|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV Sales off to a Robust Year

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
peaches&cream

Northwest Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2013/01/tampa-show-attendees-reporting-strong-sales/

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 08:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is JMHO, but I do think RV sales are going to be strong for a couple years, provided no disasters happen that affect the complete nation.

I've also been watching the market, and I think the market has changed since the big tanking in '08. It will be interesting to watch.

I was reading some negatives though. One comment was about a major company (not sure which) that was going back to Filon on luan for the siding after running a couple years selling rigs with Azdel siding. People need to watch for that, since a 2011/2012 model that may be delamination-resistant, might not have a 2013/2014 successor that is.

Of course, there are some promising new technologies. Atwood's on-demand water heater that fits in a six gallon enclosure will be something that will be a must have.

Then, there are existing technologies which are getting cheaper, so hopefully will make it into more rigs. Solar cells and chargers for example, or lithium-ion house batteries.

bucky

Eastern Shore of MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 04:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the dealers around here are tanking, or surviving off used sales only. I don't believe a word the media says anymore.

* This post was edited 01/26/13 05:28am by bucky *

I just realized that my last 4 trucks were gas GMC, diesel Ford, gas Chevy, and now a diesel Dodge. I didn't realize I was so open minded lol.

cjoseph

WV

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 09:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, barring catastrophe, the baby boomers should be wanting to hit the road.

See the USA in your Birkshire Hathaway!

Let's hope it keeps rolling.

Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

IDman

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dealers in Colorado have closed or cut back drastically. Most have gone to carrying low-priced and lower quality units so they can sell more. Inventories are down, as have been for last 3 years or so. Poor economy + poor economic outlook = low inventories = low sales.

NCWriter

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 06:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

Most of the dealers areound here are tanking, or surviving off used sales only. I don't believe a word the media says anymore.

A lot of bricks & mortar neighborhood businesses are struggling because buyers are internet savvy for finding best prices and strong customer service reputations even if the dealer is a long distance away. The smarter, adaptable retailers will survive and use the developing technology to their advantage.

2006 Leisure Travel Van Free Spirit Sprinter

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV sales have been strong last year, some dealers here claim to have had their best year ever… while that might be true there are fewer dealers at the same time…

The brick & mortars are struggling because they are disadvantaged by the so called internet savvy buyer and e-seller, that use the B&M to kick tires and use up the sales staffs time while never intending to buy anything because they are to savvy and able to find a e-seller with no overhead, employing no one, offering nothing to the community, and paying relatively no taxes that will undercut a traditional and local B&M…

of course the savvy internet buyer will still expect the B&M to carry a full line of stock for their convenience and parts needed more quickly than the 3 to 5 business delivery days of the internet store and if they can’t do that for them, they should close their doors…

It’s hard to imagine what life will look like when all the smarter, adaptable retailers survive and use the developing technology to their advantage and there are no traditional B&M stores left, just the smarter adaptable big box’s and the e-stores…

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

bucky

Eastern Shore of MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 05:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a lot of people on here that at times are full of things. I am just speaking about my very rural area. We were in the Tampa area last weekend, but the weather was too good to go look at units we can no longer afford. We did go to Hershey in the fall, and there was a lot of sales activity, but some of the dealers had sold signs on every unit when the show opened the first day. It's an old sales con, make everybody believe that they are going to miss out on somthing. I do believe the larger metro areas are doing well, but here in rural America not so much.

peaches&cream

Northwest Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 05:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JJBIRISH wrote:

RV sales have been strong last year, some dealers here claim to have had their best year ever… while that might be true there are fewer dealers at the same time…

The brick & mortars are struggling because they are disadvantaged by the so called internet savvy buyer and e-seller, that use the B&M to kick tires and use up the sales staffs time while never intending to buy anything because they are to savvy and able to find a e-seller with no overhead, employing no one, offering nothing to the community, and paying relatively no taxes that will undercut a traditional and local B&M…

of course the savvy internet buyer will still expect the B&M to carry a full line of stock for their convenience and parts needed more quickly than the 3 to 5 business delivery days of the internet store and if they can’t do that for them, they should close their doors…

It’s hard to imagine what life will look like when all the smarter, adaptable retailers survive and use the developing technology to their advantage and there are no traditional B&M stores left, just the smarter adaptable big box’s and the e-stores…

Very true. No one here will purchase a RV unless they get 30 to 35% off. Yet they want the RV to be perfect, no surprises, and they want a "lifetime" warrenty even if the written warrenty states 2 yrs. I just wonder where they will find all these used RV's when all the dealers selling new rv's go out of business? Of course this is BS. Look at the people that attended the Tampa RV Show and look at the sales they recorded. I think there are a few on this forum that are full of BS.

NCWriter

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 06:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JJBIRISH wrote:

What I am talking about are RV dealers that use technology well ... combined with great staff and service. There are local dealers around the US who have had great web sites for years, send messages to buyers when a unit comes in of interest to that buyer, have online answers to your questions and back up their Internet marketing with excellent service. They've managed to survive the recession and are doing well as people are buying again.

Then there are dealerships with clueless salespeople, out of date web sites, etc who sit around and whine about the economy. But this is true in every type of business.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV Sales off to a Robust Year
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS