|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Portable air compressor

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
tvman44

Southwest Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a good one from HF for about $90 that fills my 80 lbs tires fairly quick and if electricity is not available I simply crank up my Champion generator.

Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brirene wrote:

This Craftsman fits my needs for a reasonable price. Fills my tires to 80# quickly.

We really like our 150 PSI Sears compress too. Saw the same compressor it at Lowes for same price with Porter Cable label. The closer to 2x of PSI needed by the tires the better I like it. Cycles between 125 to 150 PSI.

grandpaswagon

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 10:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-........&keyword=makita+compressor&storeId=10051http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202713487/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=makita+compressor&storeId=10051

Check the reviews.

* This post was edited 01/24/13 11:01pm by grandpaswagon *

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 12:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just solved this problem, I am installing a Pacbrake exhaust brake and it comes with a 150 psi 12V on-board compressor and a 1/2 gal air tank. Line and fittings are provided to attach a 25' coiled air hoes to.

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Hedwig and Precious.
Portland, OR.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins 5 speed, 3.55 gears, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,Bilstien 5100's, 275,000 miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Helmsey

Knoxville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gale Hawkins wrote:

brirene wrote:

This Craftsman fits my needs for a reasonable price. Fills my tires to 80# quickly.

We really like our 150 PSI Sears compress too. Saw the same compressor it at Lowes for same price with Porter Cable label. The closer to 2x of PSI needed by the tires the better I like it. Cycles between 125 to 150 PSI.

MIL got me this for Christmas and I love it. I believe she found it at Kmart for around $75, not sure if that was a sale or not. The one thing I really like about this is the flow rate, 2 SCFM at 90PSI. I picked up a quick connect kit from Wally World and that helped with changing attachments.
I also carry a 7 gallon tank that this will fill to 120PSI with little issue.

KK4PFX
2011 Ford F-450 4x4 Lariat
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

Days camped in 2012: 34
Days camped in 2013: 30
Days camped in 2014: 29

rdturn

Grain Valley, MO. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harbor Freight has them for $25. 150 PSI. Google them to find one in your area.

-Roger
2004 F250 SD Ford L/B
2008 FR Wildcat 30RL

Flinx777

Murrieta

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After reviewing the postings, I think something like a MV is nice and small to not take up too much space or weight:

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Flow-MF-1050-Portable-Compressor/dp/B000L9AD2U

My only question is that I see it has alligator clips to clip onto a battery. Here's my question though: do I have to pop the hood and clip it to my truck batteries every time I want to run the pump? Doesn't seem overly practical. And how would I get it to reach my RV tires after clipping into the battery in the front of the truck? Just trying to make sure I get the right setup before I buy this.

2000 Ford 350 DRW 7.3L Turbo Diesel, 4 speed automatic, 4.10 rear end, limited-slip differential. Banks Power & Brakes, B&W Hitch
2007 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 34pht

cpaulsen

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 02:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one from HF and paid 39.00 on sale. Works with my truck and 5ver for 80#s.

cpaulsen

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flinx777 wrote:

After reviewing the postings, I think something like a MV is nice and small to not take up too much space or weight:

My only question is that I see it has alligator clips to clip onto a battery. Here's my question though: do I have to pop the hood and clip it to my truck batteries every time I want to run the pump? Doesn't seem overly practical. And how would I get it to reach my RV tires after clipping into the battery in the front of the truck? Just trying to make sure I get the right setup before I buy this.

I find that between the wire and hose length I can reach the tires without too much effort. Clip to the trailer battery if that is just as easy or closer to the tires. Yes you need to clip it direct on the battery as it draws more power than a cigar plug will handle.

I have seen a few posts where they remove the fitting from the compressor head and rethread to standard hose fitting. Then just attach what you like. The included hose does not fit standard air fittings.

Anyway the MV-50 has worked will for me as needed out on the road. The larger unit will fill even faster. I have a small (1.5gal?) 120v compressor at home.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

webslave

Clearville, PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flinx777 wrote:

Now you are beginning to see why many of us carry larger AC powered compressors with tanks.

Most portable 12v compressors are going to be alligator clip type designed to connect directly to the battery. These little guys draw a lot of amps (I have one of the marvelous Slime units that I carry and use with my ATVs - great pump) and due to this, they require heavy gage wires; not what you'll find on the "cigarette lighter" circuits. They use the alligator clips so that you won't plug it into a cigarette lighter socket and blow the fuse or set the wiring on fire. You will also find that many of these units run "hot". Small motors drawing large amps generate heat. That large amount of heat does three things; shortens the life of the motor, shortens the duty cycle (the amount of time the motor can run before you have to stop and let it cool down) and induces more moisture into the air stream (hot air carries more moisture than cooler air, that's why tanks have drain valves). The moisture issue isn't as important in Arizona, but, can be an issue in Florida and the Gulf states in the summer. And as you noted, they tend to be too short, both in power cable and air hose, not so "handy" for airing up your RV. They are designed for "emergency" use around your vehicle, not everyday use around the RV and campsite.

None of those obstacles are insurmountable... You can add a larger gauge (need to go up in wire size to account for extra length) power supply cable. You can re-engineer the air hose to be able to add a longer hose (most of these portable units use proprietary fittings; you can't just unscrew the hose and screw a longer one on). You can reposition your truck every time you want to air up the RV's tires. You can spend longer time airing up to let the unit cool down so that you don't exceed the duty cycle times. You can just let the water slosh around in your tires since the hot air as it cools will deposit the water inside the wheel over time. Or you can just deal with all the little foibles of the 12v portable air compressor and work around its shortcommings (wait for cooling down, reposition truck, etc). It can be done. Lots of people do it all the time and there is no real reason that you can't. I tried it that way, years ago, and for not very long...

The other alternative is to get a heavier duty, general purpose, AC powered compressor with an air tank. Runs on 110 and most have very long duty cycles. They use standard fittings available at any DIY center, auto parts store or Walmart. They have tanks that allow the moisture to cool out of the air before being pumped into your tires. As I mentioned, I have one of the Slime portables. A very nice 12v compressor, but, I only use it with my ATVs for emergencies; not as a multi-purpose compressor for the RV, truck and campsite or farm (I have a total of 8 compressors around the place). I use the aluminum, dual tank 120v compressor (I didn't pay full price for mine, either, I think I paid in that $130 price range, too). I have twin 25' self coiling air hoses that easily reach all of the tires and the neighbor's campsite if necessary and a tire inflater with built in gauge similar to this:

Tire inflator with gage

As I said, most, but not all, of the 12v issues can be overcome, or, you can spend a bit more and not have to deal with them at all.

My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox with a B&W Companion Hitch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues