|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Yucky consignment RVs at PPL

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Snowman9000

IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today we paid a visit to the PPL Motorhomes lot in Houston. We weren't actively shopping, just looking. I would guess we went inside 15 MH's and a handful of fivers. Some were quite new but most were 6 to 10 years old. Every single unit smelled BAD! Either moldy, or smoke-masking-chemical-y, or combos of mold and something else. No two were the same; every one had its own unique bad smell.

I don't know if this is a problem with keeping an RV down in this area, or if it is more about the kind of RV that ends up being consigned, or what.

2014 Sunseeker 2300 Class C (Chevy 4500)
Going soon: 2004 Crossroads Cruiser 28RL 5er

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a similar observation at a local RV dealer in central Pennsylvania. It seemed that they kept a few junky used units on their lot to show to prospective buyers. After the buyers realized what was available in the used section, the dealer would try to sell you a new unit..
Maybe having junky or dirty units on their lot is part of their marketing plan to sell new units? JMO

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Maybe having junky or dirty units on their lot is part of their marketing plan to sell new units? JMO

If so, its effective, my wife isn't interested in any used RV's.

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

sch911

Rochester Hills, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Except for one thing, PPL does not sell new units. It's really a buyers market. I'm sure they have many that are just fine. If you don't like the smell don't buy it!

OEM Auto Engineer
2003 Damon Challenger 348 Class A - F53 Triton V10
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V8 Toad

John&Joey

Some Location

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 05:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I store a 5'ver down here and do my traveling in a MH. The 5'ver does not smell after sitting all summer. Of course I store it under an overhead and have a good roof on the rig. The Texas sun is brutal on roofs, or maybe those rigs came from the Sandy storm.

Halmfamily

Munford, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We started out our RV shopping looking at used ones also but ran across the same problem. Talking with dealer he said a good quality used one does not last long on the lot, usually less than a week. We ended up buying a new after being grossed out by the used ones.
Travel on,
Randy

2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman bike rack
2013 FR Sandpiper 366FL 40' Front Living Room 4 Slides. 12650 lbs (Sandy)

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we sold our Endura in a private sale last spring, the couple that bought it said the same thing. They'd looked at some on lots and some at people's homes and they all were dirty and/or smelled. She was a clean freak and said ours was the first unit that she didn't walk in and walk right out of.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

webhannet

Southern Coastal Maine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Consignment unita are the ones people have given up on - the dealer doesn't do much to fix them - the owners just want OUT - and, as said, the good ones have already sold. Most of those units at PPL have traveled some distance to get there - PPL gets results by cutting prices, not by cleaning and fixing things. The prices there seem really good, don't they? There's a reason.

dalmationlovers

Port Orchard, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We spent over a year looking for our current Class C. We looked at good units and bad units, both private and on dealers lots. I couldn't believe how anyone could put something up for sale in such terrible condition. We kept looking. We findly came accross our current unit on a lot about 90 minutes away and from a dealer with a good reputation. We are happy with our purchase. The key is to not get in a hurry and to buy what you want. There are many units that are junk and many that owners like us take care of. I told more than one seller, both private and dealer, that my 87 Allegro was in better shape then their newer units and thank you and have a nice day.

Homer

Northeast Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have dealt wit PPL and had excellent results. lets face it folks if they were not doing things right they would not have been in business as long as they have. They are "big" when I sold my Class C through them they went over it with a fine tooth comb. I would have no hesitation buying from them,providing they had what I want. I know of some consignment dealers around here that do have just junk on the lot. They get you on the lot with low prices, then pitch new ones. PPL does not sell new units. They make more money by asking top dollar since they work on a percentage basis.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Yucky consignment RVs at PPL
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS