|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Florida Turnpike tolls question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
NanciL

Bakersville, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/13 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was in Homestead Florida, and noticed that the Florida turnpike had a sign that said: "Electronic tolls only".

Does anyone know what happens if someone starts onto the Turnpike and doesn't have the Sun Pass?
Are there other sections of the Turnpike that are like this too?

Jack L

Jack & Nanci

Luke Porter

National Director

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/13 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They bill you by mail. Guess they a take a picture of the license plate and get your registration info.

As I have a Sunpass I don't pay any attention to the toll booths. But, I think they start north of Fort Lauderdale.

Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

retired4fun2002

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/13 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been there, done that, ha! We were living in VA at the time. We jumped on without seeing the sign you mentioned. As we traveled we realized that it had no Toll Takers.........and the sweat bags began. I could see my butt being arrested.......in this day and age! In the end, we drove off, they capture your car, license plate and sent me a toll ticket, plus a $3-5.00 processing fee. I mailed it in, never heard again - and never go near there, ever!! We don't have the SunPass or any of those Pass things, we don't travel where we need it. You might pull up the website and see if they have a statement in there concerning this area. Safe travels.

Rollnhome

Corner I-10 & I-8

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/13 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was told a camera reads your license plate and will bill you ....... so off we went. Had to stop at 2 toll booths that did not have electronic plate readers and pay very small tolls. Went from Key West to Jackson. This was in October I haven't heard from anyone about the tolls.

2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

rr2254545

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/13 08:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rollnhome wrote:

I was told a camera reads your license plate and will bill you ....... so off we went. Had to stop at 2 toll booths that did not have electronic plate readers and pay very small tolls. Went from Key West to Jackson. This was in October I haven't heard from anyone about the tolls.

Yep still waiting for my bill from Feb of 2011 but that was when they first took out the cash lanes

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited, Air Force One
183 Campgrounds in the past 5 years

NCWriter

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/13 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jack, last winter we were on the turnpike without a Sunpass from up around Hobe Sound all the way down en route to the Keys. The overhead cameras did read our NC plate on the van per the signs, and I was worried that the bill would come while we were still in Florida.

It did come, but about four or five weeks later IIRC. Money was not due for about six weeks after the bill came. The bill even had a cute little photo of our vehicle passing under the metal catwalk - yep, that's us! We sent money, no prob. Apparently Florida motor vehicles folks are in cahoots with others around the US and they track your address down.

Last fall we bought a sunpass transponder from a Publix store. You get a slightly better rate, so over time in pays for itself. Went on line to activate it with a credit card. You program it to add more money to the account in the amount you prefer when it drops to a certain level.

Works fine. We got the portable transponder with suction cups (about $20 or $25) that you can remove and use in another vehicle. (You have to give their web site the tag info on any car or cars to be covered by their system.)

But there are also cheap(free?)stickers that work too - they just are not re-usable if you change RVs - no good when scraped off.

Works all over Florida on other toll roads like the Pinellas Bayway out to Fort DeSoto.

2006 Leisure Travel Van Free Spirit Sprinter

rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/13 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went from Florida City to Cocoa passing through the cameras last March and still haven't seen a bill in the mail.

Rich and Joyce
2010 HiLo 2310H
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU

travel4family

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/13 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We drove from Orlando to Stuart then down to Key Largo and back in November over a year ago (2011) and paid tolls until there were no booths. Assumed we would be billed by registration from the what the signs said but never were. I've kind of assumed that maybe they only bill you if you rack up a certain amount on a license plate, otherwise it's probably not worth it.

rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/13 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

travel4family wrote:

We drove from Orlando to Stuart then down to Key Largo and back in November over a year ago (2011) and paid tolls until there were no booths. Assumed we would be billed by registration from the what the signs said but never were. I've kind of assumed that maybe they only bill you if you rack up a certain amount on a license plate, otherwise it's probably not worth it.

That's a good thought!

dkreuzen

Lake Havasu City, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/13 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is the "simple" answer I got when I send an email to SunPass.com asking about a Motorhome pulling a toad.

The SunToll account can be used only for The Turnpike Enterprise roads;Florida Turnpike, Sawgrass Expressway, I-75 and I-95. You will not be able to use it on MDX- Miami (Miami-Dade Expressway), E-Pass(Oralando), The Tampa-Hillsborough County Expressway and LeeWay roads. SunPass is a prepaid toll system available to Florida and out-of-state residents. To open an account, you must purchase a transponder. You may purchase the portable or Mini sticker transponder online, at any Turnpike Service Plaza, CVS Pharmacy or Publix Supermarket. The portable transponder costs $25.00, plus tax. Then there is a minimum of $25.00 for your initial prepaid toll balance.
When towing, you can use the SunPass lanes. The toll for the additional axle(s) will be calculated and deducted from the transponder during subsequent use. In order to avoid the possibility of double charges, buy a
portable transponder and keep it in the lead vehicle when towing and in the single vehicle when not towing. In order to be read the transponder must be centered and lowered towards the dashboard in the RV.
Please be advised, you may use your Portable transponder in any vehicle in which you wish to use it. Please remember to have the transponder properly mounted in any vehicle in which it is used. However, Sunpass requires you to add this vehicle tag to your SunPass account at your earliest opportunity.
Preferably, before you drive through a toll. If it is after you go through a toll, please make sure your start date and time (on the vehicle page) is prior to usage.
If you are adding a rental vehicle, you have to select the subscription start and end day. If your account has the current vehicle description including tag# and you miss a toll, the SunPass system will I-toll your account. I-Toll stands for image tolling, which means if your transponder does not pay the toll a picture of your vehicles tag# is captured. With the vehicle tag# we are able to locate your SunPass account and deduct the toll amount that was missed.
You may do that online or by contacting our Customer Service Department toll-free at 1-888-865-5352, Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
If you have any other questions or concerns, you may feel free to email
https://www.sunpass.com/contactSunPass at any time.

Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2007 16' Car Hauler Trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Florida Turnpike tolls question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes