|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How To Complete A Private Camper Sale

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
cm11599ps

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are looking to sell our camper privately. Is there anything special that needs to be done? Are there any taxes involved? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

MWJones

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to your local vehicle registeration office and pickup all the paper work you and the buyer will need to complete. This is a MUST to protect YOU !! Yes the buyer WILL owe sales tax.

M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 03:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know about your State specifically, but in mine and I think most others the taxes are between the buyer and the Government with jusrisdiction. The seller typically isn't involved in that transaction.

Income taxes, of course, are another matter, if that's any concern to you...

The thing I worry about most as a seller in a private transaction is getting myself off the hook for any responsibility for the RV once it's left my hands...some buyers aren't exactly lickety-split about transferring Title, and it's not nice to get notices of parking infractions or worse months down the road because they "forgot" to transfer it at all!

In my State there's a form attached to every vehicle Title called "release from liability". or some such language. The seller is to fill that out and turn it in at the time of the sale, and the buyer then has "X" number of days to transfer Title to their name. But even if they fail to do so, by notifying the State of the transaction details, the seller is released from any/all responsibility for the vehicle.

I think this to be the next most important thing to do when selling a vehicle/RV, other than cashing the check, of course!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 05:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

like any vehicle take the new buyer along with the paper work to the dmv and change over the title so you are not responsible for it any more. every thing I have sold I take in and get it changed before he gets the vehicle. if he does go in with me then he doesn't get the vehicle.

wkswenson

USA - MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 05:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure about NY State... but in MA:

Collect Money, Sign over title, send seller away with thier "new" rig... They go to insurance, rmv and pay registration and taxes. They don't accept bill-of-sales any longer. Private party sale pays sales tax on book value (RMV Book)...

If you owe $$$ to the bank, that will involve a call to your bank to understand thier required paper work and length of time it takes to get the title from their vault location.

Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2002 F350 Crew Cab, DRW, 7.3L, Curt Q24K
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy has it right, this is a business deal treat it that way.

LVTOCMP

Green Bay,Wis.

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you fill out the bill of sale you put on there "sold as is condition". I was in a cout of law on an issue after selling an item. This statement held up in the courts. I was relieved of any cost for repairs.

Jerry

woodgeezer

Greater Salt Lake Valley,Utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd add to the trip to the DMV, even if the buyer is out-of-state, they can get a temporary "in-transit" permit to get it home, NEVER let them take your plates. And second, make sure you have their money. Not just a check, never a money order, never a check for more than the purchase price where you give them money back. If they insist on using a check, call their bank and verify the account, go to your bank and present the check for payment(sometimes called a demand payment) and get a cashier's check from your bank and still make the buyer wait two weeks to pick up their rig.That makes sure you get paid.

Too many buyer scams out there!!!!!

wkswenson

USA - MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great tips from woodgeezer - even our Dealer kept the title of our rig until our checks cleared their bank. Cash or certified bank check - if a certified bank check call the bank to verify it is real. too many scams out there for sure.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Such transactions are VERY state law specific.
For instance, in some states the license plates stay with the vehicle forever.
In some states the license plates belong to the vehicle owner, and must be removed when the vehicle is sold. Montana is one such state.
In some states the title is held by the lien holder.
In some states, the title is held by the registered owner. Montana is one such state.
In some states, a Bill Of Sale is necessary, to show the purchase price for tax purposes. In some states, they charge the tax on some magic number that only the DMV knows, in other states they have a "book value" for taxation, and some states there is no sales (or use) tax.
Now, OP, having said all that, what does YOUR state require? THAT is what you need to know. Contact the appropriate authorities in YOUR state for answers.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (may become a toad): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How To Complete A Private Camper Sale
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues