED strip that works off the brake light switch and is mounted on the dash when in use allowing me to see when brakes are activated.

Mr.Mark wrote:

I just had the SMI Air Force One installed on my new Honda CR-V. I had the M & G system on the old Honda but that system would be so much more difficult to install on the new 2013 as the master cylinder is much lower and more difficult to access (but could be done).

The Air Force One works about the same as the M & G. The only obvious difference to a lay person is that the Air Force One has a cylinder that is attached to the brake pedal arm. It's attached pretty high so it can't be seen at all.

So, to answer your question, it works great. My installer was going to have my front left turn signal light up when I pressed on the brakes so I would know that the Air Force was working. Since I put a full mask on the front of the toad, I told him that it would not be necessary. So, in essence, I don't know if the brakes are activating. I probably should get something put inside the coach to let me know.

MM.

I've been to Mt. Juliet on the lake..... my sister lived there in the mid 70's across from Johnny Cash. I should probably get a light strip like you have.

MM.

TZScales

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been using the SMI Air Force One since April 2009 and had it installed on our very first coach and toad. Since that time, we have had two more coaches and the SMI Air Force One system on the toads as well.

Since this is my first and only supplemental braking system, I can attest to its effectiveness and ease of operation. By the way, we had the system moved from coach to coach and I installed the brake controller system myself on the lastest toad.

I like the fact that the system has its own proprietary air tank which receives its air supply from the coach's air tanks; therefore, there is no usage of the coach's air system when stopping the toad. Its truly proportional braking.

* This post was edited 01/25/13 08:02pm by TZScales *

TZS and Wife
2007 Monaco Executive Sandia IV
Cummins ISX 525 Horsepower
Allison 4000 Six Speed Transmission
Roadmaster S-Series Chassis
2006 Saturn Vue
SMI Air Force One

waroland

Mt. Juliet, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine came with a LED strip that works off the brake light switch and is mounted on the dash when in use allowing me to see when brakes are activated.

Mr.Mark wrote:

MM.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Air Force One
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS