|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New guy Camper size for truck

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mattiedale

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 12:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I have a Ford 7.3L power stroke F250 crew cab short box with air bags. Im looking at a 2008 Lance model 861 (short box) camper Dry weight is 3070lb. I like the camper but I'm wondering if its to heavy for my F250. Looking at other posts. It looks like I should add about 1000lb for actual wet/cargo weight. That would put me at 4070lb. I was wondering if you guy's could chime in on this decision. I have never had a camper before so any advice would help!

Thanks!!

jamminalong

Pacific Northwest, Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 12:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think 4000 lbs puts you in one ton territory but that's me and my comfort zone.

98 Lance Squire
00 Chevy 2500HD 4x4

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 01:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

7.3L crewcab curb weight will be around 7,500 pounds, and only has a 8,800 pound GVWR, so your cargo is limited to about 1,000 pounds, if you have 300 pounds of passengers. Yet if you have 4 wheel drive, that makes the curb weight 400 pounds more, so 600 pounds cargo rating. Not much, when you are considering a camper.

If you really like the 7.3L noise, then pick a dually, at least back then the GVWR was just above 11,000 pounds, enough for the camper in question. By 2005, the diesel was not worth as much, but GVWR of a F-250 crewcab was a decent 10,000 pounds, with a cargo rating around 3,000 pounds.

Actually if I was looking for a dually truck with a 7.3 to carry a camper, I would look for the early Super Duty or F-450 truck, even if it is a flatbed or tool box body, then modify it to fit the correct bed size to accommodate the camper in question, you will have plenty of storage too.

Fred.

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 04:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a dry weight 3270 lb. (hahaha) Lance 1121 on a 7.3 CC dually. Ready to camp, I'm right at 11,200 lbs.(GVWR). Countin' toothpicks. We got Ranchos, airbags, sway bars... you name it. The worst advice I could give you would be to put a 3070 lb. (dry weight) camper on a 7.3 F-250 diesel crew cab

RVn Full-time

usmcshepherd

Commerce City, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 02:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mattiedale...I had almost the exact smae rig you had and it worked perfectly. I had a 2002 F-250 (7.3 powerstroke), 4x4, but mine had a lift on it 6". The truck I had purchased this way before I got the camper...if I was starting out I would not lift a truck as it places the center of gravity to high. Additionlly the suspension lift wasn't designed to carry that kin dof weight in the bed of the truck....but regardless it worked fine! I had air bags (as I hadn't learned about Timbrens or SuperSprings, but those in combination with torklift stableloads worked fine. I crossed the country four different times from Louisiana to CA and back without issue and that 7.3 had almost 200k miles on it. Best engine Ford ever put in their trucks IMHO!

Anyway, you've got plenty of power. Honestly, I would probably start with the stable loads and see how they do....I think I might have been fine if I woudldn't of had the lift on my truck. Additionally, I was camping with my wife and four children ranging from 2-16 and we loved it.

The one thing I would consider before you get into this is your long term situation. If you have a growing fmaily or think you might want to stay in your TC for any kind of extended time period I would think before you leap. Meaning, if you are even going to consider a new truck, be sure you want a short bed camper....we are moving up to a 11ft camper because we loved our TC so much and want to be able to stay out longer (as well as the wife wants a dry bath). Shortbeds are limited...so just something to consider. If you don't mind a wet bath, and don't plan on taking extended trips, especially with more than just two folks than I would say you've got a great setup. We actually went to a 5th wheel and regret we did...as soon as I get back from Afghanistan we are going back to a Lance ....which this time will be a longbed version as I've since upgraded to a 2011 Dodge 3500 dually so I can carry any camper I want (within reason) now. I can send pics of our F-250/Lance 861 once I get back to my personal laptop if you'd like to see the setup.

2011 Ram 3500 / 2013 Lance 1172
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC

broncobran68

The desert

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 03:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why does everyone recommend an F-350? Aren't they exactly the same as an F-250 but with different badges and 2" taller rear lift blocks? They're both going to be over GVWR and require some mods so why does it matter which one you start with?

The dually thing I can understand.

handye9

Park City, IL 60085

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 06:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

broncobran68 wrote:

Why does everyone recommend an F-350? Aren't they exactly the same as an F-250 but with different badges and 2" taller rear lift blocks? They're both going to be over GVWR and require some mods so why does it matter which one you start with?

I think it's a marketing thing.

You are correct in the 250's and SRW 350's being basically the same. Same engines, transmissions, frames, brakes, tires, axles, and suspensions. Only exceptions are badges, lift blocks, maybe an extra spring leaf, and the door post sticker that says the 350 has a higher GVWR.

Check out my mods

08 F250 Crewcab,4X4, SB
5.4, 4.10 gears
Flowmaster exhaust, SCT tuner
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS (TT) and 00 Maverick 8801 (TC)
Wife and I
USN MCPO (E9) Retired (active duty 1974 - 1995)

narcodog

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden_HVAC wrote:

7.3L crewcab curb weight will be around 7,500 pounds, and only has a 8,800 pound GVWR, so your cargo is limited to about 1,000 pounds, if you have 300 pounds of passengers. Yet if you have 4 wheel drive, that makes the curb weight 400 pounds more, so 600 pounds cargo rating. Not much, when you are considering a camper.

If you really like the 7.3L noise, then pick a dually, at least back then the GVWR was just above 11,000 pounds, enough for the camper in question. By 2005, the diesel was not worth as much, but GVWR of a F-250 crewcab was a decent 10,000 pounds, with a cargo rating around 3,000 pounds.

Actually if I was looking for a dually truck with a 7.3 to carry a camper, I would look for the early Super Duty or F-450 truck, even if it is a flatbed or tool box body, then modify it to fit the correct bed size to accommodate the camper in question, you will have plenty of storage too.

Fred.

If I read the OP correctly he already has a truck...

gerrym51

unknown

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 08:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

broncobran68 wrote:

f-350 is set as one ton. the newer f450 is the same as current f350( ihave no idea why).

SD2013

Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The reason F350's come up up so often is that there are more combinations of bed length, cab style, engine type, 4x4 vs 4x2, SRW vs DRW to choose from than on the F250 (SRW only) or the F450 (DRW, Crew Cab, Diesel only).

Load capacity is everything for hauling truck campers and different combinations of the above options will determine that. For example:

2013 F250 XL, Diesel, Crew cab, 4X4, 8 foot bed = 2410 load cap

2013 F350 XL, Diesel, Crew Cab, 4X4, 8 foot bed = 3789 load cap

If you add DRW to that same F350 its 5930 load cap

Keep the DRW and switch to a gas engine and its 6680 load cap

Keep the DRW with a gas engine and reg cab and its 7090 load cap

Remember the F450 only has one combination, Crew Cab, DRW and diesel engine. Load cap is 5880

So you can get the highest load capacities with the F350. If you want to play with those numbers go to the Ford "build your own" page

http://bp3.ford.com/2013-Ford-SuperDuty?branding=1&lang=en#/ChooseYourPath/

2012 F350 Supercab, 4x4, 6.2L, DRW, 4.30 axle, slide in camper package, 13,300 GVWR. Custom Reading service body, Torklift tie-downs, Fastguns, Stable Loads. AF 1150, wet bath, solar

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New guy Camper size for truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS