|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> fantastic fan reverse air flow

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/13 10:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

I thought that some of these fans could operate with the vent cover closed and act like a standard ceiling fan???
bumpy

I don't think so. If I run my Fantastic Fan (exhaust) on low and dome open without opening a window you can hear the fan strain to draw air - open a window and the sound of the fan motor noticeably changes. If reversed with the dome closed the fan would be pulling on the dome. I don't have a reverse switch to try it.

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/13 10:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have been looking at adding the reverse switch to the Roadtrek's Fantastic Fan. As I understand it, from someone who ordered the conversion from Fantastic Fan, you are replacing the entire plastic panel that contains the dome knob, thermostat, and speed control with one that adds the direction switch. The conversion panel is about $60 on some RV supply websites and from Fantastic Fan directly. For another $100 you can get the kit that adds the rain sensor and auto-close dome, but that is a more involved installation as described in another reply.

loving retirement

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/13 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

senf wrote:

I have searched the archives, but not had any results back. Has anyone modified their single direction fantastic fan to enable it to also reverse the air flow direction? If so, how did you do it?

If you are not handy with electrical wiring purchase one of the Fantastic Fan upgrade kits, otherwise purchase a $4.00 DPDT switch from Radio Shack, cut a small hole in the plastic cover and you will be able to operate the Fantastic Fan in both directions. Took me about 30 minutes. All you are doing with the DPDT switch is reversing the 12VDC supply voltage to the DC fan motor.

Gene in NE

Omaha

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/13 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1775 wrote:

I also have been looking at adding the reverse switch to the Roadtrek's Fantastic Fan. As I understand it, from someone who ordered the conversion from Fantastic Fan, you are replacing the entire plastic panel that contains the dome knob, thermostat, and speed control with one that adds the direction switch. The conversion panel is about $60 on some RV supply websites and from Fantastic Fan directly. For another $100 you can get the kit that adds the rain sensor and auto-close dome, but that is a more involved installation as described in another reply.
My brother-in-law had that feature on his fan and hated it. He claimed that almost anything would trigger the rain sensor (like a sprinkler system) and the dome would close. The problem is that it did not open after the sprinkler or rain and when you got back it was hot and stuffy.

2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/13 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine would reopen after the sensor dried, didn't take very long, and if I remember right, you could switch the rain sensor off, or on.

senf

Nanaimo,BC,Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/13 10:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all who replied. I thought about the rain sensor, but living on the 'wet coast' would mean it would be shut off most of the time. Now we can open the vent until fan starts and unless it is raining really hard, the air flow keeps the rain out. I see the 'rain' problem solution to be a vent cover (from Fantastic Fan).

"Drive with Care, Life has no Spare!"
2008 Roadtrek C190V 6.0L Hella Fog, Nighthawk Driving, Halogen Reverse Lights, Fiamma Air Horn, Firestone Air Bags, Custom Bed & Mattress, Custom O/Head Tray. website www.sen-f.ca

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/13 01:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea, but the remote control is really nice on those cold nights, and mornings.

Gene in NE

Omaha

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/13 12:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Roadtrek wrote:

Mine would reopen after the sensor dried, didn't take very long, and if I remember right, you could switch the rain sensor off, or on.
My brother-in-law's was in a 2005 Gulf-Stream. Maybe it was the wrong model. I now remember him telling me that he could run the fan manually. This happened when I started shopping for one for my unit, he did not recommend the rain sensor on his. So, I did not get a rain sensor on mine. Maybe another model would be different. Thanks Rodger.

MarshaNichols

Salinas

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/13 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wanted to get a vent cover so I could leave my vent open 24-7 and not rush out to close it when it starts to rain. Anyway, I was told that with the Fantastic Fan (which I love), a vent cover is not recommended! Any comments, ideas, etc?

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/13 11:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MarshaNichols wrote:

I wanted to get a vent cover so I could leave my vent open 24-7 and not rush out to close it when it starts to rain. Anyway, I was told that with the Fantastic Fan (which I love), a vent cover is not recommended! Any comments, ideas, etc?

I have put vent covers over FFs myself. they make them with a larger exhaust area but haven't used them. I suppose on high they do cut down some air flow but I generally don't operate them on high anyway.
bumpy

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> fantastic fan reverse air flow
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS