|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> water softeners

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
den60

Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone have any knowledge about the "On The Go" portable water softener? I am wondering about the one from Camping World. It uses regular table salt (2-26oz containers) and softens 1600 gal and last around 40 days. I know all that depends on how much water I use and how hard the water is. Does anyone know if they work as good as they say? I have seen people using them especially in Arizona and I know the water is hard there. They are pretty pricey but would be worth it if they work like they say and last for a few years. Thank you

2005 Newmar Northern Star 40'
350 Cat, Allison Trans
2000 Honda CR-V Toad

blkdodge

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am also interested in peoples thoughts.

2012 Dodge 3500 DRW/2012 Heartland Landmark San Antonio.

sure2rain

Sunbury, PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have this unit RV-Pro 10,000 It works well and is easy to regenerate using table salt.

TV: 05 Chevy 2500 8.1L
5er: 2010 Open Range 385RLS
Hensley Arrow and P3

dbbls

Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 09:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are on a low salt diet you would be better off without one. Sodium replaces the hard water ions in the water.

2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 09:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dbbls wrote:

If you are on a low salt diet you would be better off without one. Sodium replaces the hard water ions in the water.

in that case you can recharge with potasium chloride, unless you are also on a low potasium diet. Little harder to find and more expensive but will work just as well.

Or use bottled water for drinking and cooking.

* This post was edited 01/25/13 09:38pm by ktmrfs *

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

missourijan

Carson City until December

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are in Tucson and just got the RV Pro 10,000, it was easy to hook up and made a huge difference in the water right away. Love it and will use it when we return to CA. We ordered it from Tweety's $203. Well worth it

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 09:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we have a waterstik portable water softener, uses the same system as the on the go, recharges with table salt, however it is much lower grain capacity than the on the go. Works well for us, since most places we go don't have that hard of water. However, when we were in southern Utah, water was as hard as nails, and the waterstick did fine, but only did about 120 gallons before recharge. if we were mostly in areas like that the bigger unit would probably be on our list.

I doubt the unit you mention would do 1600 gallons in Arizona, if you know the hardness in grains, it's easy to figure. total grains/hardness= gallons of soft water.

Having grown up with soft water, the water softener is more than nice, it is a necessity. No soap scum in the shower, easy to get lathered up in the shower, clothes get clean, no ring or scum in the sink. yup, they are worth it IMHO.

SCVJeff

Santa Clarita, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 09:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got the On The Go and fill the RV through it at the house. The water is WAY softer than what goes in. As hard as the water at home is, there ain't no way I could get 1600 gallons out of it. Regardless of claims, I don't think one softner is demonstrably better than another of equal size though. It's just a tank with a filter to keep from washing the resin out. A given amount of resin will process (X)gallons of water through the tank IMO.

Go for the one you like, they're probably all the same in performance.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 05:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my BIL had the blue one from camping world and seemed to like it.
bumpy

den60

Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for all the responses. One thing I should have said was that the "On The Go" softener is capable of softening up to 1600 gal of water. I do have to agree with you all though, I doubt I would ever get that many. I do need to learn how to determine the formula for regenerating and adding more salt. If I understand correctly, you take the size of your unit, (in this case 1600) and divide it by the hardness of the water. Sounds easy enough. Now to decide which one to get. I looked up the RV Pro 10,000 and that is the one I see the most in the CG's. The price is much better also. 203.00 for the "RV Pro" and 389.00 for the "On The Go". Kind of a no brainer huh? I will do a little more research and get one coming. The fact that it will help to extend the life of my water filters, washing machine, hot water heater and everything in between, makes it well worth it. Thanks everyone!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> water softeners
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS