RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Need Help - Where would I get a custom headboard made?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Need Help - Where would I get a custom headboard made?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mremdal33

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I couldnt find any other forum to post this in. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I came across this interesting headboard idea and I want to get it made but I cant for the life of me figure out who I would talk to. I already contacted an upholstery company and they wont do it. I found a window treatment business and they wanted $400+ for it which I think is nuts. I am thinking about going to the local high school and getting the home economics class to take a stab at it?

Any other ideas?

Link to RV Headboard/Blind Idea

newman fulltimer

louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

local highschool it will cost you materials and a little for the builder

Poppy & Nana

Upstate New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try your local senior center - see if they have any quilters or sewers. We have a group of ladies (& gents) who meet every Friday at our local volunteer fire department they knit and crochet....you should see what they do for gifts for the needy @ Christmas time!

Or try your local craft store (Michael's - JoAnn Fabrics).....go during one of their teaching classes and see if anyone would like to take on a project.

By the way it is a nice idea!

Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks

2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
2008 - Ford F250 Super Crew 4x4

nohurry

Orting, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like something a quilting group could do pretty easily. Then you could use a curtain rod to hang it. Try googling for quilt clubs in your area, or some church ladies groups do quilting and might do it for a nice donation. You could show the picture at a fabric store also I bet they would know someone that could do it. Good luck.

Carl
2013 F250 6.2
2011 Jayco 256RKS
Co-pilot-Sharon
Navigators-Missy, and Petey (chihuahuas)

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 07:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another option would be, contact a local senior center. They oftem make quilts and other sewing type projects.
They would probably be happy to make one for you. Just furnish the materials and gave them a donation when the project is finished.

troll3193

SouthWest, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 07:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sew as a hobby and depending what you wanted it made of materials alone could be $50 or more. Plus a day to put it together.. I am thinking $400 is about right.

That is why sweatshops exist.... Cool idea, thanks for sharing the picture.

Bryan

2006 RAM 3500 MegaCab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel
Mopar Exhaust Brake
2004 Dutchemen 31BK

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mremdal33 wrote:

I couldnt find any other forum to post this in. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I came across this interesting headboard idea and I want to get it made but I cant for the life of me figure out who I would talk to. I already contacted an upholstery company and they wont do it. I found a window treatment business and they wanted $400+ for it which I think is nuts. I am thinking about going to the local high school and getting the home economics class to take a stab at it?

Any other ideas?

Link to RV Headboard/Blind Idea

I know someone who runs a drapery shop, and might be able to make something like that on their heavy duty sewing machines. For what it's worth, a cost of $400 is not all that out of line, considering the cost to buy the materials, and time in labor. They can not slap it together and not take time to make the seams look straight, and neat, so it is a little more difficult to make it "Look" good than one would guess.

Just like two floor tile jobs, one professionally installed, with perfectly straight grout lines, and another with the tiles lining up a little crooked, you can tell who had it done, and who was the first time tile person.

If this sort of job came to their drapery shop, they would estimate the amount of material, get a cost per yard for the cover, padding, and in the case of your picture red thread (white would look really bad) and then figure how many feet of sewing needs to take place. Just like making drapes, if it takes 200' of sewing to attach the panels together, they can figure how many hours assembly will take.

Here is your picture.

So if you can have it made for $175, that is a great price. Now if you wanted to make say 200 of them, and approached a blanket maker, I am sure the price would go way down, say to something comparable with a USA made quilt that is custom made. But they are not going to set up a machine to make a one off product, the set up time is going to cost a bunch, not to mention the machine will be off line for 4 hours while being programmed, and then need another hour to be reprogrammed to start making the standard blankets once your run is completed.

At one time, I had a Quillow, a blanket that if you folded it in 1/3, and then roll it up into the pocket at one end, it made into a compact pillow, but unfolds into a quilt with a pocket at one end to put your feet and keep them cozy warm. Cost was about $35 back in the 90's.

Fred.

Mremdal33

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I never considered the senior center or quilting clubs. Just for kicks what kind of material should I have it made out of. What gives it rigidity?

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The material would be your choice, whatever you like.
I don't know but, I would guess it has a foam board inside to keep it rigid and light.

craftyfox

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just looks like 2 pieces of material with a piece of high loft batting in the middle..just a small quilt with loops. Can't see where it could cost anywhere near $175 let alone $400 to make yourself. I wouldn't think there was any more rigidity than a quilt would have. You could use a canvas or a upholstery material to give it a little more weight. As long as a person could sew straight line on a regular sewing machine it would be easy.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Need Help - Where would I get a custom headboard made?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS