|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Trailer price quotes- big variance

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
BillB800si

S.E. MICHIGAN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been looking at replacing our Jayco with a 3 slide larger trailer. I can't believe the difference in quotes that we are getting. Granted I've went out of State on a few quotes but get this. Using the same model with same options I've received a difference of over $8,000 on quotes. Now these are from regular authorized dealers of the trailers. Some of the dealers don't charge anything for dealer prep. One charged $850 !!!! These all discounted from MSRP but some very little...

It seems to be getting very difficult to obtain the standard 30% off MSRP like we used to get a few years ago. These dealers are hanging tight.
Just thought I would pass these around.

Happy trails,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 MegaCab CTD
2014 Keystone Cougar High Country 321RES trailer

texasclarks

Morgantown, WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$8K is a pretty big 'swing' in price. I assume you have talked with the folks at rvdirect as well as other online retailers.

Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like I posted in an earlier thread....there is no honest MSRP for trailers like there is in the car/truck market.
Each dealer sets their own MSRP as part of the negotiation manipulation game.

Prices for identical units vary WIDELY from dealer to dealer...
Play along and play one dealer's quote against another dealer's quote. It's hard work but it can save you thousands if you are not impulsive or in a big hurry.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

BillB800si

S.E. MICHIGAN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

texasclarks wrote:

$8K is a pretty big 'swing' in price. I assume you have talked with the folks at rvdirect as well as other online retailers.

========================
Oh yes. problem with RV Direct is they don't carry the lines I'm interested in.
It's been quite a challenge these past few months trying to find trailers that have 3 slides (with a regular queen bed that slides). There's a few but but we've eliminated some because of the floor plan. We want the the opposing living room slides to be of equal size with plenty of windows. One nice unit had large slides but the one had all the appliances without one window in it.
Oh and another thing is we want 50 Amp service with 2nd Air Conditioner prep. Kinda narrows the field..
Happy trails,

Farm Camp

Central Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

---

TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
25 Nights camped 2014 (so far)
10 Nights camped 2013. :-)

Our Story...
Places we've camped

BillB800si

S.E. MICHIGAN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 07:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

downtheroad wrote:

Like I posted in an earlier thread....there is no honest MSRP for trailers like there is in the car/truck market.
Each dealer sets their own MSRP as part of the negotiation manipulation game. Prices for identical units vary WIDELY from dealer to dealer...Play along and play one dealer's quote against another dealer's quote. It's hard work but it can save you thousands if you are not impulsive or in a big hurry.

=================================================

Actually the quotes we've received are right off of the manufacturers build sheets. The dealers used the same sheets and came up with identical MSRP but boy were their net prices different.
Happy trails,

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When shopping for ours we found the model/floor plan we wanted at one dealer but it had pretty major rusting underneath on the frame (new unit came down from the north on salted highways he said?). Salesman said he would sandblast the frame and repaint. Quoted $40,000 for it. But I did not trust it to be repainted and the paint last long.
Found an identical trailer at another dealer, but looked perfect and no rust. Salesman quoted approx. $45,000. I said we had just looked at the same trailer at another dealer and he wanted $40,000 for his. This salesman said, OK I will sell mine for $39,500! Just goes to show how they work with the numbers.
Did some more shopping, but that was the best we could find and bought it with some extras thrown in.

SBRK

SE WA / SE TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps special ordering a Travel Trailer to your requirements is the way to go.That is what we did and everything is just like we wanted it. Also, just a thought; we also ordered an extra bedspread. If we ever do decide to sell our RV, it will have a new spread to match the curtains.
Happy travels.
~B~

Oaklevel

MidAlantic

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does not surprise me at all. I did some on line shopping before we bought our 2013. Prices were all over the place. Ordered what we wanted had it built & we came out cheaper at our local dealer than online. They through in extras, was at about 1/3 off MSRP out the door even with state sales tax and with the $1300 shipping cost included.

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 06:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillB800si wrote:

It seems to be getting very difficult to obtain the standard 30% off MSRP like we used to get a few years ago. These dealers are hanging tight.
Just thought I would pass these around.

Well since you failed to give us any details to base any comments on your post is not very informative. There will always be exceptions and if you ask for enough quotes I would not find it unusual for one or even two to be "outliers" and not representative of the general trend/cost.

From every thing I have seen you can still get a very large discount off the general "MSRP" which in itself is a questionable number.

Larry

* This post was edited 01/26/13 06:40am by LarryJM *

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Trailer price quotes- big variance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS