RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Escapees .... AND PA, Good Sam, TT or any others?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Escapees .... AND PA, Good Sam, TT or any others?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
thesmiths88

UK

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 02:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi there .... we will be members of Escapees, but do you recommend getting any others too? We will be mainly travelling the Western States (at least to start with).

Thanks!

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 03:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a working full timer in traveling sales. Thus, my habits and needs will be different from many. Since I usually move often, every week or two, my preference is for government (public) parks where I enjoy a more natural ambiance and lower daily rates than commercial RV parks. I have the "geezer" pass which gives me 1/2 price camping at most federal government parks.

Occasionally, I'll spend a month in an area. Then the commercial parks' monthly rate is generally cheaper than the public parks' daily rate. Plus, I'll get additional amenities at the commercial parks, such as sewer hookup, cable TV, WiFi, and access to laundry facilities. Passport America, with the 1/2 price camping, has provided a nice savings over the years at participating campgrounds. Recognize, there are restrictions and generally the discount is for Mon-Thurs. Information can be found on their website. PA parks are good for a one or two night stop between destinations.

RVn Full-time

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought and paid for them all when I first started out and used none of them.

The ones with the biggest discounts have the biggest restrictions. Certain days, certain months only if you stay one day, etc. etc.
GS-many CG's dropped this discount but still sport the logo. Or you get there and they tell you that the discount is 'already' in the rate.

Unless you plan in advance and make that one particular CG your destination and fulfill all their restrictions they are IMHO of no use when traveling.

That said. Escapees is great! And I DO highly recommend getting the GS ERS. Emergency Roadside Service. Which you CAN purchase independently of paying for their GS Club membership which will only net you a mailbox filled with junk mail!

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

NCWriter

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 05:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We joined PA this year based on recommendation from friends. I know it will pay for itself. In fact, just this week, we needed a site on short notice in a very desirable area in prime season, and found a PA park that gets good reviews willing to give us half price. So we are saving $35.

Just be aware some PA parks have restrictions on which months or days of the week you can use it. They also may place you in a less prime section (not waterfront, for example, or near the road.) Understandable, and everyone's happy.

2006 Leisure Travel Van Free Spirit Sprinter

thesmiths88

UK

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 06:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you :-)

WoodGlue

Los Angeles / Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 03:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thesmiths88 wrote:

Hi there .... we will be members of Escapees, but do you recommend getting any others too? We will be mainly travelling the Western States (at least to start with).

Thanks!

I've heard that with PA that you'll earn your output money back within something like 3-4 night stay. Your mileage may vary!

WoodGlue

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you use what the club has to offer, it is a good deal (usually).
If you do not or can not use what the club has to offer, it is a waste of money.(usually)
I joined the KOA club, because the week we spent at the Chattanooga South park more than paid for the membership. I probably won't renew this year, though, because we usually spend one or two nights a year in a KOA. The membership isn't worth it under those circumstances.
That's why I don't belong to any other clubs. It just isn't worth it for us.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

LewBob

Lebanon, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Right now we are in southwest Texas, soon to be driving to southern Arizona and California. I thought we might save by joining PA, but after researching a bit, I found that few if any of the Arizona members give the discount during winter "snowbird" months, even for one-nighters. No point.

Lew
2011 Arctic Fox 22H
2012 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 EcoBoost
"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." --Bob Seger (Against the Wind)

path1

Wa State (wet side)

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Escapees is a great organization but certain parts of the year it can be tough to get in. Supply and demand type thing. It gets tougher the bigger rig you have. Read peoples blogs and you'll soon get a feel of what they do.

1990 37 ft King of the road 5th wheel. Great carpentry, summer home
1997 33 ft Holiday Rambler, Never again will a new RV come into this family
2003 25 ft Majestic M/H, Old RV rental Best travel machine we've ever owned.

doxiemom11

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 11:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have passport american and good sams. When traveling we look for the pa 1/2 price parks first - if none in area then look at good sam parks for 10% discount. If you won't move around much then neither would be beneficial to you.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Escapees .... AND PA, Good Sam, TT or any others?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS