|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Trailer price quotes- big variance

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 06:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when bought our leisure travel van I asked four dealers for there out the door price got four prices all over the place on the lowest bid I called them on the phone talked with some one who could say yes or no ,not a salesman who runs back and forth asking question, I QUOTED HIM MY OFFER ,said he,s call back ,about 15teen min we had a deal. had to fly to alabama but it was in my price. story id forget about sticker make the offer you want to pay.

BillB800si

S.E. MICHIGAN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

quote=LarryJM
Well since you failed to give us any details to base any comments on your post is not very informative. There will always be exceptions and if you ask for enough quotes I would not find it unusual for one or even two to be "outliers" and not representative of the general trend/cost.From every thing I have seen you can still get a very large discount off the general "MSRP" which in itself is a questionable number.Larry/quote
==================================

Larry, the purpose of my original post was to make the public aware of the great variance of quoted prices for new RV's. Not necessarily trying to be specific. For your benefit here's some "details".
Michigan authorized Denali dealer. Quoted price $36,265...
Indiana authorized Denali dealer.. Quoted price $28,980..

For identical trailers with identical options. Both within easy driving distance from my house. Neither quote included transportation charges from plant to dealer.

Bill B. (Michigan)
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 MegaCab CTD
2014 Keystone Cougar High Country 321RES trailer

BillB800si

S.E. MICHIGAN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 07:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

when bought our leisure travel van I asked four dealers for there out the door price got four prices all over the place on the lowest bid I called them on the phone talked with some one who could say yes or no ,not a salesman who runs back and forth asking question, I QUOTED HIM MY OFFER ,said he,s call back ,about 15teen min we had a deal. had to fly to alabama but it was in my price. story id forget about sticker make the offer you want to pay.

==============================
What you say is true to a certain extent. MSRP is a yardstick to judge net prices against. All authorized dealers I've worked with post MSRP prices for their salespeople. While in a dealership obtaining a quote you'll notice a salesperson will leave you and get the final price okay from their manager. The manager is the one with the magical discount pen and writes down what they will sell it to you for.
In regard to your "offer" I think that's a very good idea. A short time ago I was trying to get a Jayco Eagle 330RLTS trailer ( new 2 year old- no longer made)and the salesperson quoted $33,000. I countered with %28,000. He countered with it's still new and was worth it. My final offer was, if you change your mind please call me.

Happy trails,

md2lgyk

WV

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you planning to trade in your current trailer, or sell it yourself? Trade-in valuation throws a whole other layer of insanity into the mix. A couple of years ago, we traded in our 2007 Dutchmen for a smaller 2010 Jayco. Without even seeing the Dutchmen, the dealer offered about $2500 less for it than we paid new. And we had full-timed in it for over two years! A few days later, it was on his website, for a price that was more than we paid new.

"The great object is, that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun." - Patrick Henry

BillB800si

S.E. MICHIGAN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

md2lgyk wrote:

Are you planning to trade in your current trailer, or sell it yourself? Trade-in valuation throws a whole other layer of insanity into the mix.

================================

You bring up a good point.
Quoted prices were cash not with a trade in. I wanted to know what the actual price would be for a new unit without trades.

joeprinter

Fayetteville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2012 Georgetown, was up to 25K different depending where you looked. So I took the cheapest an bought the closest, had the sales match the offer.

"2012 Forest River 360 DS"
"Ford V-10"
"2013 Toyota Corolla on Tow Dolly"

BigBoy11

Chambersburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In case anyone reads about RV sales of all classes and types, they are at the highest levels in 6 years! Supply and demand, Sales are up, inventories are down and prices have risen. My 2012 Kodiak bought new in Nov., 2011 is now $5 to $8 thousand more currently at the same dealers I shopped then.

Halmfamily

Munford, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 07:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got our f'ver in August for $18,000 off MSRP and it was a 2013 model. I got several quota from around the country and took to my local dealer and they came within $1000 of the lowest quote. I will always try to buy local, when warranty work is needed much easier to get at the dealer you purchased from. Also, if buying an extended warranty negotiate that also. We purchased a seven year bumper to bumper warranty for $1200 after their first offer was over $3250. If the dealer is hungry they will negotiate.

2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, DD Jasmine, Furry Draco

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Trailer price quotes- big variance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts