|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Ford V10 howling sound

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:

Rochester, Mn

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 09:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In a MH, you shouldn't be able to hear noise from the rear differential over the "normal" noise of wind and engine up front.

Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

BillMFl

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 05:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OOOOOOHHHH NOOOOOOO! Somebody called me a whiner!

Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain.

stephen hale

villa rica, georgia,usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/13 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had the same symptoms with a used 2011 motorhome I bought with 2500 miles on it with v10 ,dana rear end and Ford chassis. Ford had me take it to a local Ford dealer who replaced the differential. Didn't solve the problem so I took it to the Fleetwood service center in Indiana. By the time we got to Indiana the noise had quieted down some. Fleetwood said all of the Ford chassis have the whine or howl in different degrees because unlike cars the gears in trucks are unpolished.
On the way home to Georgia the noise got quieter yet and now I hardly notice it. See my past posts for responses to this problem.

s.m.hale

dkreuzen

Lake Havasu City, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/13 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a new 2000 Excursion with a V10 and it had a vibration/noise at 2100-2300 rpm. Drove me crazy for almost three years because the dealer I bought it from could never find the problem. I moved to a another state and took it to the dealer there, demonstrated the problem so they knew exactly what I was talking about. They had it for two days and found that Ford had a replacement Y-pipe to repair the problem. After that never had the vibration again.

Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2007 16' Car Hauler Trailer

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/13 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stephen hale wrote:

Had the same symptoms with a used 2011 motorhome I bought with 2500 miles on it with v10 ,dana rear end and Ford chassis. Ford had me take it to a local Ford dealer who replaced the differential. Didn't solve the problem so I took it to the Fleetwood service center in Indiana. By the time we got to Indiana the noise had quieted down some. Fleetwood said all of the Ford chassis have the whine or howl in different degrees because unlike cars the gears in trucks are unpolished.
On the way home to Georgia the noise got quieter yet and now I hardly notice it. See my past posts for responses to this problem.

I will not dispute your results but I must add that my Workhorse W-20 chassis also uses a Dana differential, as do most WH chassis, and it never had the rear end howl.
Now to further examine what you were told, especially about the gears NOT being polished. Let's assume that what he is saying is correct. Does that mean that as your gears ARE polished through use, that gear metal is being ground off and those metal particles will find their way into the bearings, etc? I mean if the gears have to wear in to be quiet, then metal MUST be shaved off in the process.
All differential gears that I have seen are polished where the gears make contact. When properly adjusted, through the use of shims, the gears make contact in the center of each gear and the noise is minimal. During production, it sounds like Ford/Dana is cutting some corners and guessing at the exact adjustment during manufacture and sticking them into a motor home/truck for the new owner, or dealer, to figure out. Sometimes they guess right, and the customer is happy. Sometimes, as in the case of the OP, they guess wrong, and the rear end is noisy. There is a short break-in period with most differential but I would guess that it should be less than 500 miles.
In your case, if the rear end is still getting quieter, after several thousand miles, I would have to assume that there are a lot of metal particles floating around in your fluid that came off of the gears. I would also assume that if it was so tight to begin with, that it MAY have overheated the differential in the initial few hundred miles.

Here are some links: Dana gear adjust
Differential adjustment

BillMFl

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 05:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OOOOOOHHHH NOOOOOOO! Somebody called me a whiner! (make mine a good stout Port please)

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/13 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our v-10 MH, I had a similar noise.... would start about 65mph or so, very annoying . It turned out to be the idler pully bearing for the serpintine belt.

jerseyjim

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/13 03:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GOOD FOR YOU!

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/13 05:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillMFl wrote:

Well today me and a Ford Tech test drove the rig and agreed the noise was definitely coming from the rear axel. I got to walk to the rear of the coach while he drove (a first for me as my wife doesn't drive). They are going to install new gears. Drive train warranty with Ford is 5yr/50 and its covered.

That's great news. Good for Ford to step up and take care of the problem rather than trying to tell you that the noise is normal.

BillMFl

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/13 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well today me and a Ford Tech test drove the rig and agreed the noise was definitely coming from the rear axel. I got to walk to the rear of the coach while he drove (a first for me as my wife doesn't drive). They are going to install new gears. Drive train warranty with Ford is 5yr/50 and its covered.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Ford V10 howling sound
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS