|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Heart Invertor/Charger question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
larmcintsh

Rathdrum, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2000 watt invertor/charger since I bought it new in 1994. It is a 30' Monaco Dynasty 230hp 3060 six speed Allison. My discovery recently was when the invertor is on and I turn off the 12volt system it spikes to 130 amps. This does not happen when the gen is running or when plug into 50amp. I never notice this before am I missing something. I replaced the solenoid, but it made no difference. The invertor is working fine when charging batteries, either by gen or plug in to 50 amp.It has been rebuilt two times since I have had the RV. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Larry

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the Inverter OFF and NO 120 or Genset power, turn the 12 volt battery system OFF. IF you have NO power to the Inverter(It will not come on or show a display, your Inverter Battery cable is incorrectly wired. The MAIN 2/0 red battery cable from the coach batteries to the Inverter should be direct from the Battery positive post to the 250/300 amp 12 volt fuse and then to the Inverter/Charger. You NEVER have the main 12 volt battery cable to a Inverter/Charger go thru any type battery disconnect, UNLESS that battery disconnect is a MANUAL shut off and on rated at least for 350 amp current. But, the general rule is NO disconnect between the Battery positive post and the Inverter. I will assume the spike is caused by the loss of certain 12 volt feed current. Question, WHY would you turn the disconnect OFF when you are running the Inverter?????? Kind of like driving 30 mph in your Car and you decide to turn the Ignition key off to see what happens. Doug

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 07:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Do you mean 130 volts rather than 130 amps?

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

2oldman

The Q

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 11:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larmcintsh wrote:

I turn off the 12volt system
What does this mean?

larmcintsh

Rathdrum, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Doug, I have not changed any wiring since system was new. I think I understand what you are saying. I have never turned off the 12amp disconnect before so I guess everything is wired right. When I do turn off the 12amp with the invertor off, and then turn it on that is when it spikes. So I will leave everything on. We boondock 95% of the time so I have been turning off the invertor/charger at night to conserve the house batteries. Someone told me to this to conserve house batteries. I guess being 77 I am getting anal. Thanks again. Larry

katysdad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have noticed that cheaper volt meters read MSW power from inverters less accurately than PSW or shore power. I have a Xantrex 458 that reads high (130 -135)especially when turning on or light or no load.

Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Diesel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Heart Invertor/Charger question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS