RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: OH NO Silicon!!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> OH NO Silicon!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
nmhuntr

Las Cruces, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK I was ready to use the Dicor on my roof around the vents and along the front edge. The vents went great and I go to clean and prep the front edge and it has silicon on it.

It is all along the front and upon closer inspection it is also around the skylight. I guess the only option is to pull off all the silicon I can being careful not to cut the rubber roof and then use the eternabond tape to lap over everything??

At least I know why my antenna was not turning. The idiot used silicon around it as well up against the rotating piece

Ideas??

Thanks

* This post was edited 01/25/13 04:05pm by an administrator/moderator *

2005 Fleetwood Pioneer ASV 180FK
2008 Tundra

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to remove a lot of it on my TT. I used a caulk remover made by 3M (sorry threw the bottle). The remover is applied to the bead of caulk and allowed to soak. In a few hours, the caulk is wiped away. Any residual silicone can be scraped with a plastic scraper and the area cleaned with a solvent.

Be sure to get every last bit of silicone off the surface before applying the Eternabond tape, it will not stick to any surface with a trace of silicone. FWIW, I sealed my entire TT and then did a pressure test. The only areas that had no leaks where the joints covered by Eternabond. It is a great product!

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Camp, Forrest, Camp!

Boise, ID

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 04:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Teach me something new. What's wrong with silicone? I thought it was the preferred material for sealing joints on RV's.

-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW. 7.4L, Auto, 1985 Lance 900, 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

Camp, Forrest, Camp!

Boise, ID

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Teach me something new. What's wrong with silicone? I thought it was the preferred material for sealing joints on RV's.

MEXICOWANDERER

las pe├▒as, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Contact 3M for the best way to remove silicone without damage.

I am still wayne_tw

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westend wrote:

I used a caulk remover made by 3M (sorry threw the bottle). The remover is applied to the bead of caulk and allowed to soak. In a few hours, the caulk is wiped away. Any residual silicone can be scraped with a plastic scraper and the area cleaned with a solvent.

Be very very careful with this approach. Most solvents and probably that caulk remover contain petroleum products which ruin a rubber roof!

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 04:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Silicone is good for everything but rubber, is my understanding. It is flexible, doesn't dry out and is long lasting. Yes, it's a bugger to remove.

2000 Born Free 24RB Class C
6.8L Ford V-10 Engine, E450 Chassis

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 04:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camp, Forrest, Camp! wrote:

NEVER NEVER on a membrane roof!!!! that's what Dicor or eternabond is for.

And second, most silcone's you buy at the local hardware store don't adhere well to metal or filon. the best sealers are available from RV stores or marine supply stores and are designed to adhere to the siding and plastic well. The best ones that I have found may not even be silcon based AFAIK.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

nmhuntr

Las Cruces, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am still wayne_tw wrote:

westend wrote:

I used a caulk remover made by 3M (sorry threw the bottle). The remover is applied to the bead of caulk and allowed to soak. In a few hours, the caulk is wiped away. Any residual silicone can be scraped with a plastic scraper and the area cleaned with a solvent.

Be very very careful with this approach. Most solvents and probably that caulk remover contain petroleum products which ruin a rubber roof!

Can I just lap the êternabond over everything after I pull as much silicon off as possible?

harold1946

Surprise Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Silicone sealant is not recommended because when it comes time to reseal, nothing will adhere to it, not even more silicone. It is very difficult to remove and has to be completely removed before resealing.

Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> OH NO Silicon!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts