RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Cleaning Day/night shades?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Cleaning Day/night shades?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
luvdoggiez

Sunny Sacramento County California

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/13 10:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi everyone, We have an 03' Allegro Bus with day/night shades. I love the shades, except they are getting dirty. How does everyone clean theirs? I am contemplating getting a steam cleaner/mop for the tile floor and I know that they make one that detaches to clean counters and such. Has anyone ever used one of these steam cleaners? Otherwise, how did you do it?
Thanks!

Fulltiming with 1 Boxer, 1 Heinz-57 mutt, a great Pit Bull plus 1 cat
2003 Allegro Bus 40DP that we absolutely love! :-)
Our Blog

xctraveler

Livingston TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/13 11:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Day/night shades? Pleated or rollers? Wouldn't steam the pleated variety, there are too many parts that might be damaged by the steam and the pleat would not hold up either. Haven't seen the rollers taken apart yet so no opinion on them.

Paul
Trucking down the road in our 2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

Doug and Cassi Glass

Satellite Beach, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/13 03:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My pleated ones would be very difficult to steam clean, especially the top half. I've had several of mine apart to restring them and the top half appears to be made of some kind of paper product.

joraz

Tucson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/13 08:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a link with simple instructions. We just cleaned all of ours using this method and it worked great. It uses Oxiclean. Good lick.
jor

cleanshades

95 Foretravel
Cummins M11 400
Allison 4060

doxiemom11

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/13 10:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone else had trouble with the Oxiclean affecting the paint like the reviewer states? What would you use if you don't have a bathtub. We have only a shower - I guess I could fill the base of the shower with water and do 1 shade at a time.... concerned about the paint thing though.

joraz

Tucson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/13 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doxie wrote:

Anyone else had trouble with the Oxiclean affecting the paint like the reviewer states? What would you use if you don't have a bathtub. We have only a shower - I guess I could fill the base of the shower with water and do 1 shade at a time

All of ours were too large to immerse in the bathtub. We placed them diagonally in the tub and poured the Oxiclean water over them and rubbed a few areas with our fingers. We did not soak them for the required 30 minutes but they all came out very clean. These babies have been hanging in this rig since 95 so you can imagine. All had those kind of darkened water spot-like stains and were just generally dirty . Took a lot of rinsing because the water got dirty right away. I think the shower could be used for the rinsing if you like. We sun dried ours. They came out great with no paint or other issues. Quite pleased because we intended to replace all of them if this hadn't worked.

I had never heard of this Oxyclean stuff but I'm a believer now. Threw in several pair of old flip flops and a bunch of greasy ball caps. I gotta say, I'm lookin' good now!

Good luck.
jor

doxiemom11

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/13 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm assuming you use the oxi clean for laundry? There are several products to choose from. Also heard this was used and worked well to clean the carpet ceilings. Hope I don't have to try that for several years. Ours is 13 yrs old and looks great.

joraz

Tucson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/13 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I'm assuming you use the oxi clean for laundry?

Yea. We just bought a big box of it at Lowes after reading a thread on another forum which recommended it for cleaning the day-nights.
jor

wilco

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/13 09:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used the following system on fabric pleated shades. I only did the opaque section, not the translucent part.

Vacuumed thoroughly. Sprayed on automotive upholstery cleaner and let it rest as per the instructions. Used a wet/dry vac to draw out the liquid before it had a chance to dry.Tedious, but pretty effective IMHO.

tfw

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Cleaning Day/night shades?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS