RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Finally!!!!! New Class A!!!!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Finally!!!!! New Class A!!!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
TugCamp

Long Beach, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/13 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe I joined the Forum about 10 years ago after buying my first travel trailer off my neighbor...what a ride this RV thing has been...Travel trailer, pick-up trucks, 5th wheel trailer, another pick-up...well now I truly feel I've made the "varsity squad" lol...Last night I picked up a new 2012 Winnebago Vista!!! 33' with 2 slids and bunks the model is 32K. Im like a happy little kid right now!!! Overall the walk-through went well, only 2 minor issues with the wall paper everything else was great and considering I took the advice going with the Class A over the Class C I think its drives very very well. I have one issue I need some help with, its the electric step. Im going to be backing the MH up a narrow driveway for storage, Im know im going to have an issue with the step coming out. Even if I turn the step off it stays in the open position and I dont have the clearance, it will hit the side of my house. Is there a work-around or a bypass to completely turn the step off? Im sure I could install a simple toggle switch but before I got into that I want to make sure there isnt another way? Thanks again from a happy camper...lol

* This post was edited 01/30/13 10:29am by TugCamp *

2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
F53 V10
2007 Chaparral 20SSi
Camping wife and 2 boys 11 and 6

newman fulltimer

louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/13 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now you went and done now everybody is going to say you should have bought the other one congrates

bullydogs1

OBX, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/13 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on the magnetic setup..you could get a magnet and have it positioned so that it thinks the door is closed..thus no step out...If step runs off of coach batteries rather than chassis batteries..you could have step in. hit battery disconnect and then it won't come out either...congrats on the new ride..

Stuart and Stella Denning
2009 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Sierra,Daisy and Sylvie)
2007 Saturn Vue (TOAD)

I tawt I taw a puddy tat

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/13 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not worry about the step hitting the house as the motor shuts off when the motor gets overloaded, not because it's all the way out.
Congrats on the new ride.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

Jim@HiTek

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/13 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Along with the other advice, I'd add that in my rig, there are two switches. One on the dash, and one by the door. I can set it up so that my steps won't extend when I open the door. You may have the same setup, but it's confusing where to set which switch so I won't try to mislead you.

What I usually do is just press the main battery disconnect switch over the door and the steps stay closed.

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Fleetwood Bounder, '94
Cummins Diesel, 190HP, 36.5' with 50HP LP boost.
Black Rock Lava Park, Nevada

barlow46

Edgewater, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/13 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim@HiTek wrote:

Along with the other advice, I'd add that in my rig, there are two switches. One on the dash, and one by the door. I can set it up so that my steps won't extend when I open the door. You may have the same setup, but it's confusing where to set which switch so I won't try to mislead you.

What I usually do is just press the main battery disconnect switch over the door and the steps stay closed.

Jim,
Have you ever forgotten which position the switch is in and walked out the door in a hurry or in the dark.......and no step?

2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' ISL 400; Tag Axle; Residential Refrig (sold)
2004 F450, 6.0 auto, 4:30 pumpkin; BrakeSmart; 50 gal aux.tank, 01 HR Presidential 35CKS, 3 slides, axles flipped; TrailAir Pinbox. pin weight 2760. Total gross 24,060 lbs.

tommy salmon

Shallowater, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/13 01:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you maybe just pull a fuse out?

2013 Winnebago Vista 35F
2004 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Harley Davidson Road King Police
Gorgeous Wife, 4 kids (2 out of the nest), 18 Foster kids, Retired State Trooper/Former US Marine.

Jim@HiTek

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/13 01:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

barlow46 wrote:

Jim@HiTek wrote:

Jim,
Have you ever forgotten which position the switch is in and walked out the door in a hurry or in the dark.......and no step?

Yes, once. That was not fun. But I understand why the manufacturer thought it was a good idea to have that capability. It's to prevent situations like the OP's from damaging the steps, and it's for situations where you might be lifting something into the house and need the steps out of the way, or it's for inspecting the step assembly while closed, etc.

I believe, because of the few deaths that have been associated with that feature, that newer RV's did away with it. Those you have to switch off the chassis power to prevent operation. Some others require the chassis battery to be disconnected.

TugCamp

Long Beach, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/13 01:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just got it home last night, didnt get much time to play with. Ill take a look today and try and figure something out. Thanks for everyones help!!!

jlrobison2

oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/13 01:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the steep is going to run into the house ,how are you going to get the door open enough to get out ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Finally!!!!! New Class A!!!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS