|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Ford V10 howling sound

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jerseyjim

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 03:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only "howling" from my F-53 V-10 is when the thermostaticly-controlled fan comes on. Normal.

BillMFl

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ha ha, well it seems like there are a variety of "howls" out there. Mine is directly due to engine rpm. Like I said, its very quiet at high speed if I take my foot off the gas pedal. Not wind noise or it would still be heard even if rpms dropped when the coach was still rolling at high speed. Same should apply for rear end noise since the drive shaft and pinion gears should still be spinning. Going to Ford Truck dealer on Monday. I suspect that with both exhaust header pipes feeding a somewhat small cat converter the exhaust flow at high rpms is blowing thru the restriction just like a brass band instrument. But then I'm just a stupid old retired senior citizen and expect Ford to tell me its all in my head. The entry steps are directly above the cat and there isn't any sound deadning material there at all. THe metal steps lift off for access to the house batteries. I'm thinking whaterver tune the cat plays the sound is easily being passed directly thru the steel steps. Just my wag (wild ass guess). But being a retired engineer I like to think its a swag (scientific wild ass guess). The sound I just now heard was my wife slapping the back of my head! I will report on what the Great Wizards Of Ford tell me on Monday.

Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain.

Fiesta

Sherman, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The howl in my rear end sounds like it is closer to the front end with throttle applied, and stops as soon as I let off the gas. Gets noiser with higher speeds until about 65.

BillMFl

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fiesta wrote:

The howl in my rear end sounds like it is closer to the front end with throttle applied, and stops as soon as I let off the gas. Gets noiser with higher speeds until about 65.

That sounds similar. Mines quite up to a little over 60, then gets pretty loud unless I let off the gas.

I used to stay in Sherman when I had business at a General Cable plant over in Bonham back in the 80's. Nice little town back then. Bet its grown a lot since.

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillMFl wrote:

My 2012 38' Georgetown gasser is very quiet up to a little over 2000 rpm and 60mph. Slightly over 2000 rpm and between 60 and 65 rpm a rather loud howl seems to come not from the engine compartment but furthur back where the two exhaust pipes join the catalytic converter. Its totally rpm related because when I take my foot off the gass the noise completely stops even if my speed is way above 60. The noise actually slacks off a bit abouve 75. I'm guessing there might be some harmonic resonation going on above 2000 rpm. Anybody else experience this with the V10?. The engine performance is very good. Plenty of power and if I'm not using speed control I often catch myself creeping up to 75 or 80. At any speed the noise stops totally when I let off the throttle. So its not tire noise, etc.

Not the rear end differential, which is what it sounds like?

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Model 6350 on a 1997 Chevy P32
Chassis_7.4 Vortec Engine_4L80E Tranny_slide_tag axle.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillMFl wrote:

Ha ha, well it seems like there are a variety of "howls" out there. Mine is directly due to engine rpm. Like I said, its very quiet at high speed if I take my foot off the gas pedal. Not wind noise or it would still be heard even if rpms dropped when the coach was still rolling at high speed. Same should apply for rear end noise since the drive shaft and pinion gears should still be spinning. Going to Ford Truck dealer on Monday. I suspect that with both exhaust header pipes feeding a somewhat small cat converter the exhaust flow at high rpms is blowing thru the restriction just like a brass band instrument. But then I'm just a stupid old retired senior citizen and expect Ford to tell me its all in my head. The entry steps are directly above the cat and there isn't any sound deadning material there at all. THe metal steps lift off for access to the house batteries. I'm thinking whaterver tune the cat plays the sound is easily being passed directly thru the steel steps. Just my wag (wild ass guess). But being a retired engineer I like to think its a swag (scientific wild ass guess). The sound I just now heard was my wife slapping the back of my head! I will report on what the Great Wizards Of Ford tell me on Monday.

Yes, the rear end gears are still spinning BUT, the loading on the gears and bearings is completely different. When power is applied to maintain speed or when accelerating, the ring and pinion gears are loaded to the point where noise/howl can happen if they are not meshing properly. A loud howl is NOT normal and will just lead to premature wear, which will produce more noise. Once you let off of the gas, the gears are still meshing, but they are freewheeling and not under any load.

zman-az

Northern AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a whistling noise on mine, it was a vacuum issue. Only did it at high RPMs under load, let off gas and noise gone. I noticed a pinch in the line and worked it back into shape and the noisegone. My noise was in the engine compartment,

C&J

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Yes, the rear end gears are still spinning BUT, the loading on the gears and bearings is completely different. When power is applied to maintain speed or when accelerating, the ring and pinion gears are loaded to the point where noise/howl can happen if they are not meshing properly. A loud howl is NOT normal and will just lead to premature wear, which will produce more noise. Once you let off of the gas, the gears are still meshing, but they are freewheeling and not under any load."

That descripition of how rear end noise occurs explains what I'm hearing on my coach, a 2011 Itasca Sunova on the Ford F-53 chassis. My question is, how loud is abnormal? I can hear it at highway speeds, but it doesn't drown out conversation (any more than wind and tire noise). I'd call it more of whine than a howl. Is it worth whining about to a Ford dealer?

2011 Itasca Sunova 33C

kokois1

US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thankfully, I have not had this problem!

Steve and LuAnne
2010 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 33U
Ford V10 Power Platform
Golden Retriever: KoKo

kokois1

US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thankfully, I have not had this problem!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Ford V10 howling sound
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS