RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anything positive about Windows 8? Six days left.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Anything positive about Windows 8? Six days left.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 11:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought two computers just before Windows 8 came out but they came with free upgrades. I upgraded one of the laptops, added Classic Shell and Windows Media Center. I kept it for three weeks and had, what I perceived to be several minor issues with the upgrade. I finally decided to roll back that computer to Windows 7.

The issue is that I also have a free upgrade for the other computer, good only until January 31. I had originally decided that I would pass on the free upgrade but with 6 days left I want to make sure I don't make a mistake by passing it up.

Does anybody see any advantage to Windows 8 on a laptop without touch screen?

2005 F250 Crew Cab LWB Power Stroke, 2007 Montana 3500RL Fifth Wheel,Honda EU3000IS, Twin Honda EU2000i's, S&W security system

gajd33

Winder,GA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 12:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used both. I think windows 8 is faster but windows 7 is more comfortable and stable for me. I dont think its a good idea unless you have a touch screen device.

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 01:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have read that others think it is faster although I didn't personally notice the difference during the three weeks I used it. There are several threads on this and other forums but what I am really looking for is the statement, "Windows 8 is better because....".

Since I was a purchaser of a Vista computer when it replaced the XP I have learned that Microsoft's newest ideas are not necessarily their best ideas.

strollin

San Martin, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 12:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Windows 8 is faster but as previous poster said, I am perfectly comfortable with Win 7. My position is that I won't upgrade any of my personal computers to Win 8. If I should buy a computer in the future that has Win 8 already on it I will be fine with that.

I have to use Win 8 in my job as a developer because we support our product running on Win 8 (as well as Win 2000, 2003, XP, Vista). In our testing of our product, we have come across very few problems with Win 8. It's actually very stable.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 12:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I have to upgrade it is going to be a Mac. I am sick and tired of having to troubleshoot and fix all of Windows junk.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one with XP and one with Windows 7 that is still a struggle but I am sure that is an age related thing.

We have to have 8 to test our new software releases. Our lead IT contact states she would NOT take a free upgrade from 7 to 8 for her personal use just because of the tile look and feel.

Professionally most IT types prefer to stay one major release behind Microsoft because they need computers that work well without software hassles or complaining users.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an SSD drive for my "c" so speed is not an issue. I like cutting edge technology and normally embrace it. But, I am predicting that Windows 8 will be not be popular or well accepted and will turn out overall to be a bust for Microsoft.

(your opinion and experience may be different)

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes upgrade for free. check several prior threads on this. don't see the need for a touch screen computer. that is a plus, not a requirement. but it has a learning curve, don't get it if you are going to use it two days, whine, and quit.
bumpy

raytronx

Traveling

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 03:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boots up faster than any Windows Ive ever used. about 10 secs on my Toshiba Satellite Laptop. Has been stable for me, no issues.

Love Your RV Blog

Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE - 1994 Ford F350 7.3l IDI DRW

PyrateSilly

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know we are looking for a laptop for Thom's mom right now. We are specifcally looking for one that has windows 7. Why not go with 8? Well it is WAY too different for her, we know her lvl on computers and the internet and we already get enough calls on how to do this or that even thou she's written the directions down several times.
Both the laptops we have in the RV are windows 7. Will we go to 8? Nope and probably never. Actually Thom got his laptop not that long ago just so that he could make sure it was 7 and not 8. He works enough on the computers at work even thou he's not the IT guy, he's the one that gets called for any number of reasons. Our oldest is very big into IT. Has to be with his job and no he's not even thinking about 8.

So in essance if you are having thoughts about should you or not then don't.

Thom, Gascap and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale 40ft 300hp RV.
Our blogged repairs and travels

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Anything positive about Windows 8? Six days left.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS