RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Equalizer leveling systems circa 2003

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Equalizer leveling systems circa 2003

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
gstell

La Grange, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/13 11:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone replaced the equalizer leveling foot on their coach? This system was used in the Travel Supreme and I have two bad jack feet ('03 Travel Supreme - so out of warranty). Had one Foot bolt unscrew and the foot fell off - luckily I was in a campground and not on the road. Tried to reattach, and can not get it tight (the foot still wobbles). How would one hold the hydraulic tube secure (without damaging it) in order to tighten the bolt?? Have contacted equalizer and they suggested replacing the feet I have with part number 1603FW.

While on the topic, has anyone replaced the seals? I have one that has begun to leak and not sure if they need a special compression tool to install or not.

Equalizer Systems are more than willing to sell the parts, but are very "tight lipped" about the repairs. Anyone see any technical drawings on the hydraulic ram/feet??

Thanks,

Gary

Gary & Cathy Stellpflug
And of course, Yoda, Otis, & Figgy (Our Pugs)
'03 36' Travel Supreme
">

plootsa

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/13 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes i replaced all 4 foot pads i had to heat the center bolt to melt the locktite on the threads i used a pair of vice grips to hold the piston from turning. rubber taped the area were i used the vice grips. the big problem i ran into the one jack piston fell right out of the cylinder i had to remove the whole jack to get the net back on the top of the piston why this happened i don know

sailor_lou

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/13 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never seen any manufacturing drawing either, but after looking at the configuration I believe plootsa is on the mark. However, I would start by using a rubber strap wrench to hold the piston because even the slightest scratch or dent in the ram will cause it to leak forever. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

gstell

La Grange, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/13 01:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@ plootsa - I assume you had a pit to drop the jacks into? I've been told not to heat the bolts unless the jack it fully extended - could damage the seal otherwise. BTW the one that I am having trouble with came unbolted by itself. Fortunately I watch my jacks go up and it dropped off right in front of me. Just can get the foot tight enough (wobbles like crazy).

gstell

La Grange, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/13 01:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sailor_lou wrote:

I have never seen any manufacturing drawing either, but after looking at the configuration I believe plootsa is on the mark. However, I would start by using a rubber strap wrench to hold the piston because even the slightest scratch or dent in the ram will cause it to leak forever. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

Tried a rubber strap wrench, and still couldn't tighten down the bolt. I plan to try and rig a stand to drop the jack on to with 4 X 6's and this will allow me to get the wrench under the jack and maybe the slight pressure on the rigged stand with keep the piston from turning.

plootsa

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/13 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No leaks it didnt take much heat to melt the locktite but i dont no if i got the piston nut on real tight just snug no way to hold the nut other than a screwdriver in the fluid line fitting hole.

sailor_lou

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/13 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regarding:

"I plan to try and rig a stand to drop the jack on to with 4 X 6's and this will allow me to get the wrench under the jack and maybe the slight pressure on the rigged stand with keep the piston from turning."

That was my exact thought, I'd be interested in how that works out. I'd also run a tap into the threads first to clean them out as much as possible and check to see if the bolt is bottoming out. They do move about a little, but obviously shouldn't be flopping around. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/13 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wrap a rag around the piston and hold it with you hand, then use a ½" impact wrench to loosen or tighten the bolt. The piston will turn in you hand but the impact wrench will shake the bolt loose or tight.

Richard

plootsa

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/13 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes they will wobble somewhat because they are on a swivel so that if you are on uneven dirt they can move the new feet are really renforced with gusets welded toward the center piviot hole which my old ones didnt have.

gstell

La Grange, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/13 12:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK Guys, I know it has been a while - but I have been kind of busy. This was RV repair week. and I did replace my driver's side rear Equalizer leveling foot. Took less than an hour. I left the jacks retracted and put the allen wrench socket into the old bolt. Gave it a couple of tugs (not too hard as I didn't want to damage the ram) and the bolt came loose. With the bolt still in place but loosened, I then ran that jack down onto two 4x4's stacked on either side of the old jack foot (gave me about 7.5" of work space under the jack foot). When the foot was just making contact with the 4x4's I totally removed the bolt and ran the ram up slightly. Took out the old foot, replaced it with the new foot, and brought the ram down centered on the new foot until there was light pressure on the 4x4's. Gooped up the new bolt with blue locktite and screwed it into the ram through the foot. Tightened up the bolt (nice and snug but not over tight) and ran the jack foot back up into the stowed position. Checked the "tightness" of the new foot as compared to the other three feet and found it to be a little lose. Brought the jack foot back down onto the 4x4's and tightened the bolt up a bit more (I have a tendency of over torqing bolts, so I was taking it easy - did not want to damage the threads in the ram). Ran it back up into the stowed position and it is just as tight as the other three. Observations: The new foot is much lighter than the old foot but appears to be better re-enforced. Equalizer recommends changing the bolt, so for a couple of bucks it was well worth it. An estimate from an RV repair shop for this job was almost $500.00. I was able to accomplish it in less than and hour for around $85.00. Now that I see how easy it is, I will probably change the other three feet. Taking the coach out next week and will see how it works then. I will just keep monitoring the new foot until I am confident that it is sufficiently tight.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Equalizer leveling systems circa 2003
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS