|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> TRYING to book State Park in the Florida Keys

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bill & Kate

Stone Harbor, NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It really isn't that bad considering how nice the Florida State Parks are. 11 months ahead of time, you can tell from the RA website what days which sites will open up, and you can be ready at exactly 8:00 AM to click the reserve button and take your chance to be the one that wins the raffle that day. Most days you miss, but we have always been able to piece together a nice stay even during peak periods. We have also been fortunate at picking up odd days here and there as time gets closer and other people cancel.

I really like the RA website. It lets you sort possible sites by size, and usually by location in the campground, and usually has several photos of each site so you can get idea what you are in for.

For us, under $40 for a waterfront site in the Keys in February is worth a little planning and aggravation.

Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Molson (goldendoodle) and Sunny (parti poodle) (recently deceased)
2005 Ford/Quigley 4x4 E-350 Chateau Super Duty Van with 6.0L PSD ("Moby")
2012 Outback Super Light 277RL - 10th Anniversary Edition ("Salty Dog House II")

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no issues with RA and love the convenience of picking my site ahead of time in addition to having specific site info and more and more a picture of the site as well.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't get me wrong; I detest RA. Fact of life with FL State Parks. The FSPs have site equipment length. Other states don't? Can't blame that on RA.

To clarify, yes you can drive up to a Florida State Park and book a site without using RA. And you can extend a stay at the office if they a space without RA.
But to my experience they cannot and will not reserve for a different park or book a future arrival for their park in person. You have to go thru RA.

As an aside, I knew the manager of Gamble Rogers SP. He said they went to dang near 100% occupancy after RA cut in.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

Don't get me wrong; I detest RA. Fact of life with FL State Parks. The FSPs have site equipment length. Other states don't? Can't blame that on RA.

To clarify, yes you can drive up to a Florida State Park and book a site without using RA. And you can extend a stay at the office if they a space without RA.
But to my experience they cannot and will not reserve for a different park or book a future arrival for their park in person. You have to go thru RA.

As an aside, I knew the manager of Gamble Rogers SP. He said they went to dang near 100% occupancy after RA cut in.

You are correct, the only thing they can do at the park is book you a non reservable site unless the reserved site you are on is not reserved for the upcoming day, then they can extend your stay day by day only for days that site is not reserved. You cannot make future reservations on site at a FSP. It is strictly telephone or internet.

NanciL

Bakersville, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill & Kate wrote:

It really isn't that bad considering how nice the Florida State Parks are. 11 months ahead of time, you can tell from the RA website what days which sites will open up, and you can be ready at exactly 8:00 AM to click the reserve button and take your chance to be the one that wins the raffle that day. Most days you miss, but we have always been able to piece together a nice stay even during peak periods. We have also been fortunate at picking up odd days here and there as time gets closer and other people cancel.

I really like the RA website. It lets you sort possible sites by size, and usually by location in the campground, and usually has several photos of each site so you can get idea what you are in for.

For us, under $40 for a waterfront site in the Keys in February is worth a little planning and aggravation.

Times two !!!

Jack L

Jack & Nanci

racedaymechanic

Race City USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We got reservations at Long Key SP for Dec 1 to Dec 14 on RA there are still some left I think

2009 Sabre Palomino "Sissy"
1998 Chevrolet K3500 6.5 Diesel "Brutus"
ptwiringsolutions.com

NCWriter

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

racedaymechanic wrote:

We got reservations at Long Key SP for Dec 1 to Dec 14 on RA there are still some left I think

You'll love it.

I worked in the travel business and the first two weeks of December are often less-booked and open. You can get great deals on Caribbean resorts and cruises those two weeks, for example. I guess many people stay home early and mid-December for holiday festivities leading up to Christmas and New Years.

2006 Leisure Travel Van Free Spirit 210B Sprinter,
also known as the "Lab Cab" for Hearing Dog Raylene
(a 2014 graduate of Dogs for the Deaf, Inc.)

cheiftan23

Southern Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/13 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

racedaymechanic wrote:

Unfortunately, we can't leave Indiana until after spending most of Christmas Day with family. Our reservations cannot be until Dec 27 at the earliest. Would be nice to get some of those days earlier in the month.
Will continue to try. After our desired dates we will watch for cancellations.
May have to check out some private campgrounds.

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/13 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cheiftan23 wrote:

racedaymechanic wrote:

Unfortunately, we can't leave Indiana until after spending most of Christmas Day with family. Our reservations cannot be until Dec 27 at the earliest. Would be nice to get some of those days earlier in the month.
Will continue to try. After our desired dates we will watch for cancellations.
May have to check out some private campgrounds.

Most likely you will be able to find an opening in a private park for that time period, but be ready for "Sticker shock!"

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur baby." A Chihuahua mix.

Full time since June 2006

cheiftan23

Southern Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/13 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did it!!
After trying for a solid week, we were the lucky ones this morning. Reserved a site at Long Key!
Just have to have a little patience. Watch the clock and click at the last second. Luck of the draw is all it is.
Now we can rest easy and plan the rest of the vacation around this reservation.
Sticker shock is why we always try for the state parks first. Lots cheaper, but of course, since you pay when you reserve, Reserve America has our money all year too.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> TRYING to book State Park in the Florida Keys
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS