|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How To Complete A Private Camper Sale

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
robsouth

Metro-Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

if he does go in with me then he doesn't get the vehicle.

What happens if he Doesn't go in with you?

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

JimXFarmer

Drive

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

like any vehicle take the new buyer along with the paper work to the dmv and change over the title so you are not responsible for it any more. every thing I have sold I take in and get it changed before he gets the vehicle. if he does not go in with me then he doesn't get the vehicle.

X2 Jim

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 06:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on your state regs, consult the local DMV. In Florida there is nothing to it if you have a clear title.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No different than any other vehicle sale. Sign the back of the title,give the buyer the title and the lien release letter from the bank collect your money. Write an as is where is bill of sale,pull your plates and send him down the road.
He will pay the tax when he goes to register it,if you are selling it well below book value,you can download an Affidavit of sale from the DMV web site,but you don't even need that.

beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 07:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Ohio it is the same as selling any other titled vehicle. Sign the title in the presence of a notary public, hand title to buyer while collecting money.

If there is a loan on the vehicle you need to go through the loan company and follow their requirements.

...a government big enough to give us everything we want is a government big enough to take from us everything we have...
Gerald R. Ford

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

Sooner Schooner

On a Roll

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably not a big deal. Offer it for sale, buyer gives you money, assign the title to the new owner. It is their responsibility to change the title into their name and pay whatever tax that state requires when the go to the dmv.

2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and JAX, Fla

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You particularly need copies of some bill-of-sale dated and timed, maybe even notarized stating you released the vehicle to buyer ---

Otherwise, if the buyer doesn't go directly to RMV, and drives it, tows it, and hasn't yet changed title, then you are still titled in RMV, and therefore, if buyer damages something or someone, you are still owner ... So make sure YOU have signed sale and transfer.

SO, I'd makes sure you have all the sales docs signed too - if you don't have that, no way to prove when it was no longer your vehicle. Liability in this day and age is always a big issue with vehicles.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & JAX Fla
GMC 2500 4x4 Sierra X-Cab
2008 Lance 845
2002 Angler 8B
Back-country camping fanatic

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and JAX, Fla

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 02:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plates stay with us too, in MA ... but I still get a signed statement on delivery for any vehicle I sell. Even keeping the plate, and turning it in, only means it's not on the vehicle anymore, it doesn't prove you sold it.

I never want to 'have to prove it' after the fact in court. Usually, a signed and dated BOS copy, with original wet-signature, not a copy, will short circuit any sheriff comes to your door.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 08:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

You particularly need copies of some bill-of-sale dated and timed, maybe even notarized stating you released the vehicle to buyer ---

Otherwise, if the buyer doesn't go directly to RMV, and drives it, tows it, and hasn't yet changed title, then you are still titled in RMV, and therefore, if buyer damages something or someone, you are still owner ... So make sure YOU have signed sale and transfer.

SO, I'd makes sure you have all the sales docs signed too - if you don't have that, no way to prove when it was no longer your vehicle. Liability in this day and age is always a big issue with vehicles.

That's one of the things that is nice about living in a state where the license plates stay with the seller, not on the vehicle. When I sell a vehicle (ANY kind of vehicle), the first thing I do after the papers are signed and the money changes hands is remove the license plates. The Bill Of Sale and/or the signed Title is the buyer's "temporary registration" (40 days), and I have no further liability for the vehicle.
Now, if the State DMV or MVD has a portion of the title that is to be torn off and sent to the state when a sale is completed, and the seller "forgets" to do that, you bet, he is setting himself up for possible problems!
I made the mistake of "being a nice guy" years ago, and, at the request of the buyer, left the plates on a car I sold. A month or so later, a deputy sheriff was at my door, wanting to know why I drove off without paying for gas at a convenience store in town. Luckily, I had a copy of the Bill Of Sale to prove I had sold the car. I have never left the plates on a vehicle since then!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Kampinkate

Upstate NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have sold several vehicles to personal buyers. As someone else mentioned, be sure to use the words as is and VIN Number on the bill of sale. Get a signature and deal in cash.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How To Complete A Private Camper Sale
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS