|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Best place to upgrade my droids to droid DNA

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Lar's

Traverse City, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had droid's for years and want to upgrade to a DNA and an iPhone. Shopped at Verizon store today... sticker shock. Is there a better place to purchase?

If we get them online, is there a quick and easy way to transfer all our data from our current phones to the new ones?

Hate to upgrade, since we have unlimited data, but looking for more speed and easier viewing for my wife.

Thanx

Lar

Lar
Kayaks/Bikes/Hiking Shoes
04 Country Coach
ISL 370
Honda Fit-Auto

Popsie

Livingston, TX, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our cell phones are so old that all they do is send and receive phone calls, and I have no intention of buying a smart phone.

That said, I've seen adds for the "Droid DNA" phone, and to my dumb-phone eyes, the adds say nothing at all about the phones and just provide flashy videos like magically upgrading somebody's physical and mental capacities. As far as I can tell from the commercials, a "Droid DNA" won't necessarily do anything more than my dumb old phone.

I've seen TV ads for other phones that show things like taking pictures or touching phones to trade pictures, but the Droid DNA ads don't show anything like that.

How do you find out this stuff, or do you just have to go the the phone store and talk to a salesman? Not that I plan to get any new phones as long as our old ones continue to work (and we continue to pay just a few dollars a month for unlimited calls).

sch911

Rochester Hills, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazon has the best deal on the DNA right now so far as I can tell.

For iPhone the prices are fixed no matter where you go.

For Android backup as long as you are using a Gmail account and you've checked the backup my contact to my google account you're safe. The app store will restore all of your apps on your new phone once activated.

OEM Auto Engineer
2003 Damon Challenger 348 Class A - F53 Triton V10
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V8 Toad

sch911

Rochester Hills, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Popsie wrote:

Our cell phones are so old that all they do is send and receive phone calls, and I have no intention of buying a smart phone.

That said, I've seen adds for the "Droid DNA" phone, and to my dumb-phone eyes, the adds say nothing at all about the phones and just provide flashy videos like magically upgrading somebody's physical and mental capacities. As far as I can tell from the commercials, a "Droid DNA" won't necessarily do anything more than my dumb old phone.

I've seen TV ads for other phones that show things like taking pictures or touching phones to trade pictures, but the Droid DNA ads don't show anything like that.

How do you find out this stuff, or do you just have to go the the phone store and talk to a salesman? Not that I plan to get any new phones as long as our old ones continue to work (and we continue to pay just a few dollars a month for unlimited calls).

The DNA is currently the most advanced Android smart phone on the market. Yes, it has all of those bells and whistles like touching phones to trade songs, pictures and much more. Smart phones are not for everyone however. A simple Google search will provide every specification one could ever want to know about any of these devices, give it a try...

sch911

Rochester Hills, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SCClockDr wrote:

Your current plan will somewhat dictate your options. Last I checked Amazon Wireless will force you into the Share Everything Plan if you are not already there. I believe most of the big box stores can upgrade you & keep you in your current plan. If you are unlimited then you may need to purchase the hardware outright to stay grandfathered.

Good luck in your quest.

Swyped on my Samsung Note 10.1Tablet

You can keep your existing voice and texting plan, but do have to select a new data plan. That selection includes the tiered 2G, 5G, etc plans and also the Share Everything plans. Your choice....

SCClockDr

SC UpState

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your current plan will somewhat dictate your options. Last I checked Amazon Wireless will force you into the Share Everything Plan if you are not already there. I believe most of the big box stores can upgrade you & keep you in your current plan. If you are unlimited then you may need to purchase the hardware outright to stay grandfathered.

Good luck in your quest.

Swyped on my Samsung Note 10.1Tablet

George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, PD 9260 Upgrade, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO/Mobile/SKY
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart, Cobra (19).
USN Ret

Lar's

Traverse City, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanx. I know we're gonna have to give up data plan. With 2 Droids and an iPad all on our plan, it's as if I was making a car payment. I just don't want to get gouged in the purchase as well.

Lar's

Traverse City, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 06:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr. W, I know what you mean. The most data we use is on the iPad, the phones not so much. I'm sure we can live with the data controls, though not happily. I believe that Verizon and others are gonna eliminate all open data contracts soon anyway.

Still looking for the best place to purchase phones without all those Verizon add ons.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 08:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lar's wrote:

Thanx. I know we're gonna have to give up data plan. With 2 Droids and an iPad all on our plan, it's as if I was making a car payment. I just don't want to get gouged in the purchase as well.

with the amount of data i use, No Way would i switch plans of my own volition
i rather pay full price for the phone and save money on my monthly service pmts

Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus

mdamerell

Fort Wayne

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a change coming in the wireless market of charging you straight up for the phone and a lower cost on your service plan. Since the phones are basically mini computers in which the phone is just an app they cost $600-$1000 for a phone. In the past you got the free phone but the 2 years service plan basically include your monthly payment on your phone.

It’s Crazy To Pay $200 for Your Next iPhone. You Should Pay $600!

2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Best place to upgrade my droids to droid DNA
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS