RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Level before or after slides are out?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Level before or after slides are out?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
memgrove

Elkhart In

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/13 10:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are not new to trailering but have just brought home a new trailer with two slides. When we backed the new trailer into the drive and got her level then put the slides out she tipped to the left a good 3 or 4 inches I bet. I had set the power stabilizers before I put the slides out and was leaning badly to the left after. I wonder if I need to "pre load or off set" to the right before setting the stabilizers then put the slides out and have it come back to level. Please tell me how you keep yours level.

Thanks, MIke

Mike
2006 Chevy 2500 4X4 crew cab Gasser
2013 Dutchmen Denali 311 BHS (Love the trailer HATE the manufacture!)

WoodGlue

Los Angeles / Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/13 11:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 1 slide, so I level before I put it out. However you have 2 slides so I'd think you'd be better off putting them out then leveling (if the slides are on the same side)

Just my two cents,

WoodGlue

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/13 01:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't understand how with TT level side to side (blocks under low side etc.), stabilizers down/set snug and then have slides go out and rig tilt.

Interesting???

Slides are self supporting & operate with less stress when rig is level.

I have three slides.
Large heavy slide (pantry/entertainment center/dining table chairs) that doesn't affect side to side level
Nor do the other two (Sofa sleeper & queen bed)

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

dalenoel

S.E. Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/13 04:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always level, blocks under the wheels, before extending the slides. Depending on the terrain I will have the left, heavy, a little high before the slides go out but only if I think the stabilizers are going to sink into the ground.

One thing to remember is they are 'stabilizers' and not 'jacks'. They are to just stabilize the unit while leveling is done with boards under the wheels.

04 Dodge RAM Quad Crew Cab 4x4
08 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS, Hensley Arrow, Prodigy Controller
Wife and myself, Lutheran Deacon, Oreo the Malshi, and maybe a grandkid or two
Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log

danoren

Where ever I Camp

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/13 01:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 3 slides and always level before opening the slides,if the trailer is not leveled it will be putting stress on the slides to open.
My 2c

F-350 ,2006,XLT,SD,LB,EC,6.0LT,Auto,SRW.
5W Cruiser 2006 CF29CK Crossroad
RVing 4-5 months every summer since 2002.
P.A,Escapee club memeber,TomTom GO720
Website

WoodGlue

Los Angeles / Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/13 02:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah Old-Biscuit,

Doesn't make sense to me either, having your low side blocked by the slides while trying to level the tires. But they're having trouble so that's why I suggested that way.

WoodGlue

Bob Landry

Austin, texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/13 05:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The slides represent a lot of weight and a lot of leverage on the trailer. I level so that the slide side(I have two) is about a quarter bubble high. When I extend the slides, it levels out. Also, I usually have to go back and readjust the curb-side stabilizer after I extend the slides. I guess all trailers are different and you should try it both ways and stick with what works best for you. I also like to have the slide side end up slightly lower so that the air conditioner run-off is on the back side instead of the front where we are always walking

2011 Tundra 5.7L
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/13 05:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have to level, then put the stabilizers down then put the slides out. the stabs will keep the trailer from tilting out of level. if the trailer is going out of level with the stabs down then you have a big problem!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 13yrs
Daughter Marissa 12yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam, Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

mguay

Northern NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/13 06:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both my slides are on the street side. Since it was new, if I set it perfectly level and then put slides out, it will lean to the street side. I was told this was normal as that side of the coach carries more weight and then when it is hanging out, there is more leverage for it to tilt a bit. When setting up, I lean it to the curb a bit so it is either level or still leaning to the curb. We like the head of our bed in the slide a bit higher than our feet.

2013 GMC 3500 HD Denali CC LB DRW MAX/ALLY
2010 Keystone Laredo 316RL

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/13 06:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, read your manual if you have one. My class A required leveling first and I recall the one time I forgot to level first my slide got bound up when it started to go out. My FW manual makes no statement about leveling first, so I've ran both slides in and out without my stabilizers down.

Having said that, the key with any TT or FW is to first get level side-to-side using boards or pads under the low-side wheels, then unhitch using your TT tongue jack or FW front jacks. After driving the TV away, level front-to-back with your tongue or FW jacks, and then put down your rear stabilizers and front stabilizers (TT). No TT or FW should lean excessively after putting out the slides once you've leveled.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Level before or after slides are out?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS