RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Mascerator pump?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Mascerator pump?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
rts150

Oconto Falls

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am absolutely new to RV-ing in general, and just bought a travel trailer from a relative. To empty it, I was told to use a mascerator pump. I bought a Flojet model from Amazon, and have a couple questions before I use it. The hose that comes out, does that hook directly to the city water port on the RV, or does it go into the water fill?

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This doesn't really answer your question because I don't know how your pump is set up. However, I don't really know why you would need a macerator pump at all, unless you have to pump up hill. A macerator chews up the "stuff" into smaller pieces and pushes it out. A standard 3" RV sewer hose connected to the RV sewer connection, running to the CG sewer connection, is all you need for gravity dumping.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

2oldman

Nashville TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 07:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you're a *bit* confused on what a macerator does. It's a poop grinder. It should have come with instructions.

No, do not hook it up to city water.

Flyfisherman128

Broadalbin, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

The hose that comes out, does that hook directly to the city water port on the RV, or does it go into the water fill?

I know your new to this but that's scary.

eHoefler

ozark mountains

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 08:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Flo-Jet does have a hose fitting inlet for back flushing/rinsing, this is most likely what he is talking about.

Like said above, it is not necessary to use the macerator if you can gravity dump. But if you are dumping at home, it may be necessary to pump it up hill or a good distance.

2014 Ram Laramie, 3500, Crew Cab, Long bed, 4 x 4,Dually, Lights & Siren!

2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 09:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why would anyone suggest using a mascerator pump to empty the trailer holding tanks?

And it is not "Clean" water, so never add it to the drinking water tank.

Most people use a 4" plastic drain hose. Check the rear bumper, and see if there is on inside.

You really needed to spend more time at the pre-delivery inspection, asking these types of questions from a well informed camper owner.

If you live where it is in the 50's or 60's outside right now, you can call around for a campground, and hopefully meet with the owner or someone who can help answer these important questions, tell you how to do anything else you might have questions about, such as running the refrigerator, or something else.

Yes you need to start the refrigerator about 24 hours before you plan on loading it with food, and my suggestion is to fill it with food about a day or at least the night before planning on leaving, so it is ready to go. The refrigerator MUST be level for it to work properly. If not level, it can be damaged perminately.

Then with one propane tank on, your refrigerator will switch from 110 volt operation to gas automatically when you unplug before hitching to the truck.

Do you have a brake controller in the truck? It is really important if the trailer is over 3,000 pounds. If two axles, you MUST have a trailer brake controller.

Fred.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 05:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden_HVAC wrote:

Why would anyone suggest using a mascerator pump to empty the trailer holding tanks?

I've been asking this question for years.

I have been at CG's where these RV's turn on that pump that is loud, drones on and takes forever to empty a tank and pump their chewed up poop into a gravity dump site with the 1 1/4" hose.

News Flash! These macerator pumps are intended for situations for pumping out tanks where the sewer is 'uphill'.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

tvman44

Southwest Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Flo-Jet does have a female hose fitting inlet for back flushing/rinsing, I sometimes connect a hose from pedestal to that to rinse pump and hose after pumping poo to tank in back of truck.

Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tvman44 wrote:

The Flo-Jet does have a female hose fitting inlet for back flushing/rinsing, I sometimes connect a hose from pedestal to that to rinse pump and hose after pumping poo to tank in back of truck.

and most pedestal water spigots do NOT have a back flow protector.

Just another reason I don't think these should be used in CG's.

Bucky Badger

Madison, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 01:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhillmanor wrote:

tvman44 wrote:

and most pedestal water spigots do NOT have a back flow protector.

Just another reason I don't think these should be used in CG's.

The pump should have one on it otherwise, I think, black water would come shooting out

Fred & Jodie, dogs, Mika, Keiko and Emma

2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Mascerator pump?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing