RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Surge protector theft prevention?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Surge protector theft prevention?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 04:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it recommended / necessary to install a surge protector on your 5er shore power hookup?
I assume the surge protector, when installed, is at the electrical service panel. What does one do to prevent surge protector theft or is theft a concern?
Thanks.
Lakeside

deereone

NE

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say if your worried about theft, get a hardwired model that mounts inside. We camp 7 months out of the year and have never heard of a portable one being stolen.

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TRC Surge guard sells a box that goes over their unit that will let you run a cable thru it. Progressive industries EMS has a tab on the cord that let's you run a cablet thru to lock it up.

trc surge guard lock

* This post was edited 01/25/13 04:46pm by bob213 *

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Or you could do as the vast majority of folks do--and not have a surge suppressor.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 2500 MSW watt inverter.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about one of these...

Surge Guard Lock

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Recycled El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

Miles Away

Lebanon, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I highly recommend some sort of theft protection for your power cable and surge protector. If you have 50 amp. service, your surge protector will cost between $350 and $400, depending on the type and place of purchase. A 50 amp power cord will cost you another $200 - $300, again depending on the above factors. So, it should go without saying that you should do something to protect these expensive items. I have looked at the commercial locking devices sold at most RV stores and to say the least, they are junk, and they only secure the power cord to the surge protector, which doesn't protect anything given that all a thief has to do is unplug the power cord & surge protector at both ends and walk off with both.

I made a steel cable device that crimps tightly around the male end of the power cord and another that crimps around the female end of the surge protector, leaving a second loop on each (it will look like a figure eight with a cable crimp in the center). I then pass a short piece of chain through both loops, then around the power supply box and secure it with a pad lock. Most any hardware store has the cable & crimpers and will assist you in making it, but you will have to bring the power cord and surge protector with you so that they can properly fit and install the cables. The cost for both ends totaled about half what a commercial device costs and is about four time better.

It can only be removed with bolt cutters or a hacksaw, but then again so can the commercial devices.

M & M On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

raytronx

Traveling

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lakeside013104 wrote:

Is it recommended / necessary to install a surge protector on your 5er shore power hookup?
I assume the surge protector, when installed, is at the electrical service panel. What does one do to prevent surge protector theft or is theft a concern?
Thanks.
Lakeside

Best thing is install it inside if possible. No worry about it walking away and you can see the readout for monitoring the voltage and amperage.

Here's my install.

Ray

Love Your RV Blog

Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE - 1994 Ford F350 7.3l IDI DRW

HappyKayakers

Malabar FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 05:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many people do NOT use surge protectors. I consider them very cheap insurance for all the electronics in my RV. I used to have a lock for my first surge protector, then just got tired of locking it down. Maybe the places I've stayed just look trustworthy. If I felt it might be at risk I'd break out the cable and lock.

FWIW, I read of more thefts of power cords from units in storage than I do of thefts from people actually using their RVs.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2006 Heartland Bighorn 3600RL, MorRyde suspension, TrailAir pinbox
http://happykayakers.com/

CJ5 jeeper

Auburn, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed a hardwired model, as it is one less thing to deal with when hooking up and unhooking. It is out of sight, and out of mind, and it has been worth it, as three times it would not let power through because of power problems.

grandpalarry

Fulltime

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 05:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a family across from us that claim they take about 20 min. to hook up thier power and they have in excess of $1,000 in Supressors and locks and locks for the locks.I am like the other poster that said 7 years and never heard of a theft, I've never heard of anyone loosing thier stuff. I agree it's cheap insurance but there is something called "Insurance Poor".

I don’t need anger management-I just need people to stop pissing me off.
Vancouver, WA
2006 Holiday Rambler DP

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Surge protector theft prevention?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: