|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> which fifth wheel is better

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
hoopers

Loveland, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 06:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting choice, as that is exactly the two brands I decided on last fall. I ended up picking Heartland Bighorn over Jayco. Both brands have a few dis-satisfied owners. But overall, for every one of those upset owners, their were probably 50 happy campers.
I liked Bighorn's floor plans better, 6 point leveling, and they have a great owner's forum, where the factory answers questions and other owners discuss everything from A to Z.

Also, the local Jayco dealer had a crappy reputation, and I didn't feel like buying on the internet. Plus, my local Bighorn dealer beat every internet price out there.

2011 Silverado CC DRW 4x4
2013 Ford F150 4x4 ecoboost
2013 Bighorn 3670RL
Texas gulf coast, Colorado, or on the road camping somewhere

LINDA53

EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Artic fox are great too

C Schomer

Buckeye, Az.

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the first time in many yrs, we looked at new 5ers last week at Quartzite. We really liked the Bighorn floor system. I'm big and that was the only rv floor I've been on that wasn't spoungy but that's only one of a zillion things to consider. Too bad the most important things can't be seen... and the rv mfgrs know it! Personally, I won't buy another without dual panes, extra insulation and a better A/C system. Craig

Devocamper

West Haven CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Smarty I see you’re a new member so I have to ask is this going to be your 1st 5th wheel trailer? If so do you really want to start out with a 40 plus foot trailer? Just asking. We have a 36 foot and would never want to go any larger we have four slide outs and all the room we would need, don’t know much about either brand your asking about but you can get some good deals on close out and left over NUWA units that are built for full time use and keep in mind that on some of the other brands listed if you read the fine print you will find are warranted for recreational use not full time use which may mean nothing if you don’t have any major problem but something to think about . Good luck in your adventure.

08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A

kakampers

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As stated earlier Bighorn and Landmark are BOTH warranted for fulltime use, in writing...and Landmark has a 2&5 year warranty...

2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

MPI_Mallard

McGregor Ontario,St. Cloud Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 07:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As already said the right fiver is the one you are going to be happy with in the end,i myself own a Cedar Creek Daydreamer and love it for these reasons;

-Extremly well built
-Full-sized Amana household fridge w/ icemaker(i wouldn't own another fiver without one!!!)
-Trailair pinbox and air-ride suspention(i think they extend the life of my fiver by not allowing the road to beat it and the contents up)
-Extreme storage both inside and out(an absolute MUST for full-timing)
-Dual zone air system(two AC's that operate in seperate areas)
-The biggest thing is Cedar Creeks after-the-sale customer service(i think it's the best in the industry)

That's the short list. I've heard both positive and negative things about big horn's from owners,no more-no less than others,iv'e heard very few complaints about jayco,in my opinion they build a nice rig,for me my next fiver will be a Cedar Creek and due to the way mine is built and held up so far i don't expect it to be soon!

Red Green:
Remember, I'm pulling for ya. We're all in this together!

07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

kakampers

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 12:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

topjimmy wrote:

Yeah Dave, Mobile suites are nice IF you got a 100k The ones that Smarty are looking at are in the 55to 65k range

Well for about 105K I have a new 2011 Ram 3500 Dually longhorn HO Cummins 4X4 loaded and a very nice 2007.5 36 SB3 Mobile Suites. Bought both in the fall of 11.

The Mobile Suites IS A FULL TIME UNIT. There are many lightly used MS units out there. give those mentioned about 3 years and they won't be worth much compared to buying a used MS in a few years will be worth close to what you will pay for it.

We have had the MS for about 16 mo now and I could easily get more for it than we paid for it.

So there ARE ways to have a top quality RV without paying thru the nose!

The best part of a lightly used RV is that the owners have taken care of all the small stuff. And it is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Even though you don't believe it...the Landmark IS a fulltime unit too!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

topjimmy wrote:

Yeah Dave, Mobile suites are nice IF you got a 100k The ones that Smarty are looking at are in the 55to 65k range

Well for about 105K I have a new 2011 Ram 3500 Dually longhorn HO Cummins 4X4 loaded and a very nice 2007.5 36 SB3 Mobile Suites. Bought both in the fall of 11.

The Mobile Suites IS A FULL TIME UNIT. There are many lightly used MS units out there. give those mentioned about 3 years and they won't be worth much compared to buying a used MS in a few years will be worth close to what you will pay for it.

We have had the MS for about 16 mo now and I could easily get more for it than we paid for it.

The best part of a lightly used RV is that the owners have taken care of all the small stuff. And it is a heck of a lot cheaper.

2011 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Dually Long Bed, Cummins 350/800 HO, Towin Machine
B&W Companion Hitch, Maghytec Trans and Rear Dif Covers, AMZ/OIL Top To Bottom
2007 1/2 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 27,000# Combined

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 09:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kakampers wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

topjimmy wrote:

Even though you don't believe it...the Landmark IS a fulltime unit too!

You are correct I don't believe it. Even tho I did not say that. People can claim anything they like but does not mean it is so.

I think most will agree when full time/4 season rating is mentioned Mobile Suites, New Horizons, Carriage, Teton, HitchHiker (not HH2) and the like are the Gold Standard.

I know many do full time in other RV's but there is a difference in quality and long term durability.

Bottom line I was trying to make is why loose a bunch of money on a new rig right away when you can get a higher quality rig that is slightly used for the same money and will be worth more than the lesser quality RV in a few years.

JMHO

topjimmy

west coast usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 01:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are ALOT of brands that are Fulltime units now(4 season) I just bought a Montana and I'm Fulltime, ALMOST bought a Bighorn, we like them but for the same price Montana threw in the $5K Lippert auto level in, All the Brands are making Good 4 season units now, go to the RV show Pick one that is rated 4 season and you like the floorplan and ENJOY!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> which fifth wheel is better
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS