|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> roof repairs and cover

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Cajun Bill

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did a forum search and found some info, but I am looking for more current info. Have finally decided that I need to provide some type of cover for my fiver. I've had it for about four years (bought it used) and love it, but the rubber roof is starting to chalk and turn black and, worst of all, starting to leak around the skylights, vents, etc. I park it on concrete, but with no cover. I had a couple of leaks fixed last year and that was okay, but now I have more leaks and I'm starting to find soft spots in different areas. I've found a reputable RV place that will coat the roof area, after fixing the soft spots with plywood replacement, with an liquid roofing material that appears to be really good stuff, but if I do that, I want to protect it further. I looked into the possibility of having a structure built but that was cost prohibitive so I'm looking into buying a "universal" cover that I know will probably only last 2=3 years. Any recommendations as to manufacturer?

danoren

Where ever I Camp

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 03:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All you need is a cover that "breaths" and fits.
Tie it down so it will not stroke the trailer when it is windy.

F-350 ,2006,XLT,SD,LB,EC,6.0LT,Auto,SRW.
5W Cruiser 2006 CF29CK Crossroad
RVing 4-5 months every summer since 2002.
P.A,Good Sam,TomTom GO720
Website

Jim-Linda

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill, if you are going to have your roof coated with EPDM material, you should end up with a "like new" roof. FWIW, our trailer is 14 years old, we fulltime, so no cover and roof appears to be ok for another couple of years.
I will do the coating routine later this year, but not because of leaks, etc.

Jim

Cajun Bill

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 11:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Found this at Wallyworld. Looks like a good one and has a four year warranty. Anyone have experience with this brand?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Classic-Accessories-PermaPro-5th-Wheel-Cover/21295392?findingMethod=RecommendationmecentlyViewedItems

tx racer 67

Greenville Tx

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 10:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a cover built last april.Cost 3.000 dollars,best money we have spent on the rv.

03 chevy
05 cruiser
67 camaro

Cobra21

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I googled RV cover 2 years ago. I bought the cheapest one I could
with the 5 year warranty. Most come with a 3 or 5 year. Ours came from California and I am very happy with it. Don't remember the name of
the place though.
Brian

wkswenson

USA - MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had the dealer through in the Adco RV Designer Cover and like it's performance so far. Has weathered New England snow, rain, ice and wind with no problems and the strap system works well. We have the zippers at the door so we can still go in/out of the rig as needed.

Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
RETIRED: 2002 F350 Crew Cab, DRW, 7.3L, Curt Q24K
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

Cajun Bill

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/13 12:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just put my fiver in the "hospital" to get the roof resurfaced. Not a new rubber roof, but a coating with what appears to be a very good product from what I can tell. Hoping that with that and a cover to keep the sun off it, this will last a few more years until I have to get a new rubber roof. The repair shop will also repair a few soft spots, lift the ac off the roof and coat under it and put a new gasket. Here's my question, does anyone know what the factory uses to seal vents, skylights,, etc. The Dicor, which I have been told is the best to use, eventually contracts and expands and eventually develops cracks, but the "gray stuff" that comes from the factory appears to be very sturdy even after all these years. Even the repair shop doesn't know what that product is? I've tried Eternabond, Dicor, etc., but nothing seems to last. Just wondering if the factory product can be purchased at retail somewhere?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> roof repairs and cover
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS