RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Receptacles not working on our 210 Roadtrek (2008)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Receptacles not working on our 210 Roadtrek (2008)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
esquaredg

Houston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/13 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello all,

Thanks or taking the time to read my question. We went camping this weekend and had two issues. The first is with the receptacle above the Kitchen sink and the two receptacles in the DVD and TV section.

All are currently dead. Other receptacles on the side in the Bed area all work fine. It is simply a circuit which seems to be out. I have reset all breakers and checked all fuses.

This is one of those GFI outlets. The one in the bathroom is similar. They both have two buttons. What I noticed with the Kitchen one is that both buttons are pushed (flush) in. The bathroom one has one button out and the other flush. So I am thinking I need to change out the GFI outlet.

I was wondering if others have experienced a similar problem? All advice is appreciated. My thought is to replace the GFI in the kitchen. But that would be a guess.

Thank you all for your help!

Eric

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/13 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you try pushing the button that is out? If yes and it did not reset, would indicate no power or yes a bad GFCI receptacle.
Have you checked the 120 volt AC circuit breakers? Try resetting them. Move circuit breaker handle to off with slight pressure toward off. Then turn back on. Do not allow circuit breaker to snap off, use the handle.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

esquaredg

Houston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/13 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello Bud,

Thank you for your comment. Yes I reset all breakers and pulled each fuse to check if good. All look good. The smaller button on the receptacle is pushed in (which on the bathroom receptacle it is "out"). I tried to push the button to release, but it will not pop out.

My thought is that it is a bad GFI receptacle. I have little experience with these types of receptacles so I don't know how they should react. I also thought that this was odd in general and was not willing to accept that as the issue because it seemed so weird that a GFI receptacle would go bad.

So you think changing the receptacle is my first choice?

Thanks again,

Eric

RonBoyd

Denver, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/13 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is also a GFI receptacle beside the house batteries. Pushing that one has worked for me several times -- and, I guess, that implies that a "bad" receptacle may not be the problem.

2008 Roadtrek 210 Versatile

esquaredg

Houston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/13 10:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello all,

First thing, Ron, thank you for your comments. I did not know there was a 110 outlet in the exterior part of the coach. Thank you for mentioning it. Now I know. And can / will use it.

I thank you all for your comments. Oddly enough all is working (electrical) now. I connected to shore power at my home and the plugs now work. I am still confused about the problem. I now know that there are 3 GFI receptacles in the coach. Kitchen, bathroom, and Outside (Battery Box). I am not sure what fixed the problem, but
I believe the button in the bathroom being “out” may have been the issue. Both the Kitchen and Outside GFI the buttons were flush. The bathroom had one button “popped” out. I had reset this and checked but did not see any changes. Again, I am confused… but it appears all is working now.

Thank you all again for your help!

Eric

RonBoyd

Denver, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/13 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, Eric, I believe you tripped the breaker on the inverter. The two outlets that you mentioned (above the sink and audio/visual cabinet) are 110v supplied through the Inverter. This has happened to me a number times when I disconnect from Shore Power and have left a high-wattage device operating (a heater, for instance) on that circuit. The first couple times, I solved the problem by 1) starting the Generator or 2) plugging back in to Shore Power and then shutting down the offending device.

There is also a RESET on the unit that you need to be aware of. Here is what the manual says -

Resetting Your Inverter/Charger to Restore AC Power

Your Inverter/Charger may cease supplying AC power or DC charging power in order to protect itself from overload or to protect your electrical system. To restore normal functioning:

Overload Reset: Switch operating mode switch to “OFF” and remove some of the connected electrical load (ie: turn off some of the AC devices drawing power which may have caused the overload of the unit). Wait one minute, then switch operating mode switch back on.”

If you don't have a Manual you can get a PDF version at roadtrek.com

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/13 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with all of the possible solutions that have been suggested, especially checking out the inverter as these are the prime outlets on the inverter.

In the end if nothing here fixes the problem, GFI outlets do go bad - and one that has tripped will effect any other outlet on the same line of wiring after that outlet. So if the reset is bad, you need to replace the GFI outlet. They are no different to replace than any other house outlet. There will be instructions in the box showing which wire goes where - and you could just change the wires from the old outlet to the new one for one in the same place. You can buy these outlets in Lowes or Home Depot - same ones used in the Roadtrek.

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

esquaredg

Houston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/13 04:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all…

On Page E-1 of the 2007 Roadtrek manual it talks about “Receptacle functionality”. As those have pointed out, I must have overloaded the inverter. I am concerned that this happened, because I don’t know what I did that would caused an overload… But if it happens again. I will know what to do.

I read through the documentation but never found where it told me the Inverter is physically located. If someone would help me with that I would appreciate it.

Thank You All Again!

Eric

PSW

Oklahoma City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/13 07:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what it is worth, I kept having a similar problem on our 2007 RT 210P. I identified the source as GFI in the kitchen mounted horizontally above the sink and slightly to the right. As 1775 indicated above, Home Depot sells an identical plug for about $8 as I recall. I replaced it and never had a problem again and that was three years or so ago.

PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350

RonBoyd

Denver, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/13 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

esquaredg wrote:

I read through the documentation but never found where it told me the Inverter is physically located. If someone would help me with that I would appreciate it.

The mystery was solved in this excellent article:

In Search of the Elusive Roadtrek Inverter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Receptacles not working on our 210 Roadtrek (2008)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS