RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Best quality: Arctic Fox/Nash vs. Lance

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Best quality: Arctic Fox/Nash vs. Lance

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AF is heads above the Lance. Take a look at the Lance frame. AF will take more abuse.

LewBob

Lebanon, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WoodGlue wrote:

LewBob, which model of the Lance were you looking at?

Thanks,

WoodGlue

The 1685.

Lew
2011 Arctic Fox 22H
2012 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 EcoBoost
"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." --Bob Seger (Against the Wind)

WoodGlue

Los Angeles / Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 09:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolbreeze01 wrote:

They both make truck campers. I'd see what owners have to say in that forum also.

X2 on this suggestion!

WoodGlue

Los Angeles / Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LewBob wrote:

The 1685.

It took me 2 years of research before I pulled the trigger on my 2013 Lance 1685.

What sold me on the Lance was the lightweight aspect in that they use Lite-Ply instead of traditional plywood and Lite Ply is almost 50% lighter iirc. The cabinets are all faced with traditional wood imported from Spain, tongue and groove.

At 4:40 on the video, see what Lite-Ply weighs against traditional plywood:

Lite-Ply vs Traditional Plywood

Also pinch-rolling the fiberglass in the walls instead of vacuum bonding is the crux at not getting the delamination that so many vacuum bonded units get, in my opinion.

WoodGlue

** edited to make correction

* This post was last edited 01/25/13 09:37pm by WoodGlue *   View edit history

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 09:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sbowman871 wrote:

LewBob wrote:

donn0128 wrote:

Even with an ecobooat your going to be severely limited if you go with a fox. They are just plane heavy. I would not consider anything over about 22. Feet with your setup.

We have the heavy-duty tow package rated for 11,500 pounds gross.

How heavy is a A Fox?. ...(fellow ecobeast driver. )

What i will say is that if you are looking at the dry weight numbers you will be on for a real shock. When all is said and done you will be bumping right up against the trailers GVWR numbers. There are many reasons for that, including construction and frame design. Northwood has a reputation for decent quality at the price of weight. Go over to afnash.com and ask some questions to verify my comments. I owned a rather small fox 19b and compared to other trailers of that size it was way heavier. You will be hard pressed to find a company that supports their products any better than northwood, and being one of the last privately held companies you are dealing with family, not a big comglomerant.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

mrkoje

Great Falls, MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 10:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the OutdoorsRV backcountry 26fs. The construction is absolutely amazing for a camper. It's built on a northwood frame and is very 4seasons capable. A step up to the creekside and you can get some nice floor plans for full timing. Their are two other lines as well from OutdoorsRV which are Timber Ridge and Blackstone though they are high dollar units 35k+++

If you are looking at something to live in while bing in cold climates you can't go wrong with the Northwood lines including the OutdoorsRV group as well.

Happy camping!!

* This post was edited 01/25/13 10:35pm by mrkoje *

Desert Fox 29SB
Ram 2500 4WD 6.7L CTD
Polaris RZR 1000XP

WoodGlue

Los Angeles / Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 10:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I might also add that the Lance uses Azdel substrate, a material in place ot Luaun wood, which furthers their walls and floors weight lessness and compounds the walls and floors and roofs strength!

Azdel deserves credit for being the super material it is in the Lance Camper & Trailer.

WoodGlue

Padlin

W. Ma.

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 07:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If Lewbob has the HD F-150 he has enough payload capacity, mines 2200 lbs including me. If he has just the max-tow without the HD then he'd have to stick with one of the small units.

Personally I like the the lance 1685 floorplan over the 22' AF's if those are what you're looking at. The bump out is awfull nice in a small trailer. Lance did a good job with all their layouts. The Lance 2285 with the swivel recliners vs the AF 25W with recliners is another tough choice. They are all nice, have fun.

Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

2wiresdave

Right here

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 06:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just went through the exact same shopping criteria. I have a 2011 Ford F 150 Eco boost with max tax package. Truck can "tow" 11,300 pounds... But runs out of capacity real quick when looking at tongue weight and payload etc.

The Arctic Fox is a better trailer from a simple construction and insulation standpoint. Stand in both a Lance and a Arcti Fox and look up at the roof vents. The Fox is obviously hiding a lot more insulation. The frame is dramatically beefier.

That said, I bought a Lance 1985. Liked the layout and some of the construction materials etc. I would have bought the Arctic Fox if I had enough truck to tow it, but can't justify the expense of a 3/4 ton truck at this time ( current truck is only 2 years old)which you honestly need to tow an Arctic Fox in any of the slide models. We had a tough time choosing whether to go with an Arctic Fox 22h - any bigger and we would be maxing out the truck which I don't care for or the Lance with a slide and staying well within capacities of our vehicle.

We are pleased with the Lance so far, have almost 30 nights in it so far. Will put around 90-100 nights a year in the trailer.

An Arctic Fox 5er is our future after we get a few years out of the Lance, truck combo.

Have fun shopping!

RVcrazy

Puyallup, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No comparison for durability. The Fox wins.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Best quality: Arctic Fox/Nash vs. Lance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS