|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> ride in a class a gasser vs class c

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
sjn7708

illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 05:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dont want to start another A vs C thread, and I have read both prior threads, but my question is, having ruled out a Diesel pusher class A due to cost and maintainance, does a class A gasser have any better ride than a class C due to different chassis and wheel size? Would be looking at 32-34 foot. The other option I looked at was full air ride suspension on my current C. I have already done Bilsteins, sway bars, steering stabilizer, front end alignment, etc and it did make a big improvement, but looking to see if my only other option is diesel pusher with air suspension. Thanks

TyroneandGladys

Chandler AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Class C for two reasons
1 No class A has been subjected to federal crash test the van portion of every class C has.

2 The above bed area on a class C is a great private area for a kid with out putting everyting up every day

As far as handling goes everything you have done is good but have you weighed it? If you do not have at least 75% of the rated front axle weight on the front axle you will have handling issues.

Tyrone & Gladys
26' 1986 Coachmen

sjn7708

illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not so much the handling as it is the noise and banging around in the back. Unit handles fine.

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can only talk about my personal RV experience.

We loved our 2002 Class C, Triple E, Senator 28XL, Ford V10, E450.... until we got our 2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L, 8.1L, W24. The Class A is much more stable, with a smoother and much quieter ride. I can drive farther without getting tired, and arrive much more relaxed. We can actually talk to each other while driving.

I do understand that a Class C is probably safer in a crash, but we do ride much higher in the front of the Class A. I joke with my wife that we need to lift our legs up in a crash, and then duck when the microwave comes forward. Timing is everything.

2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

woodgeezer

Greater Salt Lake Valley,Utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's your real concern? At some point the difference is not the class/size. Sounds like you have optimized the suspension in your current rig, are you expecting more from a Class A? How smooth do you want the ride?

I don't have a Class A,never have, but have ridden in several. I didn't like the ride any more than a C except for an Eagle Bus Conversion one friend had. Moving or stopped it felt the same. I have had two Older C that improved with some suspension additions,but the best ride was in a Cube Van I had that was like a 26 fter. It had an extended wheel base, extra heavy duty 3rd member and a few extra leafs. Still wasn't as good as the Eagle, but very good indeed.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

It depends on the length to wheel base ratio. 55% is ideal.

The class A if it has air suspension may ride better. It will, pound for pound, get better mileage.

That said the Class C is lower and can go to smaller camping locations such as publically owned campgrounds.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

trop-a-cal

Palm Coast Fl

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a safety factor of being up higher. Both units need to use the 8 second factor for following traffic for safe stops. But the A will allow you to see farther ahead. The A will give you better parked lifestyle with full front to rear on one level and a panoramic window, for things like sunrises and sunsets. You will be able to see over the tall walls on bridges and Jersey barrier sidewalls like those traveling to Key West. The A front seats turn to become part of the interior living furniture.

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sjn7708,

It sounds like you appreciate everything your class-C offers with exception to the harsh ride.

You are in the Chicago area, right? I would contact George (if he has not yet retired) at Champion Frame Align in Elgin, IL and present your thoughts and desires. They might have insight for proper resolution to get a much softer ride without a sacrific in handling. It does seem that a full rear air suspension is the right direction, but I have no personal experience with them. Maybe there are drawbacks that we are not aware of, and our "soft ride" expectations might be too high as well.

Click Here to get the Champion Frame Align's website with contact information. I'd love to get briefed on what they tell you.

There are altenatives to an air ride rear suspension. I have seen double knuckled shackles and other types of add-ons to the current leaf spring design that might be more affordable, and who knows, maybe more effective.

Morryde is one such company that offers something that replaces the shackles to soften the ride. Click Here then click on the play arrow to watch the annimation. I don't know how effective and reliable these kinds of add-ons are, but they appear non-evasive and affordable.

* This post was edited 01/25/13 08:19pm by ron.dittmer *

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

sjn7708

illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron. Thanks for the info on champion. I had heard about them. Sounds like a good place to start

Gene in NE

Omaha

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 10:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sjn7708 wrote:

dont want to start another A vs C thread, and I have read both prior threads, but my question is, having ruled out a Diesel pusher class A due to cost and maintainance, does a class A gasser have any better ride than a class C due to different chassis and wheel size? Would be looking at 32-34 foot.... Thanks
In your question you posed the size of 32-34 foot. There are not very many 34' Class C's except those called Super C's. We owned a Class A and now have a Class C. The Class A was a P-30 Chevy chassis and rode quiet and almost floated down the road. The Class C is relatively smooth and quiet, but it also is 15 years newer. Not a fair comparison.

2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> ride in a class a gasser vs class c
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS