|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Black Water Tank Hardware

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
CarolineGates

Bandon, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2010 Cougar which replaced a 14 yr old Alfa. Never had this problem with the Alfa.

Went to empty the black water tank and nothing came out. Both gray waters are left open all the time and are draining just fine.

Apparently the gadget you pull for the black water to drain it is broken. It is very wobbly and has no resistance when I pull it out.

I do keep black water shut until I open it when it is full.

It has been my thought lately that it is not draining properly.

It will cost an arm and a leg to have this thing (what is it called?) replaced, and whoever does it will charge me $188 just to pull up in front of the RV. I am 30 miles from a repair shop, they drive here.

Is there anything I need to know to protect myself since I don't believe a word these people say and I always watch the repairs (I have even helped with them with their approval)

Do these gadgets run from cheap to best? Just tell me what your experience is and what you might recommend to be sure it doesn't happen again for a long time. It might be something is unhooked or unattached. Should I let them reattach if that is the case. I am more inclined to get a new one.

Also, should I put some water in the black tank and/or run the cleanout house before the guy leaves? Lately the tank seems like it fills up faster than it should.

I can still use gray waters. I have a bathroom close by, just don't like to go out there at night and walk into a cold RV park bathroom.

Thanks

newman fulltimer

louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

change the valve yourself 30 bucks four screws

azbohunter

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't have to drop the bottom skin, it is not a big deal but if it is full you will have a dirty job!
I am thinking that because you stated " It is very wobbly and has no resistance when I pull it out." leads me to believe that it probably is concealed and you are just wiggling the handle.

2006 Dodge Quad Cab Cummins 5.9 Automatic 4x4
2002 28RKD Lakota fifth wheel
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger
16'Lund w/50HP Merc tiller
A great wife who loves to travel and fish
I love to archery hunt/she joins me and cooks!

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 08:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please clarify!
Are the valves hidden by a belly cloth?
Does the shaft of the valve go straight into the valve or is there an extension on it?
If it goes straight into the valve, you can drill a hole in the valve on the opposite side a push the valve open. You can drain the tank. Then get a new valve when you go to town. Four bolts hold the valve in place between two flanges.
If it does not go straight into the valve the extension rod may have come off.
If it is cable operated the cable could be broke or came off the valve.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

CarolineGates

Bandon, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 09:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, folks. I am not proficient about these things!

It has a handle that says Black Water on it. You keep it pushed in and the black water tank fills up until you pull the handle. I don't know about any of the other things you are mentioning.

Our RV park has some of these for sale, but I have no clue how it is attached inside. There is gray felt all around it (it sticks through a hole)and the felt appears to be glued down.

Obviously there has to be access to it, and underneath the bay there is a metal piece that is screwed down. That might be the access.

I really do not want to try to fix this myself. It could be a disaster. I hope that I am smart enough to know that.

I think what happened is the pull came loose. That is just a guess, and it hasn't been draining all the way for the last few times I pulled the lever.

CREATO

Beautiful Harvey N.D.

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 09:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would pull the belly down and pull the valves shaft with a plier if it is unhooked from the Handel regardless you should be able to open the valve. Once dumped and flushed replacement is straight forward you really can't screw it up.

I dont rent out space in my brain

CarolineGates

Bandon, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is windy and rainy here on the So Oregon Coast. I went out with flashlight and pulled at a corner of the gray felt and it lifted up in the area of this lever but not along the wall the lever goes through a hole to who-knows-where. I don't see anything that is an opening I can access this through, BUT

Underneath is the metal panel I mentioned before, but it goes several feet under and is moon-shaped below my second propane tank. I can see back behind where the gray and black rods pass through the holes I mentioned, then they disappear into yet another wall. So it appears that under the belly of the RV there is more paneling with more screws that gives access to where the rod disappears.

I have done a lot of maintenance on my old Alfa which I don't own now over the years, I have replaced lost sheet metal screws, I have recaulked the entire rig, I have unscrewed many things to see what is behind or under them, so tomorrow I will drag my 71 yr old body under there and undo a few screws to see what I can see. Not easy for someone with two knee replacements, but that is why I had them--to make things easier

BIG QUESTION: Is it possible to show photos on these forums? If not, why not? Through the image icon? I have never seen any pics, that is why I ask. Thanks!

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 04:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my tanks the rods screw on to the valve.I learned to always turn the handle to tighten it before I pull them. Won't help you now if they are unhooked,but maybe in the future.

Other half is camping with the angels,Riding alone for now.

2008 3500 Dodge Ram CTD dually 4X4 SOLD
2007 Gulfstream Endura Max 40 SOLD
2001 Polaris Ranger 4X4 SOLD
Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Mod Pics

Pipeman

Windsor, Ontario,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 05:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have either cables or a rod that goes to the valve. It sounds like it has come loose. This past summer I was told it was the valve that was bad. When we got home from a 7100 mile trip I took it to my dealer and they found it was the cable that was bad. It was replaced along with a grey water cable. If you are so inclined check to see if your handles are held to the body via a piece of angle iron. It would be small. You can then undo the nut that holds the cable/rod in place. When you have it loose pull on it a bit to see whether or not it is a cable or a rod. If it is a rod you just might be able to push it in far enough to screw it back onto the valve. My trailer belly is enclosed so it's not a whole lot of fun. Good luck to you and maybe the repairman will be half decent.

Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

joeprinter

Fayetteville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could also be the plug (punched out hole in tank) that wasnt pulled out of new tank at factory. I have seen this many times.. gets stuck in valve.

"2012 Forest River 360 DS"
"Ford V-10"
"2013 Toyota Corolla on Tow Dolly"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Black Water Tank Hardware
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts