|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Motorcycle Wheel Chock

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Chlirod

Fort Worth, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/13 12:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am considering purchasing a Condor "ride in" wheel chock for my Toyhauler. Looking for some info.

Has anyone here used one? I am leaning toward the Trailer Kit, but do not want to hard mount the base to the floor of the camper as I think it will be in the way, and I will trip over it constantly. Here is my question, if the motorcycle is secured at 4 points, what is the risk of not securing the chock? What if I mounted it to a rubber mat, or some kind of plywood base for stability? Then when not in use, I can simply store the entire thing out of the way. Thoughts? Experience?

All help appreciated.

remoandiris

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/13 01:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't mention what bike you have. I trailered my 1988 GL1500 a few times using 4 ratcheting straps. I compressed the front forks a bit with one strap on each pulling down and slightly forward and secured the rear with one strap on each side pulling toward the rear. The bike stood straight up on it's tires and rode on it's own suspension since the front wasn't fully compressed. It didn't move.

2011 GMC 3500 Dually
New to me 2006 Jayco Designer 38RDQS
2 Boxers and a Maine Coon

concord32

Indianapolis

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/13 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-chock-69026.html

I bought this at Harbor Freight. The base plate bolts to the floor the top attaches to the plate for easy removal when not in use. The base plate is less than 1" off the floor. We through a rug over it and never triped over it. One suggestion though. You should put a block of wood under the frame on the bike to the floor so that when you strap it down you get a firm conection between the bike and the floor. If you dont the springs will travel and loosen up the straps and you will open the door to a bike laying agaist the wall. (dont ask how I know) Happy bike hauling!!!!!

2011 Coachmen Concord 32' Triton V-10 1-slide.

chiefneon

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/13 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy!

The Condor is well worth the money. Been using one for several years. Ride you bike up step off no worry while tying it down. I would buy another one if I needed it.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Chlirod

Fort Worth, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/13 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, should have been clearer. I have a Concours 14 which presents a couple of challenges. I've hauled lots of different kinds of bikes, but not the C14 yet.

First, it has cast aluminum handlebards which means they should NOT be used as tie down points as they are prone to cracking when stressed. And unfortunately, there are no other points on the front that provide stability - not high enough.

Second, there is a lot of plastic in the way, so any tie down point for the front has to be very close to the line of the front forks - think about having to thread tie downs up under fairing, around lower triple tree, and then nearly (but not quite) straight down to avoid any pressure on the fairing.

My WorknPlay has 6 factory installed tie down hooks, but they are all toward the outer walls, so to make it work without the chock, I would need to drill and add at least two loops in the proper location.

My thinking is I could get the Condor (or even the harbor freight) chock and mount to a backing plate for vertical stability, and then use the existing tie down points in the camper, attached to my front and rear crash guards, for horizontal and lateral stability. I just don't want to have to permanently attach the wheel chock to the floor.

Bottom line, I will probably buy this and test to see if it is stable enough without hard mounting, and if not, will go ahead and engineer a detachable solution. Just hoping someone has already done this successfully so not to recreate the wheel (chock).

And by the way neon, one of my motorcycle buddies is from Livingston, last name Evans - do you know those vagabonds?

Texas Hauler

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/13 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a condor and one from Harbor Freight. The Harbor Freight one is awesome for the price. It's plenty sturdy, I use it with a 800lb Harley and have no problems.

This one http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-stand-wheel-chock-97841.html

2010 F250 6.4L
2013 MXT 312
Reese Dual Cam

gjwarneke

Seeley Lake, Mt./San Felipe B.C. Mx.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/13 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x2 what chiefneon posted

remoandiris

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/13 03:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chlirod wrote:

First, it has cast aluminum handlebards which means they should NOT be used as tie down points as they are prone to cracking when stressed. And unfortunately, there are no other points on the front that provide stability - not high enough.

What about securing straps to the triple tree? When properly used, quality ratcheting straps will NOT loosen no matter how rough the ride is.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/13 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a couple Condors and am very pleased with them. I also have the Harbor Freight, and I much prefer the rigidity of the Condor. Do you have the D-rings in the floor for tie downs? This is how I secure mine and leaves the floor clear:

I use the Canyon Dancer tie downs with very little tension on the front. And tie downs in the rear to keep the bike from swaying too much. I would be very uneasy not having the chock secured somehow. I've never tried it and it may be fine, but I would be uncomfortable that way.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

linnemj

Northern Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/13 04:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Bottom line, I will probably buy this and test to see if it is stable enough without hard mounting, and if not, will go ahead and engineer a detachable solution."

We have a Forest River XLR and went through this same process a year ago. Since the garage is also our bedroom, I wanted to keep the floor clean. We used two Condor chocks unsecured and four tie down points for the first year. My wife's bike, a BMW R1100R, about 540 lbs rode in the back fine since it's weight is down low. My Honda ST1100, 750 lbs tipped many times. We found the unsecured chock would move to the outside making the bike tip in towards the other bike. It never fell, but it did rub one time against the BMW and it was a pain to get the Honda out of the garage then.

Last spring I bought the floor mount brackets for the condor chocks. I paid an independent RV tech. to install them into the floor since it involved dropping our 100 gallon fresh water tank. They secure the bikes well. When we use the area as a bedroom, we put a rug over the brackets. They are only up 1/4 to 1/3 inch off the floor.

My suggestion is to try your bike with an unsecured chock on a short trip to see how it works. I would secure it with 4 tie downs. Do you have anything low and in the middle of the bike you could use for the front tie downs? I am removing the covers of the tip over wings on my Honda and securing the bike there. It works great!

Experiment and see what works for you!

Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Motorcycle Wheel Chock
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers