|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> TV mod for Jayco Greyhawk wardrobe

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Just Jeff

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/13 10:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a huge deal but it'll definitely make our Greyhawk more enjoyable.

The bedroom TV in the Greyhawk is in the top section of the wardrobe and it doesn't tilt. That makes the picture look blacked out when we're laying in bed, and we have to sit up straight to get a better angle and make it look right. I thought about trying to tilt it, but even then it wouldn't be very comfortable looking up near the ceiling.

So I took out the middle drawer and moved the TV down there. I had to adjust the crossbrace because the TV door was bigger than the drawer. Then I took the drawer face off the drawer, turned it upside down, and put hinges on it to make it into an overhead cabinet.

Now the TV is more comfortable to watch and the picture looks good...AND it doubled the storage space in the middle section of the wardrobe. Before, the TV had a panel about 6" behind it, but it was all empty space that I couldn't get to behind that panel. Now that's usable storage, and the cabinet has more space than the drawer had.

All in all, a pretty easy mod but I'm pretty happy with it.

Pics here if you're interested.

http://www.rv.tothewoods.net/TVWardrobeMod.html

* This post was edited 03/27/13 08:20am by Just Jeff *

2013 Jayco Greyhawk 29KS (31.5') - details at http://www.rv.tothewoods.net/

doxiemom11

Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/13 10:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very clever - I like it.

jalichty

Lander, Wyoming 82520

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/13 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you put stuff behind the TV? Is that how you got more storage space? Or, did you just put a shelf over the TV and get more storage space. Just wondered if it gets hot behind the TV? NIce mod.

John A. Lichty

Just Jeff

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/13 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will put stuff behind the TV. I never noticed it getting too hot back there when the panel was behind it, and now there's more volume to dissipate the heat so I don't think it'll be a problem. We'll just have to make sure nothing heavy is back there that could slide into the TV.

There is also a shelf above the TV...this used to be the drawer below the TV. Because I don't have to make room for the drawer slides anymore, this also adds some volume to the usable storage. It also opens up the rear area because the drawer didn't extend all the way to the rear and the new cabinet does.

az99

NY.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/13 07:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job!
You have to remember that Jayco is only interested in how quick,easy and cheap anything can be done. Ours had a TV that was parallel to the bed and 1 ft. away. It was impossible to see it at a 90ยบ angle. Had to set a chair in the hall to view it straight on.

Just Jeff

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/13 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah. The woodwork is pretty nice and there was no raw wood visible anywhere in the original configuration, but it just wasn't user friendly. I'm sure it was the cheapest way to appeal to the targeted market, though.

Now I can see the wrong-side of the paneling inside the cabinet...but I really don't care. It looks nice all closed up and the space is useable now - and if anyone complains about what the inside of my closet looks like they might just find themselves uninvited from my home! [emoticon]

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/13 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice mod. Looks very professional.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Yeti plus

S.W. Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/13 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice work. Camping World has those spring "hold the door open" devices.( Sometimers hits again! can't remember the name of them![emoticon]).
They aren't very costly, I think $4 for two. I needed some for the camper and picked them up when we stopped in for a shop for the trailer and camper side trip last year.

2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Mremdal33

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/13 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very Nice. Not sure why they put the tv up so high in the first place!

Just Jeff

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/13 08:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Added ClosetMaid shelving behind the TV and overhead door this evening. There's a shelf on bottom, just above the bottom drawer, then a ClosetMaid drawer right behind the TV. On top of that drawer is a great little nook for the DVD player and Playstation. One more shelf for the overhead door makes it a great use of space. Already put extra kitchen appliances in the overhead cabinet.

Still need springs to hold the door open but that can wait. I'll check Camping World - thanks for the recommendation.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> TV mod for Jayco Greyhawk wardrobe
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS